Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok so after you get paid each week how much money do you have left over for yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mon...ey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Well use the same formula to budget then! ;)
    Nah, my budgeting skills are fine too, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kizzabel

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm on disability benefit for CF (188 euro a week), I have about 25 euro left after bills etc and no money to put towards savings. I'm supposed to be better off than people that are working though, aren't I? ;)

Ah ya see though we are some of the few that actually are better off not working at the minute. My husband cannot work due to his back being fooked. Ours is illness benefit which is a temporary payment (since 2005 :rolleyes:) which means I cannot work due to the fact that whatever I would earn would be the exact amount the Dept of Social Welfare would deduct and we are in a rural location so working would leave us worse off as there would be extra petrol costs and the rest.
    We get €372 a week
    Bills, debts, rent and shopping would leave about €80 so no real chance to save there. Kids are bleeding us dry. Considering slave labour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Nah, my budgeting skills are fine too, thanks!

Then what difference does it make if you get paid weekly or monthly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I get paid weekly but have odd hours - one week could be 20, other week could be 45.

I take €60 out every week for my horse, plus other extras for her, so I have whatever is left out of the pay check

(for example if I earned 300 euro this week - 60 would go to the horse, so 240 to work with, but if she needed her feet done which is every 8 weeks I have 215 to work with)

Changes from pay check to pay check!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

€100-120 give or take after bills, rent and fuel. I don't drink much so usually spend it on a night out in a restaurant and clothes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I have more money than sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'm probably somewhere in the minus money catalogue :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

None of your business OP/Phil Hogan

• Advertisement

cournioni wrote: »
    €100-120 give or take after bills, rent and fuel. I don't drink much so usually spend it on a night out in a restaurant and clothes etc.

Ah c'mon, Paulie, thought you'd have more disposable income than that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I get paid monthly but on average I'd say I save about €1000 a month so that's roughly €250 a week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Nothing like another one of these threads to make me feel impoverished and underpaid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Current situation leaves me about 600euro a week left over after rent bills food drink cigaretes petrol random stuff.. While supporting my gf who's in uni. Will work like this till January and then take it easy.

Edit: But I could get fired at any time.. Cut throat place to work.

600 a week you must be trolling :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I get paid weekly but have odd hours - one week could be 20, other week could be 45.

I take €60 out every week for my horse, plus other extras for her, so I have whatever is left out of the pay check

(for example if I earned 300 euro this week - 60 would go to the horse, so 240 to work with, but if she needed her feet done which is every 8 weeks I have 215 to work with)

Changes from pay check to pay check!

You work, but your only bill involves taking care of a horse?

I need new parents. :(
    kingtut wrote: »
    I get paid monthly but on average I'd say I save about €1000 a month so that's roughly €250 a week :(
    :( indeed ... how awful that must be for you!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Depends on how poker goes, but I could be in the pub 7 nights a week if I wanted to.
    That said I put away nothing.

I'm cutting down on the gargle though and starting saving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sea Filly wrote: »
    cournioni wrote: »

Ah c'mon, Paulie, thought you'd have more disposable income than that! :pac:
    The resession has hit the wise guys too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

On a very good month when there's no public holidays (which I don't get paid for) and no class cancellations, I'd have about 150 a week to play with, but that very rarely happens. More like 50 Euro, I suppose which isn't too bad. I didn't include clothes in essentials.

But I just moved into a new place with the OH and will be paying 125 Euro less in rent and going halves on bills, so I might finally be able to put a few sheckles away. Hurrah!

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    On a very good month when there's no public holidays (which I don't get paid for) and no class cancellations, I'd have about 150 a week to play with, but that very rarely happens.

That's shit then that ye don't get paid for public holidays because isn't there about 20 of those a year in Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

That's shit then that ye don't get paid for public holidays because isn't there about 20 of those a year in Spain?

I get paid by the hour. I only get paid for the hours I work and yep, Spain has more public holidays than most European countries. 24 I think. Oh, and no work during August and December as well. But at least there's sun! And it's a cheaper here, so I manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

For those that get paid monthly and can't figure it out, divide by 4 to get a rough figure. It's quite easy really.

I have about €150 after rent, bills, old college loan etc... That's before smoking (Which is just such a drain, hence the reason I'm always trying to give up) food and any social life I might have. Every month when I get paid I go shopping and buy one item of clothing, normally in a sale, just so I can at least look good. A pair of Cons, a nice tee etc. Nothing more than €50 normally.

Honestly, money is the biggest cause of stress in my life. And it's going to cost me a fortune before it gets better. I want to start a part time masters next year which should hopefully get me better wages. But it's going to cost me about €15k and I have no idea where I'll get it from.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    For those that get paid monthly and can't figure it out, divide by 4 to get a rough figure. It's quite easy really.

(monthly salary x 12) / 52 is better (and almost as easy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Then what difference does it make if you get paid weekly or monthly?
    It doesn’t, in financial terms. But payday itself is one of those little things you can look forward to. Like the morning’s first cup of tea. Or the clock hitting 17.30. One of life’s simple pleasures, if you will, and having to wait a month between each one can seem long (even if a longer wait = moar monies when it does arrive!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

after bills, morgage, savings id have about 65- but thats as long as i dont have to shell out for repairs for something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

:( indeed ... how awful that must be for you!

Oh if only you knew :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Napoleon 101

Every time there is a budget i know i will have less.
    They suck me dry these budgets when will they just stop and leave our wages alone.
    Stealth taxes,water charges,house tax etc they just seem to be sitting there trying to make up ways to f us all

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WHATS THE STORY

god thats a good one wouldn't be much thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

About $800 :D I'm very very lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

After rent, food, bills and transport, I have about €80-100 leftover each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

About a tenner. I'm on the dole and paying a motgage.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I save ~500 p.w from my net salary. Also save ~200 p.w from deposit interest/investment income. I don't earn big money but am very frugal and have mostly cheap hobbies.

Have had some good fortune over the years but also good judgement eg not giving my money to publicans and tobacco companies.

In the last 10 years I have spent feck all on alcohol and nothing on fags. Someone who drinks and smokes could easily have spent 50,000 in that time. That 50,000 that I have that they don't have produces a small but useful income for me.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I save ~500 p.w from my net salary. Also save ~200 p.w from deposit interest/investment income. I don't earn big money but am very frugal and have mostly cheap hobbies.

If you save 500 per week, you're not doing too badly. ;) You save more per week than I earn gross per week.
    Have had some good fortune over the years but also good judgement eg not giving my money to publicans and tobacco companies.

In the last 10 years I have spent feck all on alcohol and nothing on fags. Someone who drinks and smokes could easily have spent 50,000 in that time. That 50,000 that I have that they don't have produces a small but useful income for me.

Agreed. I don't drink often, because I actually can't afford too (and don't really want to either), and am appalled at what I spend when I do drink.

Don't know how people can bear to hand over a tenner for a box of cigarettes. What a drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I get paid monthly.
    I usually put around 300 - 400 away in the savings account and use the rest for mortgage, bills and groceries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I save ~500 p.w from my net salary. Also save ~200 p.w from deposit interest/investment income.

200pw savings income means 10,000 per year. At 3% net that means about 300,000 in savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I don't get a salary but as I am a student, I support myself on my savings.

I take 600 out of these savings per month.
    I share with someone else so it's as follows per month.

Rent: 325
    Travel:100
    Internet:30
    Food: 80
    Esb: 20

which leaves 125 a month over to cover college costs like printing, books, clothes etc.

Luckily enough, the only vice I have is heading to the cinema, or getting a coffee once in a while. I don't drink or smoke, and most of my time is taken up by three different internships which hopefully will accelerate me into something paid after this year! I've imposed the limit on how much I withdraw on my savings, which has helped and will leave me with a decent chunk of money when I finally get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This summer has been torture money-wise. I can't get a job for love nor money and my grant for college won't kick in until october sometime at the earliest. This leaves me with €0 to spend each week. I'm not even eligable for the dole! Even when I get the grant none of the income will be disposable and I can't foresee myself getting a job during college unless I'm very lucky. I may wave goodbye to any kind of a social life for the next 4 years and possibly more! Great state of affairs all together! :L

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

depends on how good the racing is
    today +300 for this week
    tomorrow -200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

€188
    - 15 for phone bill
    - 10 for Internet
    -20 shopping

So just over 140
    Not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

None, because I've only ever been paid once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jc1200

nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭StudentDad

So im talking about after all the bills etc are paid how much do you have left to spend on yourself or for your own leisure :)

well for me it would be 100-150 MAX(if working)
    30(if Not)

(Just a bit of fun)

Money left over? What a radical idea :D The money lands in my a/c every week and leaves just as quickly.

We are living a 'death by a thousand cuts.' It may only be 30 cents here and 20 cents there but it bloody well adds up. I priced kerosene for my home heating today - 92.5 cents a litre - just might be 'extra jumpers and hot water bottles this winter.'

SD

StudentDad wrote: »
    - just might be 'extra jumpers and hot water bottles this winter.'

SD

Jumpers, and blankets and hottie botties are great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm on the other side of the fence, so every friday, I get to pay a lot of peoples wages. This stings. So, every friday, I'm c.a 11k worse off. Not a big "friday" fan tbh.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Pottler wrote: »
    I'm on the other side of the fence, so every friday, I get to pay a lot of peoples wages. This stings. So, every friday, I'm c.a 11k worse off. Not a big "friday" fan tbh.:)

Gis a job will ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Gis a job will ya?

Got in there before me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've started leaving myself €180 per week to live on, everything else goes on mortgage, bills and a bit to savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

$2100 a month after rent, bills & saving contributions.

still piss loads up a wall though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Wonder what TD,S have left over? prob all of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

patwicklow wrote: »
    Wonder what TD,S have left over? prob all of it!!

All of their wages goes on mortgage, esb, oil, petrol and general family expense. The brown envelope money goes on coke and hookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

€20-€30 if I'm lucky, usually less than that. We're exceptionally broke at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

You save 500 per week and you dont earn big money:rolleyes:

Explain please?

Even to get 500 net every week you need to be making 625 - 650 gross, that's close to average industrial wage.

How are you making 200 a week from an investment of 50k?

20% interest investment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement