Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not receiving texts from many US numbers

• 01-08-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Would love any help in relation to this, as my provider emobile are totally clueless as to what the problem is.

Having spent the last 5 weeks in the states, I discovered that most people who tried texting me, I did not receive their texts. I gave them my number with international code, and even texted some of them first so they could just hit reply, but to no avail. I used the At &T network while there, but switching off my phone, changing networks, and even calling emobile to cancel any diverts did not solve the trick. The people who could not text me could also not ring me.

The strange thing is one or two American mobile numbers were able to contact me, but the majority were not. It resulted in me missing out on important work communication and is a bit frustrating as I will be returning to the states soon, but no resolution is in sight.

If anyone has experienced this, or has a solution, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Cian

*iphone 4g

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

This was back in the days I was in the mobile phone network game,

Its more than likely e-mobile dont have a roaming agreement with those networks that tried to text you, and as a result can guarantee any service between those carriers.

for instance the person who was able to text you was probably on AT&T, the person who was on Cingular who emobile dont have a roaming agreement with was not.

This has happened to me before and I've seen it happen to other customers!

If no texts were coming through to you I would suggest it was something else and if everyone could intermittently text you it would be something else again, but from what you describe that's what it sounds like to me.

ways to verify this, ask what network the people who can and cant text you and check against e-mobiles website (roaming section) to see if they have/have not an agreement with that network.

Connect via wifi turn on imessage and get someone who cant text you (who has an iphone) to text you, will it come through? (if it does then its def the network as imessage goes through the internet and apples servers rather than the network)

anyway hope this helps, best of luck with it hope you get it sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The USA is a bit different for mobile service to here in that you pay to both send and receive calls and texts.

For you to text a US number from an Irish number, they'd need an international package of some sort to receive the text.

For them to text you or call you they would also require an international add-on of some sort. Us Irish generally take international calling/texting as a given but the US is not so much so, international calling/texting ability tends to be an add-on service that you must specifically request.

I've also seen some oddities if texting a USA network based primarily on CDMA technology, or if they're trying to text me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciangeer

Interesting responses. Didn't think about the possibility of their contracts not extending to roaming.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement