Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Wiring

Options
  • 31-07-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi - We are planning to do some work in our small back garden, which includes replacing a large ugly metal shed with a more reasonably sized timber garden shed.

The old metal shed is wired with electricity (a fluorescent light and switch, two indoor sockets and two outdoor sockets) and is also connected to the house alarm system (a contact sensor at the door).

The plan is for the landscaper to remove the old shed and the large concrete base and set up a new, smaller concrete base. The shed will then be installed by the shed supplier (abwood.ie).

We would like the new shed to also be wired (not necessarily alarmed) but the shed supplier won't do any electrical wiring.

So I expect we will have to get a qualified electrician to do the wiring. But I was wondering - is there something I should ask the landscaper to do with the old wiring to facilitate wiring the new shed? Or is this a job that can be easily done from scratch again?

Thanks,
    Chanquete

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You will need to get an electrician to safely disconnect the existing supply.

Then you may want the new supply run in underground (depending on the situation/layout).

I would suggest that it may be best to have the new supply in place so that it can come up through the new floor before they pour the concrete. Underground cabling can greatly improve the appearance.

To be sure you would need to get the electrician to look at this first before work commences.

Make sure you use a registered (either ECSSA or RECI) electrical contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    You will need to get an electrician to safely disconnect the existing supply.

Then you may want the new supply run in underground (depending on the situation/layout).

I would suggest that it may be best to have the new supply in place so that it can come up through the new floor before they pour the concrete. Underground cabling can greatly improve the appearance.

To be sure you would need to get the electrician to look at this first before work commences.

Make sure you use a registered (either ECSSA or RECI) electrical contractor.

great advice
    i would also run an alarm cable in too

Advertisement