Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluray drive.

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Built up the computer over a week ago. Went to see The Dark Knight Rises and decided I wanted to get the trilogy on Bluray. Anyone suggest a decent drive for fairly cheap? I have a mate giving away a ps3 thats completely fried but the disk drive still works. Any chance of being able to use it in the pc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

+1 for the honest man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looked into this before as I had an original PS3 that died, the BD disk is a5.25 drive and will physically fit into a PC, but then the fun starts :)

Think it can be done but the Sony drive is IDE, so to start you will want an older mobo with IDE. It involves a lot of fluting about with pinouts, chopping and re-joining IDE ribbon cables, etc.

Have a link somewhere about it but google is your friend. TBH think its more hassle than its worth. Stick the fried PS3 up on adverts-got €50 fro mine as people buy them for the parts and put the sponds towards a decent BD drive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Won't it be like a year until the trilogy comes out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Won't it be like a year until the trilogy comes out?

Ye I know. There are other films I'd like to watch on Bluray it just gave me the final push towards finally buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

glynf wrote: »
    Looked into this before as I had an original PS3 that died, the BD disk is a5.25 drive and will physically fit into a PC, but then the fun starts :)

Think it can be done but the Sony drive is IDE, so to start you will want an older mobo with IDE. It involves a lot of fluting about with pinouts, chopping and re-joining IDE ribbon cables, etc.

Have a link somewhere about it but google is your friend. TBH think its more hassle than its worth. Stick the fried PS3 up on adverts-got €50 fro mine as people buy them for the parts and put the sponds towards a decent BD drive

Ye I looked and came across mixed opinions as to whether you could or couldn't. I think I'll go with your idea of putting it up on adverts. I despise electronics. It's always been my worst subject in my Mech Eng degree. Cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement