Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 6.5m midfielder Dilemma

• 01-08-2012 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I actually think the choice of 6.5m is the toughest this year, there are so many options at this price this year, I can fit in rooney,aguero,hazard and kagawa and the cheap 5.0m enabler is a easy choice with nolan or maloney,so which of the 6.5m players provide the best value,the pick of the bunch are

Pieenar
    McClean
    Walters
    Michu
    Holiett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

Pienaar
    Pros:
    • Linked up well with Jelavic at the end of last season, scoring and assisting for fun.
    • Experienced Premiership player.
    Cons:
    • Overall premiership record suggests that he would not be able to maintain his form from last season.
    • Everton have a history of starting slowly.
    McClean
    Pros:
    • Took the premiership by storm last season with goals and assists.
    • Knows what the premiership is about so could be even better this year.
    Cons:
    • Sunderland have no real strikers currently so they could struggle offensively.
    Walters
    Pros:
    • Often plays OOP as a striker. I was surprised he was a classed as a midfielder again this season.
    • Having a good preseason.
    • Stoke may benefit from not playing in Europe this season.
    Cons:
    • When he gets moved to midfield he is much less effective.
    Michu
    Pros:
    • Good record from Spain.
    • Relatively easy run of fixtures for Swansea to begin with.
    Cons:
    • Untried in the Premiership.
    • May be easied into the first team.
    Hoilett
    Pros:
    • QPR have made a few new signings and look like they should have a better season.
    • Could potentially play upfront.
    Cons:
    • Will he definitely start? Plenty of competition for places.
    • Taarabt at £6m is the main man and £0.5m cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

You could add Larsson to that list.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was hoping Michu would be cheaper than 6.5, think I'll wait and see with him.

Walters I think is the safest choice personally.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jam08

What about Carrick?

Main pro is that he should start the season in the team.

Cons are that he only got 2 goals and 4 assists last season, but with a good pre-season behind him could improve.

Also 6m, giving 0.5 left over.

Alex Song at 6.5m also picked up a decent amount of points last season, and should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pienaar or McClean for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

jenno99 wrote: »
    [*] Taarabt at £6m is the main man and £0.5m cheaper.
    [/LIST]

Does many people fancy taarabt this year? He'll be playing with better players

I know you're not meant to think too much about this, but since I was burnt by him and Dembele last year I'm going to wait until there's proof of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

N'Zogbia another that could step it up this year with a competent manager in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He's a bit unstable.

My formula is start with tried and tested - Pienaar and Walters.

Those two have delivered in the past and are most likely to deliver again. If any of the others excel, I'll ship them in for one of those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Buy Joe Allen for 5.5 and save yourself a millers........................:D:D:D

If he goes to Pool he will be the first bandwagon i reckon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

dahat wrote: »
    Buy Joe Allen for 5.5 and save yourself a millers........................:D:D:D

If he goes to Pool he will be the first bandwagon i reckon....

...except he is not really an attcking midfield and although he can certainly pass the ball dosn't really score goals so wont ever rack up points in terms of FF! IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

...except he is not really an attcking midfield and although he can certainly pass the ball dosn't really score goals so wont ever rack up points in terms of FF! IMO
    Aye I agree with SpaceCowb0y, great passer of the ball but not good enough in FF terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Walters STO 6.5 140
    Larsson SUN 6.5 128
    Song ARS 6.5 125
    Dyer SWA 5.5 122
    Etherington STO 6.5 121
    Allen SWA 5.5 117

Didn't score too badly last year did he?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

What about Downing?

Obv he had a shocker last year but in the past he has been a good FPL producer. Grabbed a goal last night, £6.5m for a Liverpool midfielder could be a right bargain.

Liverpool have a tough start so I'm not going to start with him in, but I'll keep my eye on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

jenno99 wrote: »
    What about Downing?

Obv he had a shocker last year but in the past he has been a good FPL producer. Grabbed a goal last night, £6.5m for a Liverpool midfielder could be a right bargain.

Liverpool have a tough start so I'm not going to start with him in, but I'll keep my eye on him.
    Aye worth keeping an eye on but I wouldn't expect much from him FF wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rumours of a Barca bid for Song,he was brilliant in linking up & creating chances for RVP last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

zerks wrote: »
    Rumours of a Barca bid for Song,he was brilliant in linking up & creating chances for RVP last season.

Not surprised to hear that. I had Song in several of my opening drafts. Potential assist machine. He could be awesome with Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

carlcon wrote: »
    Not surprised to hear that. I had Song in several of my opening drafts. Potential assist machine. He could be awesome with Barca.

Ramsey is another one to consider....

Ramsey didn't get near as much game time as Song and was only 20 points behind him.

If Ramsey stays fit this season then I'd expect him to out score Song.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement