Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok so after you get paid each week how much money do you have left over for yourself?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

exactly €188

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

RoverZT wrote: »
    You save 500 per week and you dont earn big money:rolleyes:

Explain please?

Even to get 500 net every week you need to be making 625 - 650 gross, that's close to average industrial wage.

How are you making 200 a week from an investment of 50k?

20% interest investment?
    I have more than 50k. 50k is what I estimate I've saved in ten years just by not drinking and smoking.

Re: big money, I would consider 100k p.a. gross as big money and I'm on nowhere near that. There are plenty of people out there who would not get out of bed for the money I make.

Yes I am on more than the average industrial wage but wouldn't use that as a reference point particularly as my job is neither average nor industrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

€188
    - 15 for phone bill
    - 10 for Internet
    -20 shopping

So just over 140
    Not bad
    How do you have bills but no rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I have more than 50k. 50k is what I estimate I've saved in ten years just by not drinking and smoking.

Re: big money, I would consider 100k p.a. gross as big money and I'm on nowhere near that. There are plenty of people out there who would not get out of bed for the money I make.

Yes I am on more than the average industrial wage but wouldn't use that as a reference point particularly as my job is neither average nor industrial.

You're still on good money. Perspective, people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Senna wrote: »
    I've started leaving myself €180 per week to live on, everything else goes on mortgage, bills and a bit to savings.

Yup, I've started allocating myself e150 a week out of my monthly salary. Takes a bit of getting used to but after a while, the manner in which other people spend money shocks you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah here you're all loaded! €150 a week to spend on whatever you want is brilliant :confused: I think anything over €100 is great. What are you people spending this on that it seems like a small amount? Does it include groceries or something?

Yup, I've started allocating myself e150 a week out of my monthly salary. Takes a bit of getting used to but after a while, the manner in which other people spend money shocks you.

I know! I'm VERY happy to have 200 euro to play around with every week. I get paid less than 20k a year. What on earth do people spend their money on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

phasers wrote: »
    How do you have bills but no rent?

Because I'm currently residing at a parents house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Because I'm currently residing at a parents house

What do you spend the 140 on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SingAHappySong

After paying out bank bonuses and rent for those that don't believe they should pay it themselves .. Government officials personal expenses .. the interest on loans I never took out ,,,,, I have nothing left to offer this economy on any level.
    face it .. we're nothing more than worms fertilizing a compost heap for the fat cats to scrap off the top and Fu(K 1t on there roses.... :-(

There'll be no singing today .........

• Advertisement

LordSmeg wrote: »
    What do you spend the 140 on ?

Clothes, gadgets, etc etc. problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

phasers wrote: »
    Ah here you're all loaded! €150 a week to spend on whatever you want is brilliant :confused: I think anything over €100 is great. What are you people spending this on that it seems like a small amount? Does it include groceries or something?

I know: I'm *very* lucky. But it isn't quite 'whatever I want'. My grocery shop comes out of that, also my lunch, my transport costs, gifts, going out. The bills (ESB, mobile, phone, cable) come out of my account via direct debit so at least they don't have to be factored in. Also, I don't have children (not by choice - but that's an issue for *another* day) so I can keep a tighter rein on expenses, ie, fewer trips to the doctor. I honestly don't know how people with young families keep body and soul together in this climate.

Clothes, gadgets, etc etc. problem?

Just wondering is all, I'm on the dole and living at home too but I pay rent, my own bills, contribute to communal bills (electricity, bins, oil etc etc). Buy my own food and generally act like an adult human being.

Your handed 188 quid a week for doing absolutely nothing the least you could do is act like an adult and use it to support yourself instead of squandering it because mammy and daddy still wipe your arse for ya.

Just wondering is all, I'm on the dole and living at home too but I pay rent, my own bills, contribute to communal bills (electricity, bins, oil etc etc). Buy my own food and generally act like an adult human being.

Your handed 188 quid a week for doing absolutely nothing the least you could do is act like an adult and use it to support yourself instead of squandering it because mammy and daddy still wipe your arse for ya.

Yeah, I was on the dole until early this year, but a fair old chunk of it went on food, bills etc. even though I was living at home.

Are you for real, I clearly state I pay my bills, I clearly do support myself, get off that high horse and concentrate on your own life, typical shïtty Irish attitude, get over yourself

Are you for real, I clearly state I pay my bills, I clearly do support myself, get off that high horse and concentrate on your own life, typical shïtty Irish attitude, get over yourself

Phone, internet and 20 quid a week for food is you supporting yourself ? Good luck in the real world kid because your going to fcukin need it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Interesting reading. So people *do* have plenty left at the end of the week to pay the Household Charge. :pac:

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yeah, I was on the dole until early this year, but a fair old chunk of it went on food, bills etc. even though I was living at home.

Some people still think they have a free pass at the parents house. They either have no clue what it actually costs to support a person or they are so selfish and ignorant that they dont care others are paying it for them. Just sit back and leech of the parents and squander the dole on shíte.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

About 250-300 a week, sometimes more.

• Advertisement

Phone, internet and 20 quid a week for food is you supporting yourself ? Good luck in the real world kid because your going to fcukin need it lol.

I'm 29 went through a blip I n a relationship and am temporarily staying at my mothers house, I left home when I was 16 and worked everyday up until lastl year, seriously get your facts right before you make retarded comments.
    You're posts reeks of jealousy more than anything

Some people still think they have a free pass at the parents house. They either have no clue what it actually costs to support a person or they are so selfish and ignorant that they dont care others are paying it for them. Just sit back and leech of the parents and squander the dole on shíte.

Read my other comments before assuming anything you troll

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

About 250-270 per week. The joys of not smoking or drinking I guess :)

I'm 29 went through a blip I n a relationship and am temporarily staying at my mothers house, I left home when I was 16 and worked everyday up until lastl year, seriously get your facts right before you make retarded comments.

Thats even more shocking considering you think internet, phone and 20 quid for food is a person supporting themselves. I am 29 too and worked since I was 15, left home at 17 and recently moved back. Still dont see why Mammy should support me while I squander the dole.

And read your other comments where ? You havent posted anything else in this thread. I'm not going trawling the site to read everything you have ever posted to get a background on ya ffs.

Thats even more shocking considering you think internet, phone and 20 quid for food is a person supporting themselves. I am 29 too and worked since I was 15, left home at 17 and recently moved back. Still dont see why Mammy should support me while I squander the dole.

And read your other comments where ? You havent posted anything else in this thread. I'm not going trawling the site to read everything you have ever posted to get a background on ya ffs.

What I'm saying is don't judge someone before ou know the facts, fair play to my mother for allowing me the opportunity to save in order to make a better life for myself, pity yours couldn't do the same, then maybe you wouldn't be on here judging others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Lately i still have a majority of what i earn at the end of the month. I have to average a 50 hour work week over the course of the year so i don't get much time to spend the money i earn. No mortgage, not in the house much to waste electricity, DOJ cover my transport, healthcare and dental is covered, great gym set up at work and plus i get discounts to nearly every event and attraction country wide. Reckon on a weekly basis i retain about 80% of what i would earn after any bills or eating is taken into account.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with living at home if needs be, I found myself in that situation too due to illness and unemployment, but like you said, you're 29, don't you think you should be paying some keep to the household, paying for your own food etc.?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    About 250-270 per week. The joys of not smoking or drinking I guess :)

YUSS!!!!!

Don't know how people aren't completely sickened having to waste money on fags every day. Cigarettes too. :pac:

What I'm saying is don't judge someone before ou know the facts, fair play to my mother for allowing me the opportunity to save in order to make a better life for myself, pity yours couldn't do the same, then maybe you wouldn't be on here judging others.

So when called out for spending your dole on clothes and gadgets while your mother supported you you claim you clearly support yourself because you pay your own phone and internet bills and buy 20 quid of food a week. Thus justifying you squandering the rest on clothes and gadgets.

When that doesnt work you change your story to your mother supporting you while you save to create a better life for you. And I should have trawled your posting history to figure out that contrasting story before commenting on what you yourself said were the facts of the situation ?

My mother does allow me the opportunity to live cheaply so I can save some money to better my life. But I dont allow her to do so ignorant of the fact she does so at her own cost. I dont allow her to pay my way while I squander my state paid pocket money.

Nothing wrong with living at home if needs be, I found myself in that situation too due to illness and unemployment, but like you said, you're 29, don't you think you should be paying some keep to the household, paying for your own food etc.?

Like I said I'm allowed to save in order for deposits and rents
    Of course anyone would prefer to be living in their own place but if it was a more permanent arrangement living at home I would pay a weekly rent

So when called out for spending your dole on clothes and gadgets while your mother supported you you claim you clearly support yourself because you pay your own phone and internet bills and buy 20 quid of food a week. Thus justifying you squandering the rest on clothes and gadgets.

When that doesnt work you change your story to your mother supporting you while you save to create a better life for you. And I should have trawled your posting history to figure out that contrasting story before commenting on what you yourself said were the facts of the situation ?

My mother does allow me the opportunity to live cheaply so I can save some money to better my life. But I dont allow her to do so ignorant of the fact she does so at her own cost. I dont allow her to pay my way while I squander my state paid pocket money.

So now you're staying your mother does allow to to live cheaper at her own expense, just makes you a hypocrite going on your responses to me,
    Seriously I'm done with you, go out and look for a job or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 SingAHappySong

Oi !! Thats not the States Money !! it's Mine .. If you're not going to spend it wisely , GIVE IT BACK !!!!!!!

So now you're staying your mother does allow to to live cheaper at her own expense, just makes you a hypocrite going on your responses to me,
    Seriously I'm done with you, go out and look for a job or something.

I pay rent, I pay towards her bills as well as my own. She allows me to live here at half of what it would cost for me to live on my own. But I dont add to her costs because I pay my own way while here.

Unlike you I dont leech off my mother so I can squander the dole on clothes and gadgets.

I pay rent, I pay towards her bills as well as my own. She allows me to live here at half of what it would cost for me to live on my own. But I dont add to her costs because I pay my own way while here.

Unlike you I dont leech off my mother so I can squander the dole on clothes and gadgets.

And you've read my replies you wouldn't have been stupid enough to post that response, you're just trolling now

And you've read my replies you wouldn't have been stupid enough to post that response, you're just trolling now

I have read your replies and all you've done is state one thing then contradict it while trying to weasel out of it. All the while throwing out insults and jibberish.

I have read your replies and all you've done is state one thing then contradict it while trying to weasel out of it. All the while throwing out insults and jibberish.

:rolleyes:Back in your box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jesus Shaves agus LordSmeg threadbanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Some people have gone out and made better lives for themselves precisely because their parents didn't make it easy for them. Throwing money at your children and making things cushy for them doesnt teach them values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Likewise. I moved home at 26 after living with the ex for nearly 5 years. Now I pay 130 pw rent and half the mortgage with my brother (parents can't pay as they are elderly and on disability etc) It may seem like a lot but I never have to cook, my Dad makes my lunch for work, and never minds giving me lifts to/from bus for work/going out, as well as a 24 hour pet sitting service for the menagerie of stray animals that I brought home lol, he also does all the washing and ironing :eek: show me a landlord who would do all that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

biko wrote: »
    Jesus Shaves threadbanned

oh thank goodness... that fella loves shooting his mouth off all over the place. about time he was taken down a peg or two. maybe this is the only place he can mouth off without getting the 40 shades knocked out of him

Mod note: user banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

18 € a week.3 of that spent in the bookies doing the lotto(300/1 odds on getting 3 numbers,35/1 on getting 2.I do 2 of each..they occassionaly come in and spend that on cans and 20 smokes).the other 15 is spent doin something with my son at the weekends.over a 3rd of my 188€ is given in child maintance.

how anyone can make dole a career choice is beyond me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

With our combined wages, after all bills are paid/savings etc we are generally left with about 600-700 a week to spend as we want.

Advertisement