Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing Noise from Air vents

• 01-08-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I have recently moved into an apartment and it's very close to the main road and subsequently there is a lot of road noise in the apartment. I'm pretty sure that the noise is coming from the air vents, the previous occupant had them blocked amd it is much noisier with them unblocked. I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the noise from the vents while still keeping the air flow. I'm not sure if there is going to be a draft issue in winter but if this could be reduced and help my heating bills this would be useful too. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Environmental Science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I know exactly where you are coming from with this one, I lived in an apartment for a while and sometimes the noise coming though the vents made it feel like I was sleeping on the streets! I put a bit of research into this and thought I had found the solution in acoustic vents, however it turns out it is almost impossible to retrofit a vent, specially in an apartment:mad:

So.... More research later and I learn that for recording studios they fit baffles inside the existing vent which more or less creates an acoustic vent! This site http://artsites.ucsc.edu/ems/music/tech_background/te-14/teces_14.html seems to have the best plans on how to do this.

Plans are as follows.....

To soundproof air vents build a baffle as illustrated in figure 4. Start with a rectangle of 3/8 in plywood as large as you can fit into the space. Cut a series of slots for the air to pass through, and cover the back with Fiberglas, leaving the slots clear. Hang this at an angle in front of the duct and fit triangular pieces over the ends. If this isn't enough, you can add a second unit in front of the first.

Fig. 4 vent baffles

215502.jpg

Plans seem easy enough and to try and make it even more sound proof I had planned on replacing the fiberglass with acoustic foam but as I moved out of the apartment soon after, I never actually got around to making one but in your case it may be worth giving it a bash .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

decibel reducing air vents can be supplied and fitted for 105 euro each!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Johny 8 wrote: »
    decibel reducing air vents can be supplied and fitted for 105 euro each!

The vent in my apartment is not so much a vent as a hole in the brick work, with a cover on the outside (which you are not allowed to touch) and a cover on the inside and it is also 3 floors up! I would be really interested to know who would retro fit a decibel reducing vent in it ?

Advertisement