Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Olympic Sports

• 01-08-2012 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Does anybody really give a toss about the diving? Women's volleyball...are you watching for any other reason than a lascivious one? Equestrianism? Not more interesting to watch the grand national? Synchronised swimming...really?

Every four years we are subjected to this trollop...and subsequently told by commentators that we should be in awe of such displays. Yeah, maybe...but ah c'mon now. I even heard a BBC commentator say the other day that he hadn't much of an idea about the sport, but could see that the person who won had worked hard.

Is that enough? I think we have put up with enough of these non sports for too long.

They may well have their merit, but in the greatest athletic games on Earth? I don't think so. Nobody really cares about rhythmic gymnastics, canoeing, trampoline...get rid of them please. Or at least put on a more dynamic competition in soccer, even include rugby...but synchronized swimming?

Actually women's volleyball ain't bad but Olympic TV is tripe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I like the gymnastics, ...mmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Just don't watch it....simples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

In before the lock :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

As someone who watches soccer and rugby I can honestly say that I don't mind spending an afternoon watching niche events once every four years.

Also I think saying that they "worked hard" is a fairly big understatement if they won the gold medal in the fcuking Olympics whatever the event may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Arpa wrote: »
    Synchronised swimming...really?

the ****'s your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Or at least put on a more dynamic competition in soccer
    Jeaus, are we not subjected to enough soccer for the other 47 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I would hazard a guess, that if the OP were to take on any of these "Non Olympic Sports" athletes, that he would come off a very poor second. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

policarp wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess, that if the OP were to take on any of these "Non Olympic Sports" athletes, that he would come off a very poor second. . .

Very true, I would be paltry in comparison I'm sure. I respect the athletes that train extremely hard for a good chunk of their lives but I just think some of the sports are a bit wishy washy.

Ah maybe I'm just one of the people who gets annoyed at the hype about something for which I find mostly boring. Even swimming to me is tedious. The track events are exciting but it's all over too soon.

Maybe if they let them take performance enhancing drugs then it would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I can't wait for the the wheel-barrow race, come on Ireland! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The track and field, the gymnastics and the swimming.

That's the core of the Olympics viewing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Is the Olympics still on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

OP. Now you know how i feel every year with football.. pointless. Atleast you only have to bare it once every 4 years :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just don't watch it then OP. It's only on a handful of channels anyway :L And DON'T say anything about rhythmic gymnastics. It's amazing in all fairness. How they do it I just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The niche events are great. Makes a definite change from the usual sports shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Very true, I would be paltry in comparison I'm sure. I respect the athletes that train extremely hard for a good chunk of their lives but I just think some of the sports are a bit wishy washy.

Ah maybe I'm just one of the people who gets annoyed at the hype about something for which I find mostly boring. Even swimming to me is tedious. The track events are exciting but it's all over too soon.

Maybe if they let them take performance enhancing drugs then it would be interesting.

The relays in the swimming are always exciting. The 4 * 100 freestyle that the french pipped was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I love all the ones you seem to hate, OP. Honestly, I'd be happy if I never saw another football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It's great watching the less seen sports for a change.

I've watched womens weightlifting, beach volleyball, gymnastics and archery.
    I can honestly say I will not watch any of these for the next 4 years.

The swimming has been great too.

The GAA games seem like mickey mouse competitions compared to the great sport we've had this summer with the Euros and Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Then there's the javelin. (Warning: 1 image NSFW ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I prefer to watch proper diving once every 4 years than watch footballers diving, followed by rhythmic gymnastics as they roll around on the ground, every weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

It has been a fantastic few weeks of sport. The Euro's, the Olympics and we still have the championship left.

All this sport is like Kryptonite to all the goatee wearing, game of throne watching dweebs who lurk around here.

I can just imagine them looking at all those fit, socially well adjusted humans and squirming in discomfort.

I prefer to watch proper diving once every 4 years than watch footballers diving, followed by rhythmic gymnastics as they roll around on the ground, every weekend.

Or how about the gang that put fake blood on their face to make them look "dead hard" and maybe slip on an illegal sub in the process ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I was just listening to the wireless and some group want "jump rope" or skipping to us normal folks Olympic sport, he has a point there is a universality to it, everyone everywhere skips at least once in their lives.

There are a lot of "ropey" Olympic sports, synchronised anything, horsey stuff, relays should be renamed Medals for america, sailing only because I haven't a clue what is going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The grave inequality and downright injustice of not having mens synchronized swimming in the Olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Diving is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I only watch the equestrian events and the weightlifting!

Sometimes gymnastics if I happen to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Olympics is great in that it showcases sports that a lot of people don't usually see.
    Not everyone is mad into soccer or rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Rawhead wrote: »
    It has been a fantastic few weeks of sport. The Euro's, the Olympics and we still have the championship left.

All this sport is like Kryptonite to all the goatee wearing, game of throne watching dweebs who lurk around here.

I can just imagine them looking at all those fit, socially well adjusted humans and squirming in discomfort.

Wish I could thank this twice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

7's rugby is being introduced in Rio 2016... And I think every sport in the game merits it's place, it's 2 weeks every 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

In fairness, to not have rugby, squash and golf (I know it's coming in) but to BMX, mountain biking, road racing and indoor racing is mad. They're all bikes FFS!

International-try-to-stab-your-opponent-competition. (Fencing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Diving is class.

The two chinese guys who won the synchronized diving were feckin class.

What's wrong with Game of Thrones?
    International-try-to-stab-your-opponent-competition. (Fencing)

They should make an event that's a cross between archery and fencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Yeah you're right, I have a beard, watch game of thrones, and play with toy soldiers. I'm bound to be so jealous.

But then again my deadlift is just under 280kg, My squat is over 240, and bench around 180.

I'm sure yours is much better though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sport is sport.

Anyne evenly remotely interested in sport can find something worth watching during an olympic games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

mackg wrote: »
    The two chinese guys who won the synchronized diving were feckin class.

What's wrong with Game of Thrones?

They should make an event that's a cross between archery and fencing.

Fencery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Olympics would be great if it was just track and field and swimming and a few other similar events.

Olympic Tennis, Kayaking (!!?), Judo etc is ridiculous imo. The spectacle has become so watered down.

I'm a big footy fan and having that as an event is silly - there are tons of trophies to compete for already for young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Seeing all the other sports you'd never watch is great. Like when are you going to see kayaking, fencing and table tennis. Make's a change from the usual that is shown in tv.

Sport is sport.

Anyne evenly remotely interested in sport can find something worth watching during an olympic games

Yeah once those medals are at stake all sports have their dramas, joys and pains. I am actually watching the women's fencing at the moment and enjoying it.

Wood wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, I have a beard, watch game of thrones, and play with toy soldiers. I'm bound to be so jealous.

But then again my deadlift is just under 280kg, My squat is over 240, and bench around 180.

I'm sure yours is much better though.......

and I'm sure when you sit down to tea with mammy every evening she tells you how proud she is.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

the only problem i have with the Olympics is to many events for one sport or not enough for other sports.

Swimming has to many events, it should be only be the freestyle, the other strokes are the equivalent of the three legged race, egg&spoon and sack race.

So if Phelps misses out on a medal in one race, don't worry he will be back in ten minutes for another race.

While the Irish guy in the kayak race yesterday missed one gate and that's him fu*ked for four years.

Why is the walking only long distance?
    20k and 50k??

I'd like to see a 100m dash! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

OP. Now you know how i feel every year with football.. pointless. Atleast you only have to bare it once every 4 years :mad:

Leap year stripper?

I know most of the athletes are professional, but a certain level of professional should not be in the Olympics like Murray in the tennis, or the USA dream team, footballers, but I have no idea how you would regulate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Hurrin! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I agree with everything else in your post but Olympians are not a good example of well adjusted people. There is nothing well adjusted about the elite athletes and the sacrifices they make. The amount of work it takes borders on obsessional behaviour. That's what it takes to be the best.

Kirby wrote: »
    I agree with everything else in your post but Olympians are not a good example of well adjusted people. There is nothing well adjusted about the elite athletes and the sacrifices they make. The amount of work it takes borders on obsessional behaviour. That's what it takes to be the best.

I was on about the crowd.

Agreed though about the athletes.

fwiw

(Ranking from left to right)

Advertisement