Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis or Blur!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Cienciano wrote: »
    Except Noel, he's a legend. Always comes across as having a good sense of humour in interviews imho.

Funny you should say that, I used to think that Noel was the sound one and Liam the prick, however after reading this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasis-Truth-Tony-McCarroll/dp/1843582465, I thought the exact opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Little James - :mad:
    You live for your toys, even though they make noise
    Have you ever played with plastercine
    Or even tried a trampoline
    Thank you for your smile
    You make it all worthwhile to us

Considering how mind boggingly sh!t the above lyrics are, then I'll be going with Blur by default.

All of Liam's song don't count as they're ****e :D.

On the other hand;

Street is like a jungle
    So call the police
    Following the herd
    Down to greece
    On holiday
    Love in the 90´s
    Is paranoid
    On sunny beaches
    Take your chances looking for
    Girls who are boys
    Who like boys to be girls
    Who do boys like they´re girls
    Who do girls like they´re boys
    :mad:

kfallon wrote: »
    Liam Gallagher always reminded me of an Ian Brown wannabe tbh!

However I prefer the big guitar sound of Oasis, songs like Hindu Times were/are class.

It'd be some album to have both bands Greatest songs on it tho....just please, please, please leave Don't Look Back In Anger off it :(

*toddles off to YouTube to make an Oasis/Blur playlist*
    Anyone got any requests???

Slide Away!

Liam Gallagher always reminded me of an Ian Brown wannabe tbh!

However I prefer the big guitar sound of Oasis, songs like Hindu Times were/are class.

It'd be some album to have both bands Greatest songs on it tho....just please, please, please leave Don't Look Back In Anger off it :(

*toddles off to YouTube to make an Oasis/Blur playlist*
    Anyone got any requests???

Pretty much admitted as much too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Father Damien, your tea is ready

YEROILBEUHINAMINNAH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sea Filly wrote: »
    The Universal please!

In! :D
    He absolutely was.

There will never, ever be anybody to beat Ian Brown!!
    Slide Away!

Oh you better believe that's in :)

In! :D

Oh you better believe that's in :)

I literally agree with everything in that post!

No, you're right, noone will ever be as big a scumbag as Ian Brown :p

(and I say that as a Stone Roses fan!)

Ah here.......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't know about y'all but I've grown up and hope I never hear either of them again! Hurts my ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Blur, much more talent in that band as has been proven by their further projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Oasis always for me, brings back so many memories from the 90's, even though I was a kid. My first tape cassette was morning glory.

People always say they were just trying to be the Beatles or Stone roses wannabee's, and the fact is that they have never said otherwise. Noel even said once that he's surprised he hasn't been sued for the amount of songs he's ripped off.

But the one thing I really love bout Oasis is the fact you can always find them again, as in i mightn't listen to them for 3 months, and then hear one song on the radio and thats it for weeks.

Look, it's the second last day of my working week, I've won two games of football the last two nights, had a great night's kip last night, the sun is shining, I have me health, got a nice bit of chicken in for the dinner....let's not ruin it all with one silly throwaway remark please..... :pac:

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I don't know about y'all but I've grown up and hope I never hear either of them again! Hurts my ears

Gowayoutofit ya big Vengaboys fan! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Oasis for me. I love Blur as well but Oasis's music means everything
    to me. Doubt I'd have made it through some tough times without their music.

• Advertisement

let's not ruin it all with one silly throwaway remark please..... :pac:

Haha, right, I'll say no more :pac:

Haha, right, I'll say no more :pac:

Thank you for being considerate!!! :D

Just thinking about the video for "There's No Other Way" has me starving here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Liams songs, maybe with the exception of Songbird, are nothing to write home about. And if you dissect the lyrics of alot of Noel's hits they are all nonsense too. But he has always admitted they were nothing more than great pop/rock tunes, something to sing along to in a lot of cases.
    They did some amazing gigs when they were at their peak, before Liam lost his voice and turned into an arsehole. Oh to have been at Maine road or Knebworth in the mid-90's. Fúckin mad fer it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

If someone had a gun to my head and told me i had to pick one or they would kill all my family and friends, everybody i ever came in contact with in my life and then play Oasis and Blur's music at their funerals...then i spoze, i'd have to let him pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Pulp

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Liams songs, maybe with the exception of Songbird, are nothing to write home about. And if you dissect the lyrics of alot of Noel's hits they are all nonsense too. But he has always admitted they were nothing more than great pop/rock tunes, something to sing along to in a lot of cases.
    They did some amazing gigs when they were at their peak, before Liam lost his voice and turned into an arsehole. Oh to have been at Maine road or Knebworth in the mid-90's. Fúckin mad fer it!

There are a few of the Beatles songs that have dodgy lyrics too, they're not everything in a song. Look at 'I Am The Walrus'....which, incidentally, Oasis did a brilliant cover version of along with Slade's 'Come On Feel The Noise'

Liam's songs were absolute shite tho

There are a few of the Beatles songs that have dodgy lyrics too, they're not everything in a song. Look at 'I Am The Walrus'....which, incidentally, Oasis did a brilliant cover version of along with Slade's 'Come On Feel The Noise'

Liam's songs were absolute shite tho

Theres a great interview with the 2 of them on YT, where Noel takes the piss out of Liams song writing. He said it took him 6 minutes to throw Songbird together and then he needed to lie down for the rest of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Theres a great interview with the 2 of them on YT, where Noel takes the piss out of Liams song writing. He said it took him 6 minutes to throw Songbird together and then he needed to lie down for the rest of the year!

It shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Liam's written a few good tunes.

Born On A Different Cloud
    Soldier On
    Better Man
    Boy With The Blues

and a few more. He's not in Noel's league but he's not clueless when it comes to writing a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Tough choice. Oasis had some songs that would have been decent enough but were spoiled because they were sung by someone with the intelligence of a newborn chimp and the voice of a cat being strangled but thought he was the reincarnation of John Lennon (despite the fact he was born when John Lennon was still alive). On the other hand they never made a song as terrible as Country House or Parklife.

I used to buy Oasis' albums because I thought the songs were good enough that it was worth putting up with Liam Gallaghers voice. Over the years my tolerance for him has dwindled. I don't think I could stand to listen to him now. I like the Oasis songs that Noel sang though, or things like MTV Unplugged with Noel strumming an acoustic guitar and singing.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Pulp

Always reminds me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

cml387 wrote: »
    Since we're rehashing the nineties:

Oasis, the best Beatles tribute band ever.

I never got this, they don't sound much like The Beatles to me.
    Influenced by them? Sure, but so were numerous artists

I used to buy Oasis' albums because I thought the songs were good enough that it was worth putting up with Liam Gallaghers voice. Over the years my tolerance for him has dwindled. I don't think I could stand to listen to him now. I like the Oasis songs that Noel sang though, or things like MTV Unplugged with Noel strumming an acoustic guitar and singing.

I got the Time Flies album lately and Liams vocals are atrocious. He sounds like he has a kitchen table stuck in his neck. He didnt even try in the later years. But yeah Noel's acoustic stuff is great. Love when he does a quieter low key take on some of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I got the Time Flies album lately and Liams vocals are atrocious. He sounds like he has a kitchen table stuck in his neck. He didnt even try in the later years. But yeah Noel's acoustic stuff is great. Love when he does a quieter low key take on some of his stuff.
    I have a bootleg CD called The Acoustic Sessions. There's some great songs on it, all sung by Noel from what I remember (it's been ages since I've listened to it). I always liked his solo version of Live Forever especially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Blur ---- Gorillaz
    Oasis ---- Beady Eye

Let's not pretend there's any contest as regards creativity or evolution.

LOL

Oasis --- Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds more like. Oasis was always about the two brothers but Noel was the main creative driving force. Beady Eye aren't the successors at all, the only member of Beady Eye who was in Oasis in their heyday is Liam!

Blur were a good band but nothing they produced ever came close to Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory. Granted I never seen Blur live but Oasis were always amazing. Hope to god there's a reunion sooner rather than later!

I have a bootleg CD called The Acoustic Sessions. There's some great songs on it, all sung by Noel from what I remember (it's been ages since I've listened to it). I always liked his solo version of Live Forever especially.

That same bootleg has the first ever live performance of Wonderwall. It's magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Don't mind either but Blur are a far more interesting and creative band so I'll say...

Supergrass FTW!

LOL

Oasis --- Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds more like. Oasis was always about the two brothers but Noel was the main creative driving force. Beady Eye aren't the successors at all, the only member of Beady Eye who was in Oasis in their heyday is Liam!

High Flying Birds has a couple of great songs alright but too many of the tunes on it are in the mold of "The Importance of Being Idle" which was one of the worst Oasis songs ever! So I only end up listening to one or two of his songs ('If I Had A Gun' & 'What A Life' being the main ones) if I have that album on!

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Grew up with Oasis being blasted from my brothers room.

Always loved them!

As opposed to being blasted with Pulp? :pac:

High Flying Birds has a couple of great songs alright but too many of the tunes on it are in the mold of "The Importance of Being Idle" which was one of the worst Oasis songs ever! So I only end up listening to one or two of his songs ('If I Had A Gun' & 'What A Life' being the main ones) if I have that album on!

Many will disagree with you on that one, The Importance Of Being Idle was seen as one of their best songs since the glory days of the 90s. I agree that there hasn't been a huge change since the latter days of Oasis but hopefully Noel's collaboration album with Amorphous Androgynous will change all that!

Many will disagree with you on that one, The Importance Of Being Idle was seen as one of their best songs since the glory days of the 90s. I agree that there hasn't been a huge change since the latter days of Oasis but hopefully Noel's collaboration album with Amorphous Androgynous will change all that!

Many will agree with me too :pac:

LOL

Blur were a good band but nothing they produced ever came close to Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory. Granted I never seen Blur live but Oasis were always amazing. Hope to god there's a reunion sooner rather than later!

Gorillaz still far superior too High Flying Birds no matter what way you look at it though.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Gorillaz still far superior too High Flying Birds no matter what way you look at it though.

"Far superior" me hole. Gorillaz were a novelty act, HFB's b-sides are better than most of the Gorillaz output.

• Advertisement

"Far superior" me hole. Gorillaz were a novelty act, HFB's b-sides are better than most of the Gorillaz output.

How are they a novelty act? They did something different unlike High Flying Birds who just sound like Oasis do without Liam.

How are they a novelty act? They did something different unlike High Flying Birds who just sound like Oasis do without Liam.

Who cares if Damon Albarn did something different? That doesn't always equate to good music. The Gorillaz had some catchy songs but in no way were they "far superior" to HFB. "Sounding like Oasis do without Liam" is not a bad thing. You must be eagerly anticipating the HFB collaboration with Amorphous Androgynous seeing as you love bands that "do something different".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wow the voting has really closed in the last hour. Suppose the Oasis fans have just got out of bed.

Wow the voting has really closed in the last hour. Suppose the Oasis fans have just got out of bed.

Or got their lunch break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm glad we're finally going to answer this question because for too long people have thought that musical taste was subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Oasis- despite having an absolute twat of a frontman.

• Advertisement

Who cares if Damon Albarn did something different? That doesn't always equate to good music. The Gorillaz had some catchy songs but in no way were they "far superior" to HFB. "Sounding like Oasis do without Liam" is not a bad thing. You must be eagerly anticipating the HFB collaboration with Amorphous Androgynous seeing as you love bands that "do something different".

I like a good many Oasis songs but when you think about it, did they progress much and sound different? Not really. Neither did Beady Eye or HFB.

Haven't heard of that collaboration but maybe Noel has woken up to my point above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Who else read the OP title in a Louth accent? :o:pac:

Yeah, I admit I thought Blur would run away with this.

As opposed to being blasted with Pulp? :pac:

Pulp = the best Britpop band

They were out all morning in the sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement