Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Crazy new Italian law.

• 01-08-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

Wow it seems Italian men are very sensitive about some one saying they lack cojones or have an empty sack or they sing castrato. So much so it's been made a crime to do so.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/italy-rules-no-balls-insult-for-men-is-a-crime-540719-Jul2012/
    ITALY’S HIGHEST COURT on Tuesday ruled that telling a man he has “no balls” as an insult is a crime punishable with a fine because it hurts male pride in a ruling on a curious row between two cousins.

The case was brought to the supreme court by a lawyer named only as Vittorio against his cousin Alberto, a justice of the peace, for the phrase uttered during a heated courtroom exchange in the southern Italian city of Potenza.

“Apart from the vulgarity of the term used, the expression definitely also has an injurious quality,” the male judge, Maurizio Fumo, said in his ruling as quoted by Italian news agency ANSA.

“It refers not only to the target’s lack of virility but also to his weakness of character, lack of determination, competence and coherence — virtues that, rightly or wrongly, are still identified as pertaining to the male gender.”

The court also found that because the insult was uttered at the workplace with third parties present it could be seen as damaging Vittorio’s reputation.

Vittorio’s lawyer had argued that the expression implied that his client was “worth less than other men because he did not have the attributes.”

A judge will now rule on the fine that Alberto should pay to Vittorio.

The ruling, which comes after years of legal dispute, did not specify whether any insults against women should now also be considered crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

That comment was clearly below the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

what a load of boll*x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

The Italians should stick to making cars and pizza, and poorly designed towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Taking someone to court who says 'you've no balls' kinda proves the original allegation about the plaintiff.

Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

a silly load of bollix really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

This is what I love about Italy. Crazy mad beautiful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

That judge should be given the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Now this is beyond stupid...and I think this is not Italy's first crazy/stupid law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

They made a right balls of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You'd want to be one sensitive, delicate male to be offended by that.

They need to harden the fùck up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If we start having court cases over family members insulting each other over here we are going to need a lot more judges.

I could understand something being done internally within the company at the very most but come on do they have nothing better to do than take crap like this to court.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Balls. Going over there next week. Was gonna tell everyone to grow a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If that is the law, then the law is an ass. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've stumbled into the bad pun part of Boards...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Man that's daft :D. I'd be also tempted to quote as Duggy747 did that Chopper video. This from the folks who brought you Rome. :eek: Then again past brilliance isn't much of an indicator, look at Greece.

That said I have found that *generalisation alert* Latin men for all the macho posturing that's more evident than in Ireland say can be a tad more sensitive on this kinda thing. Irish men tend to be much better at laughing at themselves and each other(ditto for the Brits). We make a bloody sport of it. So long as it doesn't descend to bullying shíte that's a very healthy thing IMHO.

Then again - and any law bods can help me out here - could that ruling happen here in the sense that any insult is technically assault or somesuch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

trying to fine themselves outta debt?

those ballless b*stards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hey, there's no such thing as absolute free speech. I think this ruling is neccesary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

"you hurt my feelings and now I'm going to report you."

GROW A PAIR YA PONCE!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

the southern Italian city of Potenza

Obviously everyone there has a rod of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Keno 92 wrote: »

All puns are bad, what's the deferens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The first lad to report that his feelings were hurt should get such a paddlin' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grenache wrote: »
    This is what I love about Italy. Crazy mad beautiful people.

Would you love this if it happened in Ireland? Somehow I think not. Also, your comment is weirdly patronising towards Italians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Italy, The nation of angry blue veined diamond cutting boners.

They should take out those concrete bursting hard ons and do some real work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Hmmm, this will put a few surgeons in a legal conundrum..

"Well we operated and you now have.... Em.... Ah nothin, you'll see.. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

That judge would want to grow some balls...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

snickers advert to be banned?

poor BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What the f*ck is happening to Freedom of Speech?
    Between this and people getting arrested in Britain for offensive Tweets, I'm genuinely becoming concerned that I'm going to live the rest of my life in a world in which any comments any person makes must be vetted in advance by some sort of Ministry for Public Decency.

Seriously, I find it hard to even find this article funny. It's absolutely terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What the f*ck is happening to Freedom of Speech?
    Between this and people getting arrested in Britain for offensive Tweets, I'm genuinely becoming concerned that I'm going to live the rest of my life in a world in which any comments any person makes must be vetted in advance by some sort of Ministry for Public Decency.

Seriously, I find it hard to even find this article funny. It's absolutely terrifying.

Didn't he threaten to kill him? Bit of a difference no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

But seriously, all puns aside, this is nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Keno 92 wrote: »

Welcome to After Hours! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Chagan wrote: »
    But seriously, all puns aside, this is nuts.

Aslong as it isn't no nuts, we're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Aren't these insecure men supposed to be Italian Stallions?

anyway reputation ruined, more like pussies:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Balls. Going over there next week. Was gonna tell everyone to grow a pair.
    I think you could argue that your not inferring they have no balls but rather that the balls they have are insufficient and they could do with growing additional genitalia to make up for the obvious lack of male characteristics like being able to take an insult without crying like little children that were refused ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There once was a girl from Madrid,
    who swore she would never be rid'.
    Then up came an Italian
    with the balls of a stallion.
    And now she's rearing a kid.;)

The law is not actually so very different from similar defamation of character legislation in other jurisdictions. :)

Italian males seem to attach great importance to the contents of their trousers, and calling a fellow a cornuto (cuckold) is bound to get his rag out.:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuck it I can't think of anythin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

"Free speech" is a load of me howle, but so is this.