Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember that the way you think it should be is wrong

• 01-08-2012 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'm interested to see if many other people do this.
    Ok. So you've been told how to do something and you think to yourself, oh, I always thought it would have been the other way around. So then you say to yourself, that's how I'll remember it, "its the opposite to the way you think it would be". Then over time you start to adjust to the correct way. And you remember saying to yourself that it should be the opposite to the way you think it should be despite that fact you are now accustomed to the correct way and you end up accidentally the whole thing as a result.

#imdoingitwrong

How can I remember the correct way without this vital flaw.

Surely there is an easier way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

like being taught how to write with your right hand despite being left handed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Is it possible that everyone else is right except you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have two cousins. Niamh and Eimear. I was always calling Niamh Eimear and vice-versa. So I started thinking "Just call her the opposite of what you think her name is". Problem solved. Temporarily. Then I knew that Niamh was Niamh and Eimear was Eimear, but my brain was still thinking "Just call her the opposite of what you think her name is". So I started calling Niamh Eimear and Eimear Niamh again.

Honestly, is that so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

For example. While learning to drive you think in a country that use the old French system. You think "I would have thought you'd have to give way to traffic on the roundabout". But you don't, you give way to traffic coming on to the roundabout. So you say to yourself, remember it's not the way you think. It's the opposite way. Then as time goes on you are now used to the French system and one day coming on to a roundabout you say to yourself its the opposite way to what you think remember and bang. Your dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

The way you think naming threads should be is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

For example. While learning to drive you think in a country that use the old French system. You think "I would have thought you'd have to give way to traffic on the roundabout". But you don't, you give way to traffic coming on to the roundabout. So you say to yourself, remember it's not the way you think. It's the opposite way. Then as time goes on you are now used to the French system and one day coming on to a roundabout you say to yourself its the opposite way to what you think remember and bang. Your dead.

You need to stop thinking. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Driving on a dual carriageway, i always get the inside lane mixed up, its the opposite of what you think it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I used to think John was Edward and Edward was John.

These days I just go with the flow and call them Jedward.

Simplifies the simpletons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Nipples ... they are not for picking up radio signals !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Nipples ... they are not for picking up radio signals !!

They are, you're just no good at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kept tripping up reading that thread title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

syndeyfife wrote: »
    They are, you're just no good at it

You must have terrible trouble going through airport security ...

Madam, we're picking up al' qaeda chatter from your left nipple ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tried reading the thread title and the OP.

Now I have a headache and blood coming out of my ears :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'll admit I was actually talking to someone at the same time as I typed out that thread title.

Advertisement