Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 year old need advertising tips asap

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello I recently set up a buy and sell for the farming community only it launched on the 2nd of jully 2012 and just over 3,000 customers so far not sure if this is good so far and just over 200 ads live and published by different users any way i would love some tips on advertising on where and how to get the name out there i have a stall at the limerick show about 15,000 people there and at the national ploughing championships about 200,000 there really need some help on getting this big for first year as plan is to get to china in 3rd year thanks in advance

Comments

Tullamore show 12th august is probably the second biggest agri show next to the ploughing.
    There are plenty of agri shows around the country. For instance on Monday is the Wicklow show in Tinahely. Great website is http://www.irishshows.org/
    Nearly every farmer reads "The Farmer's Journal" newspaper. So that would be the paper of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hello I recently set up a buy and sell for the farming community only it launched on the 2nd of jully 2012 and just over 3,000 customers so far not sure if this is good so far and just over 200 ads live and published by different users any way i would love some tips on advertising on where and how to get the name out there i have a stall at the limerick show about 15,000 people there and at the national ploughing championships about 200,000 there really need some help on getting this big for first year as plan is to get to china in 3rd year thanks in advance

On another note, i just checked out your website, if your serious about attracting and capturing peoples interest you really need to remove that eye-sore of a background from your website, very unprofessional looking ! I get that the site is about farming, but why is that cow plastered all over the place :)

Anyway good luck with the venture !

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Overflow wrote: »
    On another note, i just checked out your website, if your serious about attracting and capturing peoples interest you really need to remove that eye-sore of a background from your website, very unprofessional looking ! I get that the site is about farming, but why is that cow plastered all over the place :)

I was going to post something similar.

Thank of your customer here ... and think of why some sites (donedeal...) are so popular - Simple to use, easy to navigate.

Also, looking at your facebook display picture, I first thought the url was Mart.ie and that you were now online! I'm sure that isn't what you see when you look at the picture, but you need to make sure your graphics are as simple and clear as possible.

Overall, your site needs a lot of work!

I hope this doesn't come across too critical ... congrats OP on getting your site up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Well done on the site, I would agree with the above posters however, i got a bit of a shock looking at the main page for the market your aiming at and in my opinion the cluttered edges distracts from the from central user section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Onlinemart.ie

Tullamore show 12th august is probably the second biggest agri show next to the ploughing.
    There are plenty of agri shows around the country. For instance on Monday is the Wicklow show in Tinahely. Great website is http://www.irishshows.org/
    Nearly every farmer reads "The Farmer's Journal" newspaper. So that would be the paper of choice.

Thank you yes was looking into the Tullamore but was to late and cash is lowering every day ha have spent just over 4,000 euro so far but the farmers journal is something some how i never taught of thanks for your feedback sorry if my spelling is bad

• Advertisement

Hello,
    This is what i am here for is to get your feedback its new and i am new to this and I have taken your feedback and agree and have widened the whole page so no background thank you very much for your feedback i am serious about this so thanks

MagicRon wrote: »
    I was going to post something similar.

Thank of your customer here ... and think of why some sites (donedeal...) are so popular - Simple to use, easy to navigate.

Also, looking at your facebook display picture, I first thought the url was Mart.ie and that you were now online! I'm sure that isn't what you see when you look at the picture, but you need to make sure your graphics are as simple and clear as possible.

Overall, your site needs a lot of work!

I hope this doesn't come across too critical ... congrats OP on getting your site up :)

Hello no it does not come across too critical this is what i want to hear from customers its like any website they always have problems its just about fixing them. I have taken your advice and agree with it thank you very much

bgo1 wrote: »
    Well done on the site, I would agree with the above posters however, i got a bit of a shock looking at the main page for the market your aiming at and in my opinion the cluttered edges distracts from the from central user section.

Thank you very much I have taking edges away as of feedback from 2 users about it thank you

If you are willing to travel, "The Livestock Event" is on in the NEC Birmingham in early September this year and July next year. A lot of Irish Farmers attend this. http://www.livestockevent.co.uk/. Would also be a way into the UK market. Has an emphasis on the dairy sector.
    Unlike the Irish agri shows, it would be only for farmers with livestock, no crafts or the like. Has about 16,000 visitors, but every visitor would be a prospective customer.

If you are willing to travel, "The Livestock Event" is on in the NEC Birmingham in early September this year and July next year. A lot of Irish Farmers attend this. http://www.livestockevent.co.uk/. Would also be a way into the UK market. Has an emphasis on the dairy sector.
    Unlike the Irish agri shows, it would be only for farmers with livestock, no crafts or the like. Has about 16,000 visitors, but every visitor would be a prospective customer.

Hello,
    Thanks for that but is a bit short notice but will take it into consideration for next year thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Are you as the title suggests 16 years old? If so you should give yourself a very big pat on the back young man( or woman)!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

If your 16, I just want to say fair play to you on the website. You should be very proud of yourself. I am not in the farming / agri business but just to give you my opinion. Firstly I would increase the price slightly, I would start the basic package at €2 and go up from there. At the moment your offering the gold package for free. I think this is a good idea to get people advertising on your site but underneath where it says free I would stick how much it normally costs.

Put something onto the main / first page saying all gold package ads free at the moment, it might help to attract more ads. Go through other online sites that people are selling items that would be suitable for your website and send them a message informing them about your website.

Contact farmers journal and other newspapers in the country. Tell them your story, you might find an editor that is impressed with a 16 year old starting a business. Use facebook to place ad on other peoples page who would be interested in your website.

Just remember to keep at it and working hard.

bizzyb wrote: »
    Are you as the title suggests 16 years old? If so you should give yourself a very big pat on the back young man( or woman)!

Yes I am thank you well this is actually my fourth business one that did not work this was my first lost me about €100 when was 15 but was a lot of money to me ha then but then set up a golf website and is cruising and now this thanks for support

If your 16, I just want to say fair play to you on the website. You should be very proud of yourself. I am not in the farming / agri business but just to give you my opinion. Firstly I would increase the price slightly, I would start the basic package at €2 and go up from there. At the moment your offering the gold package for free. I think this is a good idea to get people advertising on your site but underneath where it says free I would stick how much it normally costs.

Put something onto the main / first page saying all gold package ads free at the moment, it might help to attract more ads. Go through other online sites that people are selling items that would be suitable for your website and send them a message informing them about your website.

Contact farmers journal and other newspapers in the country. Tell them your story, you might find an editor that is impressed with a 16 year old starting a business. Use facebook to place ad on other peoples page who would be interested in your website.

Just remember to keep at it and working hard.

Thanks,
    Yes I am thanks ya was thinking of doinf that ill say like was €3 now free limited time only or that and the €2 could put up as they get homepage add in slideshow and looks good and top of catogrie or could just say was €5 now €2 thanks for all the advice will take all in about papers etc thanks sorry for bad spelling im a disaster must improve think its the chicness

Hello,

Id like to say thanks to all so far helping me with very good advice so far and have taken the background advice and have changed it also the package advice will be changed later as i like the idea by the user thanks keep them coming id like some advice on where to advertise thanks sorry for bad spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

sorry for bad spelling im a disaster must improve think its the chicness

I would be a little more worried about the punctuation (lack of) to be honest.
    That goes for the site as well as your posts on boards by the way.

Good luck with the venture though, it's great to see young people taking an initiative. Ah jaysus I sound old now. :D

Saruman wrote: »
    I would be a little more worried about the punctuation (lack of) to be honest.
    That goes for the site as well as your posts on boards by the way.

Good luck with the venture though, it's great to see young people taking an initiative. Ah jaysus I sound old now. :D

Hello could you please tell me where site needs improving this is what i posted for to get this help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The blog is one of the more text heavy pages. There is little to no punctuation.
    Don't be afraid to use commas and full stops. Without them, you just have a sprawling paragraph that is very difficult to read.
    You don't talk non stop without taking a breath or pause or to change intonation* so don't write that way.
    For instance:
    Competition time.
    How would you like to win NIGHT VISION IN CAR DVR VIDEO CAMERA RECORDER VEHICLE all you have to do is guess the prize follow this link

Apart from not having a question mark at the end of the sentence, there is also no need to make that line caps. If you want it to stand out, make it bold.

The next blog post could do with a comma or two along with some full stops.
    No offence but that's how a child reads, without pausing and simply reading each word in succession.

At least the third (probably technically the first) post has commas between each item.
    We have Livestock, Farm Machinery, Farm Produce, Trailers, Tractors,Horses, Poultry, Quads and much more.

*Unless you are a robot of course, and even robot voices can do all that these days.

Saruman wrote: »
    The blog is one of the more text heavy pages. There is little to no punctuation.
    Don't be afraid to use commas and full stops. Without them, you just have a sprawling paragraph that is very difficult to read.
    You don't talk non stop without taking a breath or pause or to change intonation* so don't write that way.
    For instance:

Apart from not having a question mark at the end of the sentence, there is also no need to make that line caps. If you want it to stand out, make it bold.

The next blog post could do with a comma or two along with some full stops.
    No offence but that's how a child reads, without pausing and simply reading each word in succession.

At least the third (probably technically the first) post has commas between each item.

*Unless you are a robot of course, and even robot voices can do all that these days.

Thanks you. I will update the blog section later. Thank you for your help this is what I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

In the online chat box I would change this
    Hello my name is Damien and id like to say thanks for visiting Onlinemart.ie if i can help you in any way please ask.

to this
    Hello, my name is Damien. Thanks for visiting Onlinemart.ie. How can I help you?

or something similar, but make sure you use the correct punctuation.

• Advertisement

Thanks you. I will update the blog section later. Thank you for your help this is what I am looking for.

Hello,
    I have updated my blog section. Thanks

In the online chat box I would change this

to this

or something similar, but make sure you use the correct punctuation.

Hello,
    Thank you. I have taken this into consideration and changed it.
    Thanks,
    Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I can still see the old background at the bottom of the home page, I would remove it completely !

Also instead of stretching the page across the whole screen, i would put it back the way it was, but remove that cow background and change the background to just a plain color.

I can still see the old background at the bottom of the home page, I would remove it completely !

Also instead of stretching the page across the whole screen, i would put it back the way it was, but remove that cow background and change the background to just a plain color.

Thank you. Did not see it there, will do later when home.
    Thanks,
    Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I don't know if WP is a suitable CMS to use, have a look at Joomla or if you are more advanced - Drupal

Joseph wrote: »
    I don't know if WP is a suitable CMS to use, have a look at Joomla or if you are more advanced - Drupal

Hello,
    My developer said we would do something just simple and not spend thousands as he hats seen people spending 3-4 thousand and not working out on classified websites once it starts making money then he can code it all to advanced website,
    Thanks for feedback do

I get what you're saying but Joomla and Drupal don't cost anything and have better infrastructure to deal with the kind of thing you want to do. Did you have a developer code this?

Joseph wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but Joomla and Drupal don't cost anything and have better infrastructure to deal with the kind of thing you want to do. Did you have a developer code this?

I will look into them. I did ya

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Hi Damien,

Fair play for your entrepreneurship! Unfortunately the website layout is rather poor
    have a look at this site, for guidance and see the books referenced. Also see reddit.com/r/graphic_design
    www.visualmess.com/index.html

Also the spelling and punctuation is off
    "Place An Add" should be "Place an Ad"

The search text box only needs to be "Search _______" rather than " looking for something....."

Keep at it!

• Advertisement

Not trying to make a joke - how did you get so many FB likes?

Advertisement