Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Start of the Season Star Men

• 01-08-2012 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Who do you think will be the players that will be quick out of the blocks this year that other players may have overlooked? Last year, I picked Silva and Osman. Osman may not have been the inspired choice I had hoped he would be but Silva bossed the EPL until after xmas.

This year, my picks are:

Siggy
    Siggy's been in great form for Spurs in preseason on the back of an unbeliebale first 6 months in the Premier League. This year he's playing with better players around him and he should flourish under AVB. If he can nail down a starting spot, I think he'll score heavily given Tottenham's opening fixture list.

Bent
    Again, this one is based a lot on his opening fixtures. It remains to be seen how Villa will play under Lambert although it should be noted that Norwich were the top scoring team outside the top 6 EPL teams. Darren Bent knows where the back of the net is and, because of his lengthy lay off last year, may have slipped under a lot of people's radars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bent would be one of mine too. Others with decent fixtures to start that could/should score well are Maiga at West Ham and Graham at Swansea (he seems to be getting completely overlooked despite their excellent fixtures).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcunning

Great choices massdebater and Paully D. Swansea, West Ham, Aston Villa and Tottenham have the fixtures at the start of the season and they are excellent selections as the most likely top performers from each team.

I didn't want to write 'my tip is Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero' and as you wanted players that others may have overlooked, I've gone further afield and looked for some unpopular choices.

My picks are Marouane Fellaini and Gervinho.
    With Tim Cahill's defection to the MLS, Fellaini will need to offer an attacking threat. I've always rated his heading and the way he uses his physicality to great effect. He has filled in up front whenever asked at Everton and I think he makes a great foil for poacher supreme Nikica Jelavic.
    Gervinho has been reclassified as a midfielder this time round. He's got a great shot and really should have put away a few more last season. Getting outscored by Walcott? Shameful and that can't happen again. At least he can't have as bad a start to the season as last time. Or can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Kevin Nolan. Nice fixtures, and knows where the goal is. Not a bad price at £6m either.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

If Modric goes, i think Huddlestone has a chance of making an impact, particularly in the assists column. He won't outscore Sigurdsson or Nolan but at 5.0 he could quickly become the best value player in that category i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

If Modric goes, i think Huddlestone has a chance of making an impact, particularly in the assists column. He won't outscore Sigurdsson or Nolan but at 5.0 he could quickly become the best value player in that category i think.

I think the thing is.... Sigurdsson won't start with VDV and Modric available. With Modric gone Sigurdsson will surely take over. So Huddlestone won't get any gametime imo. But not only that, Sigurdsson will be heavily rotated. I mean... who will move out for Siggy? Unless He replaces Lennon on the wing, but he'll never play on the wing.

What I'm thinking is VDV and Modric are too good to replace, therefore there is no room on the team for Sigurdsson. And definitely no room for Huddlestone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

FatRat wrote: »
    I think the thing is.... Sigurdsson won't start with VDV and Modric available. With Modric gone Sigurdsson will surely take over. So Huddlestone won't get any gametime imo. But not only that, Sigurdsson will be heavily rotated. I mean... who will move out for Siggy? Unless He replaces Lennon on the wing, but he'll never play on the wing.

What I'm thinking is VDV and Modric are too good to replace, therefore there is no room on the team for Sigurdsson. And definitely no room for Huddlestone

I'm seeing a different team layout at Spurs to yourself FatRat I think. I completely agree that Modric can't be replaced, but given VDV's injury record and likelihood of being subbed, Villa Boas may put Sigurdsson in the starting 11 and hold VDV as an impact sub. If Modric goes i don't see both going in the first 11 as they both play best behind a striker and tend to drift forward a lot. In a 4-4-1-1 they can't leave all the midfield work to Parker. With that in mind, i saw Huddlestone as the next inline as a creative force from midfield.

But, I may be completely wrong and he may play Sig alongside Parker and Huddlestone will only be a bit part player. I have him on the watch list though on the off chance my above idea becomes a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jcunning wrote: »
    Great choices massdebater and Paully D. Swansea, West Ham, Aston Villa and Tottenham have the fixtures at the start of the season and they are excellent selections as the most likely top performers from each team.

I didn't want to write 'my tip is Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero' and as you wanted players that others may have overlooked, I've gone further afield and looked for some unpopular choices.

My picks are Marouane Fellaini and Gervinho.
    With Tim Cahill's defection to the MLS, Fellaini will need to offer an attacking threat. I've always rated his heading and the way he uses his physicality to great effect. He has filled in up front whenever asked at Everton and I think he makes a great foil for poacher supreme Nikica Jelavic.
    Gervinho has been reclassified as a midfielder this time round. He's got a great shot and really should have put away a few more last season. Getting outscored by Walcott? Shameful and that can't happen again. At least he can't have as bad a start to the season as last time. Or can he?

He's got a terrible shot and is a terrible finisher. He would get his fair share of points as a midfielder admittedly, simply because he plays so far forward and Arsenal create a lot. He is likely to be a sub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm seeing a different team layout at Spurs to yourself FatRat I think. I completely agree that Modric can't be replaced, but given VDV's injury record and likelihood of being subbed, Villa Boas may put Sigurdsson in the starting 11 and hold VDV as an impact sub. If Modric goes i don't see both going in the first 11 as they both play best behind a striker and tend to drift forward a lot. In a 4-4-1-1 they can't leave all the midfield work to Parker. With that in mind, i saw Huddlestone as the next inline as a creative force from midfield.

But, I may be completely wrong and he may play Sig alongside Parker and Huddlestone will only be a bit part player. I have him on the watch list though on the off chance my above idea becomes a reality.

VdV is never gonna be an impact sub. I agree with the rest though. Siggy will not be seen as an alternative to Modric.

Advertisement