Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis or Blur!?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

flyswatter wrote: »
    I like a good many Oasis songs but when you think about it, did they progress much and sound different? Not really. Neither did Beady Eye or HFB.

Haven't heard of that collaboration but maybe Noel has woken up to my point above.

They made a half-hearted attempt to progress their sound with Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants but it wasn't that well received. A lot of their fans weren't bothered about progression, they just wanted to get drunk and sing the same 'ol songs at the gigs. It is disappointing that they didn't evolve their sound more but that's the way it is. Beady Eye haven't really done anything new but I think HFB have the potential to evolve a bit better. Noel was dipping his toes in it towards the end of Oasis with all the remixes they had commissioned, hopefully he can continue on. Maybe he didn't want to alienate his current fanbase with his first solo album?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Forever Blur! I still have the single of 'Country house' I bought to push them over the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

I love Blur but its Oasis all the way.

Who inspired thousands if not million kids to pick up guitars again and start writing songs and get back into rock music?

Who had 2 of the best rock n roll albums of all time?

Who made rock n roll exciting? Interesting witty interviews with not a standard tedious cliche quote anywhere

Who inspired all the great British bands since...Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Libertines etc

Hands down Oasis were a better band than Blur. Now can we end this argument, its been 17 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Who inspired thousands if not million kids to pick up guitars again and start writing songs and get back into rock music?

That's not necessarily a good thing. The amount of times I've heard some druken idiot play 'Wonderwall' or 'Don't look back in anger' over and over again at house parties and festivals is too many to count. Doesn't happen with Blur songs
    Now can we end this argument, its been 17 years!

Yep, you just ended it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

No fan of pop music but both bands had some decent tunes between them. Can't stand the stone roses though, Christ.

Artic monkeys are the most talented British pop group of the last twenty years, kasabian are not far behind.

Sabbath and zep still piss all over the lot of them from a great height. \m/ :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Artic monkeys are the most talented British pop group of the last twenty years, kasabian are not far behind.

Nearly spat my coffee out there!

You've still got it Napper. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't stand the stone roses though, Christ.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :(

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

blur have always been far superior to oasis. graham coxon must be one of the best musicians of his generation

All of Liam's song don't count as they're ****e :D.

On the other hand;

Street is like a jungle
    So call the police
    Following the herd
    Down to greece
    On holiday
    Love in the 90´s
    Is paranoid
    On sunny beaches
    Take your chances looking for
    Girls who are boys
    Who like boys to be girls
    Who do boys like they´re girls
    Who do girls like they´re boys
    :mad:

tom yorke (the lead singer of radiohead) said that was the one song he wished he had written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Blur 51.59%, my faith in you AH scoundrels has been restored.

My view - Oasis had one sound, they were the Status Quo of Britpop. High Flying Birds are not much different. Blur on the other hand have continued to evolve, challenge and reinvent.

Once we've sorted this out can we do a Jesus or Allah poll, I kinda need to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I was oasis but on maturity I am a Blur.

A much better band.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oasis did evolve, they mixed it up with SOTSOG in 2000 with a whole new sound and feel. I loved it, cracking album that initially did well in the charts but then began to struggle. I think that spooked the lads and they reverted back to their more traditional sound with Heathen Chemistry.

Regardless I'm a big fan and own just about everything they ever recorded. I love Blur also and never saw a problem with being a fan of both bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Blur on the other hand have continued to evolve, challenge and reinvent.

Is that the only barometer for quality though. Madonna continues to "evolve, challenge an reinvent" and what you get is a 50+ woman dancing around in her underwear baring her wrinkly old arse for whoever has a camera pointed at it!

Oasis was of a time and a place. Noel's union flag guitar, Liam's parka and his funny walk, it was all very 90's. Nothing wrong with that. Everything doesnt have to go on forever. The music will always be there for a bit of nostalgia - And I'd still rather listen to it over most of the pap that comes out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No fan of pop music but both bands had some decent tunes between them. Can't stand the stone roses though, Christ.

Sabbath and zep still piss all over the lot of them from a great height. \m/ :-D

Would hate to see how high up Pink Floyd and Queen are then.

Chose Blur, just prefer their songs. Oasis suffers from too much Liam-being-a-knob songs.

Agricola wrote: »
    Is that the only barometer for quality though. Madonna continues to "evolve, challenge an reinvent" and what you get is a 50+ woman dancing around in her underwear baring her wrinkly old arse for whoever has a camera pointed at it!

You'd still throw it into her if you got a chance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It has always got to be Blur , Oasis as good as they where all their songs sounded very similar to each other .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxyboxer
    Little James
    You live for your toys, even though they make noise
    Have you ever played with plastercine
    Or even tried a trampoline
    Thank you for your smile
    You make it all worthwhile to us

Considering how mind boggingly sh!t the above lyrics are, then I'll be going with Blur by default.

All of Liam's song don't count as they're ****e :D.

On the other hand;

Street is like a jungle
    So call the police
    Following the herd
    Down to greece
    On holiday
    Love in the 90´s
    Is paranoid
    On sunny beaches
    Take your chances looking for
    Girls who are boys
    Who like boys to be girls
    Who do boys like they´re girls
    Who do girls like they´re boys
    :mad:

Yep true Liams songs aren't great and I think Little James was the first one he wrote dont think its relevant to compare the Liam singing nonsense to a child to the lyrics to Girls and Boys which were about the youth of the 90s attitude to sex, a silly song maybe but I don't think theyre as bad as rhyming plastercine with trampoline.

Anyways I like both bands but its Blur for me probably due to being clearly more diverse with their songs, on a sidenote Suede were prob my fave from the whole britpop thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Colmustard wrote: »
    I was oasis but on maturity I am a Blur.

A much better band.

I agree completely. For me I was an Oasis fan when I was little, then I got seriously into the Gorillaz since their very first album. And as I got older I went back to Blur and realised damn these boys are actually so eclectic, it's like a precursor to the Gorillaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Where is the 'they're both shíte' option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

poll lacks a Naplam Death option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Blur aren't Gorillaz, I would just like to point that out. That's Damon Albarns own little creation, some clever tunes and catchy stuff. People don't seem to point out his other projects which are/were god awful.

I like Blur alot, I listen to their albums, I seen them live, etc etc

I think a lot of Blur fans are quite bitter about Oasis. I haven't met a 'Blur fan' who openly admits to liking Oasis.

But Oasis will always be my favorite. Life changing band for me. The sound. The look. The attitude. Everything.

Shame people just can't accept that music is completely subjective.

Also, people think Liam is an awful dick, far from it. He has no problem fans approaching him for autographs, photos whatever. Noel on the other hand, can be an awful prick. And I say that as a huge fan of the band and both Liam & Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What were you like 6?

Sept 23rd 1989 isn't a reference to his birthday, coincidentally it's to do with the team supported by the Gallaghers.

Oasis for me easily, always has been, though Blur have had some cracking tunes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Blur.

Because Oasis gave knackers hope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sept 23rd 1989 isn't a reference to his birthday, coincidentally it's to do with the team supported by the Gallaghers.

Oasis for me easily, always has been, though Blur have had some cracking tunes as well.

Ah....I wasn't aware of that - I had always assumed it was his birthday too!! A quick story therefore.......

Sept 16th 1989 - was on holidays in London, and went with my cousin and her boyfriend - a Man City fanatic - to see City play away at Wimbledon. Stood with the City fans in the away end at Plough Lane - a run down, open air terrace, to see City lose 1-0 to a John Fashanu header. General depression amongst the City fans, with many lamenting, "And we're going to get hammered next week!!" :D

As for the thread itself - both great bands - my own opinion was that Oasis reached heights that Blur never did (Definitely Maybe for sure) but that Blur were consistently better over the course of their lifespan, if that makes sense!! Some of Blur's early stuff (pre Parklife) was great!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I haven't met a 'Blur fan' who openly admits to liking Oasis.

Allow me to introduce myself, Blur fan to the core but Definitely Maybe, great album, some great songs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Blur have more variety in their stuff but Oasis wrote better songs. None of Blur's albums can compare to Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Oasis, for sure. Definitely Maybe album is, just awesome. ;D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

kfallon wrote: »
    Liam Gallagher always reminded me of an Ian Brown wannabe tbh!

Sure he just wanted to be adored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

For some reason circa the years in question the public
    always appeared to find the need to "VS" popular bands with each other.

Oasis vs Blur
    Take that vs East 17
    East17 vs New Kids on the Block
    Boyzone vs westlife
    Atomic Kitten vs Destiny Child
    Boyzone Vs Westlife
    REM vs B52's
    Pixies vs violent femmes
    Radio head vs coldplay

Despite all of the above for some Horrific reason Cliff Richard used
    to always get popular around Christmas time.

~B

bullets wrote: »

Oasis vs Blur
    Take that vs East 17
    Boyzone vs westlife
    Boyzone Vs Westlife
    REM vs B52's
    Pixies vs violent femmes
    Radio head vs coldplay

~B

You forgot Val Doonican v Inglebert Humperdinck :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 DaenyB

Absolutely has to be Blur all the way. Massive fan from a very young age since I first saw the video to 'there's no other way' on that music show Dave fanning used have on a Sunday morning (was it 2tv??)

Hadn't listened to them in years til I saw them at oxegen a few years back and fell in love with them all over again (tho now I am aware of the fact that I won't actually grow up and marry Damon albarn!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Gotta be Blur. Far more creative than that pair of Beatles pilfering coonts.

listened to the best of blur on a long journey today, as i do everytime im in the car. brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Blur by a long stretch.A lot more songs of substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Blur for me over Oasis but Stone Roses miles ahead of both..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

To be honest I don't particularly love either band but you'd have to admit both have some amazing tunes. At the moment I'd have to go for Blur though, Tender is immense! Both bands have some amazing classics that defined an era. I love Noel, think he's so funny and HFB have some potential, thought there album was fairly good. Also think Damon Albarn is something of a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bullets wrote: »

Oasis vs Blur
    Take that vs East 17
    Boyzone vs westlife
    Boyzone Vs Westlife
    REM vs B52's :confused:
    Pixies vs violent femmes :confused:
    Radio head vs coldplay :eek::eek:

~B

I never heard any of those three "vs" before..

I dislike the whole pitting bands against each other though, 'tis a bit silly.

Unless it's the Beatles vs Jedward.. Could be arguing that for Centuries..

On a side note, I never knew half (or all) of Blur were Herion addicts.. Saw it on a doc in mates gaff the other day.. Was shocked by how deep in it they all were. Probably because i always saw them as clean cut, Especially when they had their "Charlatans" and "Frank & Walters" haircuts.

Advertisement