Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leopard intelligence/hunting tricks

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Does any of you, by any chance, remember an article or reference to one case in which a leopard feigned death when attacked by baboons, and then when one of the baboons went closer to inspect "the body", the leopard killed it?
    I remember quite clearly reading about this and even seeing the photographs but I can´t seem to find the thing anywhere anymore.

I find it interesting that leopards were said to do exactly this in some African folktales, and I remember that one captive black panther (was it in Florida's Big Cat Rescue?) was known to use pumpkin seeds as bait to attract birds and squirrels to an ambush.
    The more I learn about these cats the more in awe I am. :cool:

Plus they're just awesome:

215356.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The fact that leopards are still found in areas where other big cats are long extinct(including certain cities like Bombay) certainly sets them apart in terms of intelligiance and adabtability.

PS: I hope to visit a breeding centre for endangered Arabian Leopards in Sharjah(UAE) this autumn so I'll try to bring back some extra info and pics of these iconic felids:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The fact that leopards are still found in areas where other big cats are long extinct(including certain cities like Bombay) certainly sets them apart in terms of intelligiance and adabtability.

PS: I hope to visit a breeding centre for endangered Arabian Leopards in Sharjah(UAE) this autumn so I'll try to bring back some extra info and pics of these iconic felids:)

Don´t forget to ask the folks there about their intelligence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I read something bout that before
    I also read that leopards have similar strategies of the mountain lion
    That they prefer attacks from above such as trees or rock ledges and their attacks from ground are very similar aswell as waitin for prey to come close and attacks are not long to be completed
    Its a pity that their habitats are being destroyed and now attacks on humans seem to be rising
    Atb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I read something bout that before
    I also read that leopards have similar strategies of the mountain lion
    That they prefer attacks from above such as trees or rock ledges and their attacks from ground are very similar aswell as waitin for prey to come close and attacks are not long to be completed
    Its a pity that their habitats are being destroyed and now attacks on humans seem to be rising
    Atb

Like in the photo in the OP. :D I've heard jaguars use this technique sometimes too- I remember reading something, written by Spanish cronists perhaps, about how in colonial times in the jungles of Mexico (or was it Central America?), men would often carry their spears or swords pointing upwards to prevent jaguars from pouncing on them from tree branches. I don´t remember where I saw it tho.

Advertisement