Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

famous things that everyone knows but you never heard of!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only found out a few months back that you don't have to type www for websites

Showing my age but when I first used the internet on Indigo's finest 56K service you always had to type www

And so why would I ever change?

Told a work colleague, he thought I was the biggest fool in Ireland for not knowing this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Only found out a few months back that you don't have to type www for websites

Showing my age but when I first used the internet on Indigo's finest 56K service you always had to type www

And so why would I ever change?

Told a work colleague, he thought I was the biggest fool in Ireland for not knowing this :(

It depends how the site's configured - until pretty recently (i.e. a couple of months ago) either dublinbus.ie or buseireann.ie (can't remember which) wasn't working unless you put in the www.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I recently discovered that the people here on AH don't actually read the entire thread before replying. Hence the multiple replies to the OP to correct them about the naming of the hotel chain.

Shocking stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was established before the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

Says a lot.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

The famed Olympic 'five rings' symbol is actually 6 rings, but one is always the same colour as the background.
    This represents the 'invisible' challenge of unforeseeable elements that can arise in any sporting competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Nux wrote: »
    The famed Olympic 'five rings' symbol is actually 6 rings, but one is always the same colour as the background.
    This represents the 'invisible' challenge of unforeseeable elements that can arise in any sporting competition.
    Not sure if serious. . . . .

But you are actually half right, the white background is as much a part of the Olympic symbol as the five rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Senna wrote: »
    You think a chain of Hotels nearly a 100 years old are called after a 25 year old slapper??

she is actually in her 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upforthescoilt

I thought Gadaffi was a country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Senna wrote: »
    You think a chain of Hotels nearly a 100 years old are called after a 25 year old slapper??

I'm confused...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You thought that colonel Gaddafi was a country?? Like lieutenant Ireland. Sergeant Afghanistan. Captain America..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Gaddafi's regime, Gaddafi's regime, Gaddafi's regime.......
    I can see where the misunderstanding comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 upforthescoilt

Swear to god, it was like that episode in friends when the bloke thought gunpoint was an actual place... I was thinkin to myself "why are people staying in this Gadaffi place" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I learned recently that scorpions are not spiders. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Sea Filly wrote: »
    That Bill O'Herlihy is 73! :eek:

That Samuel L Jackson is 63! :eek:

A few other things that I only found out recently:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

• That BBC's Live and Kicking presenter Andi Peters is gay. I guess I never picked up on his campness when I was a kid.

Really? He has never come out officially AFAIK. I just always thought he had a geeky vibe to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That Samuel L Jackson is 63! :eek:

I can't believe Samuel L Jackson is that age even after googling it. The same age as my dad!

And that tin foil thing, genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I thought Assad was like Mossad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I only realised a few years ago that t-shirts are so called because they're shaped like the letter "t."
    token101 wrote: »
    That Ken Barlow is 80 :eek:

It's not exactly common knowledge, but I should also point out that he's Batman's grandfather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I only realised a few years ago that t-shirts are so called because they're shaped like the letter "t."

It's not exactly common knowledge, but I should also point out that he's Batman's grandfather.

Father?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Father?

Nope, grandfather. Ken Barlow's son is Batman's father (well, the actor Bill Roche's son Linus plays Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins, but let's not split hairs, or, indeed, heirs), so therefore, Ken is Batman's grandfather :).

It'd be better known if Batman had been in Coronation Street for a while, culminating in a tearful scene as he left Weatherfield for Gotham in the back of a taxi, crying and waving out the back window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Nope, grandfather. Ken Barlow's son is Batman's father (well, the actor Bill Roche's son Linus plays Thomas Wayne in Batman Begins, but let's not split hairs, or, indeed, heirs), so therefore, Ken is Batman's grandfather :).

Because he's the grandfather Coronation Street deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

[*]I never heard of Swedish House Mafia until their recent concert.

Ditto.

For years I didn't realise the Gazza and Paul Gascoigne were the same person. I thought for was a foreign footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And years after doing French in school I realised that the french for help me was M'Aide. Which then made the phrase Mayday as a distress call make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That James Lipton is in fact 85 and not in his 60s. Shocked me big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Apparently James Lipton is 85, and not in his 60s. I found that shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I had no idea who James Lipton was until now, but I'm shocked to learn that he is 85 and not his early 60s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what age James Lipton is.
    Grayson wrote: »
    And years after doing French in school I realised that the french for help me was M'Aide. Which then made the phrase Mayday as a distress call make sense.

I didn't know that. kind of ruins all those jokes in movies about why not use some other holiday.
    Of course those jokes were ruined the moment they say them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Sea Filly wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    Really? He has never come out officially AFAIK. I just always thought he had a geeky vibe to him.

You're right, I don't think he's ever commented on it publicly, it's just something that's widely "known". Johnathan Ross was accused of outing him a few years ago.
    Ditto.

For years I didn't realise the Gazza and Paul Gascoigne were the same person. I thought for was a foreign footballer.

When I was a kid I used to confuse Gazza with Gaza. I found news reports about "The Gaza Strip" utterly baffling.

I only learnt this after watching an episode of Red Dwarf.
    Knex. wrote: »

Did anyone else google James Lipton in the expectation that he might be the founder of Lipton Ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I have no idea who or what any of ye are on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I woke up yesterday

I was awesome all day

Then i went to bed

True Story:)

Advertisement