Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticking items to tiles

• 01-08-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to put some items up in my bathroom (toilet roll holder, towel rack etc). Now, problem is that I have gone through probably 10 drill bits trying to drill holes for different items, and Ive only managed to hang three different mirrors in ensuite, upstairs and downstairs bathrooms.

Ive come to the end of my tether with it, so im looking for an adhsive that I can apply to the tiles to hang some of this stuff, as its not that heavy. I have used all the tricks for drilling tiles (keep bit cool etc) but the tiles are impossible to work with.

Is there any adhesive out there that wont be impossible to remove in the future if needs be?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You can buy "twist n lock" suction toilet roll and towel holders.

They have a suction cup on them,and you simply twist/tighten them into place.The suction/pressure keeps them on the wall.

Works a treat and stays on the wall under load too......(I have them in my own bathroom and ensuite).

They are made by Croydex.

http://www.croydex.com/category/9-semi-permanent-accessories.aspx

http://www.croydex.com/category/105-stick-n-lock-plus.aspx

http://www.croydex.com/category/95-wall-mounted.aspx

Currently about 10 euro for the bog roll holder in Tesco and the same for the towel ring too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭LowOdour

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can buy suction toilet roll and towel holders.

They have a suction cup on them,and you simply twist/tighten them into place.The scution/pressure keeps them on the wall.

Works a treat and stays on the wall under load too.

About 8-10 euro for the bog roll holder and the same for the towel ring too.

Only issue with that is that I already have the stuff (6 items in all) and they match the furniture in the bathroom so it would be a big cost to replace everything. Thanks for the idea though

:cool:
    LowOdour wrote: »
    Only issue with that is that I already have the stuff (6 items in all) and they match the furniture in the bathroom so it would be a big cost to replace everything. Thanks for the idea though

Flog the stuff on Donedeal or adverts.ie.;)

PS-Links added to post above...regarding Croydex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What sort of drill bits are you using? what sort of tiles are you trying to drill?

I've never had any issues drilling tiles, usually just use the correct bit, keep the RPM down, keep the bit wet and you'll get there. Then if its a concrete wall behind them, just swap over to a masonry bit and drill the rest of the hole.

I've never seen bathroom fittings that stick up, you could always try something like TEC7, but i wouldn't hold my breath in such an environment. On second thoughts 2 Pack apoxy resin that you'll pick up in a motor factors will probably do a good job too, that sticks to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Either twist and lock as paddy says. There is different versions some are crap

or

Drill the grout lines.

or use freestand stuff.

No other miracles i am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ive used tile bits to drill the ceramic tile at a low RPM, and kept the bit cool at all times and then used a masonry bit for the block behind. Have also tried drilling at the grout line, but still bits wore away. Im obviously doing something wrong, but I cant afford the time/money to keep trying to drill them....think tec7 might be the way to go unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

personally , i never use those tile or ceramic bits .
    i use a masonary bit but first pick the spot you want to drill mark it , take a nail (or a spade bit ) and gently tap with a hammer to break the glaze on the tile .position the masonary bit there and take it handy .

there is a chinese tile on the market (24x12)and the only thing i could get thru it with was a carbide tip hole saw .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

anuprising wrote: »
    personally , i never use those tile or ceramic bits .
    i use a masonary bit but first pick the spot you want to drill mark it , take a nail (or a spade bit ) and gently tap with a hammer to break the glaze on the tile .position the masonary bit there and take it handy .

there is a chinese tile on the market (24x12)and the only thing i could get thru it with was a carbide tip hole saw .

I know a lot of people that do this. But you can crack the tile if your not aware of working too closly to the edge...

The electrician i hired to hang a mirror was this school. He was feckin ages drilling one hole. Then i gave him a diamond tipped bit i bought from dpl and he was ranting for ages about it. I ended up letting him hold onto it.

You can buy single bits very cheap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

LowOdour wrote: »
    ive used tile bits to drill the ceramic tile at a low RPM, and kept the bit cool at all times and then used a masonry bit for the block behind. Have also tried drilling at the grout line, but still bits wore away. Im obviously doing something wrong, but I cant afford the time/money to keep trying to drill them....think tec7 might be the way to go unfortunately

Really not trying to be funny here but are you sure the drill is not in reverse??

Happened me once drilling through tiles - nearly threw the drill into the bin as I couldn't figure out what was going on - went away had a cup of tea, came back and spotted drill was in reverse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Easy option = Tec7

Put up toilet roll holders and shower accessories with it before and still in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,629 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Really not trying to be funny here but are you sure the drill is not in reverse??

Happened me once drilling through tiles - nearly threw the drill into the bin as I couldn't figure out what was going on - went away had a cup of tea, came back and spotted drill was in reverse :)

Lol, never lasted quite as long as that, but it can happen.

That tip about using a nail to very carefully chip the surface of the tile before drilling - it only needs a tiny mark on the tile to work, but it is the easiest way. Go slowly and not on hammer and you can get through tiles, though its a bit hair raising in a newly tiled room! I don't possess a diamond bit, have drilled through tiles with an ordinary masonry bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can buy "twist n lock" suction toilet roll and towel holders.

They have a suction cup on them,and you simply twist/tighten them into place.The suction/pressure keeps them on the wall.

Works a treat and stays on the wall under load too......(I have them in my own bathroom and ensuite).

http://www.croydex.com/category/9-semi-permanent-accessories.aspx

http://www.croydex.com/category/105-stick-n-lock-plus.aspx

http://www.croydex.com/category/95-wall-mounted.aspx

Currently about 10 euro for the bog roll holder in Tesco and the same for the towel ring too.

20 odd in woodies. Ye've been warned.

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    20 odd in woodies. Ye've been warned.

Big reason why I dont buy anything from Woodies.

Way way overpriced.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trebor59

Tech 7 as mentioned is one solution....If your tiles are stone (of a certain kind) you may have a problem..the best bit for drilling them I have found is called Tilemax (i think) you can also drill with a diamond tip bit but it's a lot slower than the Tilemax bit (no hammer - drill slow and wet) buy a couple - they're around a fiver each and no need to pilot them they'll start where you want..
    You'll never use an ordinary masonry bit drilling tiles again :)

Advertisement