Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Garda speed van

Options
  • 01-08-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a certain business van on the Dublin road parked outside the Railway Tavern has recently been re-wrapped and now it's colours and layout look suspicously like the Garda speed vans!!
    I could be completely off my rocker on this one, but I've defenitely had to look twice zipping up the hill. Pretty audacious move if this was the case though... anyone else spot this?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

The real Garda van was up at flo gas's old place tow weeks ago .
    It's just plain white . Are u talking about the go safe vans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i know the van, it has the same colours on the back but has man with a van on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

kormak wrote: »
    I've noticed a certain business van on the Dublin road parked outside the Railway Tavern has recently been re-wrapped and now it's colours and layout look suspicously like the Garda speed vans!!
    I could be completely off my rocker on this one, but I've defenitely had to look twice zipping up the hill. Pretty audacious move if this was the case though... anyone else spot this?!

Yes good spot, i noticed this also manys a morning as i headed up the Dublin Road, panic and hit the brakes thinking it was the speedvan.
    So your not alone in thinking you are off your rocker, i had the same feeling:)

Ahh the red Renault van

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

yeah... see it used to be a red van, but now it's white with red/yellow squares running around the back and sides.
    Like I say it's not a go safe van but a business van (who's name I won't mention).
    Let's just say, when you're tipping along with tired eyes in the stupid hours of the morning and you see this thing, you tend to check your speed quick fast!
    not that I'd be breaking the localized speed limit there anyway! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Was driving on the M6 in England recently and the cars in the outside lane all started to slow down, so I pulled into the centre lane and checked me speedo! right enough, there was a Traffic Patrol car parked up ahead on the hard shoulder, very visible (up high on a ramp) . . . .

As we passed, we took another look at the cop car, only to find that it was a full size cardboard cut out, obviously designed to scare the b'jasus out of speeding motorists, it worked :D

LordSutch wrote: »
    Was driving on the M6 in England recently and the cars in the outside lane all started to slow down, so I pulled into the centre lane and checked me speedo! right enough, there was a Traffic Patrol car parked up ahead on the hard shoulder, very visible (up high on a ramp) . . . .

As we passed, we took another look at the cop car, only to find that it was a full size cardboard cut out, obviously designed to scare the b'jasus out of speeding motorists, it worked :D

Yeah I've seen them too
    Very convincing . The Garda where threatening to use them too but they would make an exelent trophy for our fun loving pranksters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

They had them here for a while, only ever seen it on the N7. Plenty of photos online of people posing at them and others with lots of graffiti on them. Presume that's why they are rarely seen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Even when that Dublin Rd van was red, it was a tad worrying - there's a red go-safe van that regularly parks out at Platin Cement works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Not exactly on topic but
    My neighbour was done by a Garda standing behind an army jeep on the old N1. The row I had with him, with him giving out about 'sneaky b@stards', he wouldnt accept that if he wasnt speeding he wouldnt have been pulled:rolleyes: Id love to put one of those cardboard police cars outside his house ha!
    Cant get over the amount of people who disagree with unmarked speedchecks. As i see it whats the point in letting drivers know where they have to slow down and then floor it again after.

My dad drove a car that was the same model and colour as the unmarked police car in Dundalk a while back - the reaction of drivers from standing on breaks to being very polite and courteous, twas funny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1

I have been reading this thread wondering what the big deal was about. So what if a van looks like a Garda or Go Safe Van? If you're speeding then fair play if it makes you slow down and a pity is wasn't a real speed camera. If you're driving legally then why get animated about it?

I personally think all signage for speed cameras should be removed and just let them catch speeding motorists fair and square.

Any way, again, so what if a van looks like a speed check?

oh dear... I was wondering when the voice of moral superiority was gonna appear.
    My point in this thread is not about slowing down when you could be over the limit, It's about whether a business is potentially exploiting the look of a Garda speed van to trick people into slowing down and taking notice.
    Just an observation (albeit possibly outlansidh!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i assume that's what its doing though right? why else would it have the exact same back just for a "man with a van" van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kormak wrote: »
    oh dear... I was wondering when the voice of moral superiority was gonna appear.
    My point in this thread is not about slowing down when you could be over the limit, It's about whether a business is potentially exploiting the look of a Garda speed van to trick people into slowing down and taking notice.
    Just an observation (albeit possibly outlansidh!!)

I knew somebody would come back with the old "moral superiority" comment and I can assure you that that is not the intention at all. I genuinely can't see the issue here. How can you "trick" someone into slowing down? If you're speeding then good for them and if not then there's no issue. So, why would any business deliberatley exploit this situation? Do they sell brake pads or something? I just don't get it. That's all; no pontificating or superiority involved - just plain bewilderment. :)

I think some of the places that does have speed vans are just opportunistic
    3 mph over the limit and thankyou very much .

A fake ambulance Would be just the job
    Everybody slows down for a gawk at them

Harvey Norman might buy a few

I knew somebody would come back with the old "moral superiority" comment and I can assure you that that is not the intention at all. I genuinely can't see the issue here. How can you "trick" someone into slowing down? If you're speeding then good for them and if not then there's no issue. So, why would any business deliberatley exploit this situation? Do they sell brake pads or something? I just don't get it. That's all; no pontificating or superiority involved - just plain bewilderment. :)

How can you trick people to slow down (and take notice)...

Take for example these ads:

2804_crispad_PA_563283t.jpg

I Want to play rugby really badly now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

There are laws relating to use of emergency lighting signage etc so if they are not breaking them then they can work away. A lot of Security firms seem to like decking their vehicles very similar to "real" emergency services vehicles.

Also vans that are involved in breakdown type situations need to be well signed to get peoples attention when they are operating in live traffic. What type of business is this van involved in?

cargo wrote: »
    There are laws relating to use of emergency lighting signage etc so if they are not breaking them then they can work away. A lot of Security firms seem to like decking their vehicles very similar to "real" emergency services vehicles.

Also vans that are involved in breakdown type situations need to be well signed to get peoples attention when they are operating in live traffic. What type of business is this van involved in?

A guy with a moving buisness apparently .

On a related note I once had a guy in a 4x4 flash me out of the way with a set of them clear beacons on the headlights .
    I thought he was the Emergency services
    But it turned out to be a guy in a rush in an ex river rescue jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A mate had a white focus van with a co. logo across the bonnet, we had a bit of craic a few times signaling to guys to pull over.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement