Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Trivia

• 01-08-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Lets see who has grey matter is still functioning! :rolleyes:

Who represented Éire in shooting events at the 1984 games in Los Angles?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Roy Magowan in Trap and Albert Thompson in Skeet.

I was 3 years old at the time, so I hope you can forgive me for resorting to underhanded Googling. :P

To make it interesting for others:

What was Ireland's best ever result in Olympic shooting?

It's easy enough to guess that the USA have won the most Olympic shooting medals ever but which country has the second most Olympic shooting medals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

IRLConor wrote: »
    What was Ireland's best ever result in Olympic shooting?

Does J.K.Millner count?

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Does J.K.Millner count?

It's not who I was thinking of, but yes I think he's probably the most successful Irishman in Olympic shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Sandy
    A blast from the past. :D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Does J.K.Millner count?

He can't - that wasn't Ireland's best ever result, as we didn't have our own team at the time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

IRLConor wrote: »
    Roy Magowan in Trap and Albert Thompson in Skeet.

I was 3 years old at the time, so I hope you can forgive me for resorting to underhanded Googling. :P

Conor
    I was a tad older than 3 in 84. ;) but remember Roy and Albert being very congenial to my father and I.
    Albert, I think, related that he mounted his gun every time he walked past it to develop muscle memory.

Here's one; how many shooters threw away a gold medal with really daft mistakes in the Athens 2004 Men's 50m 3-position event?

Sparks wrote: »
    Here's one; how many shooters threw away a gold medal with really daft mistakes in the Athens 2004 Men's 50m 3-position event?

Too easy. :p

Is it? :D Unless you're a 3x40 shooter, you'd probably get it wrong :D

• Advertisement

Is it? :D Unless you're a 3x40 shooter, you'd probably get it wrong :D

It depends on whether or not you mean the obvious guy, or the obvious guy's team mate. :)

*heh*
    Yeah, but you have to admit, most people don't see past the obvious guy :)

*heh*
    Yeah, but you have to admit, most people don't see past the obvious guy :)

Kinda off-topic, but I wouldn't be so sure Anti would have got a gold. If you erase his mistake and Emmons' mistake then the results would have been:

Shooter|Qualification|Final|Total
    Matt Emmons|1169|98.2|1267.2
    Michael Anti|1167|98.1|1265.1
    Jia Zhanbo|1171|93.5|1264.5

I figure all's fair in hypothetical scenarios. :) Emmons was shooting a 9.8 average up until he cross-fired so I gave him a 9.8 for a 98.2. Even a 7.8 would have been enough, so I figure he would have taken the gold.

I guess the real lesson is that anything can happen. Even top level shooters make howlers of mistakes. Even if you go into a final in last place, it's still all to play for. Winds gust, guns break, shooters choke and any of them can shuffle the order around. You gotta keep shooting as well as you can and never give up until they tell you to stop shooting.

Advertisement