Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I have another salmon darne defrosting...

Options
  • 01-08-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

And salmon darnes with sliced tomato, pepper, and parsley cooked in tinfoil in the oven is sure getting old!

I usually have it with some baby potatoes, broccoli, and carrots.

Have you any suggestions for me?

I have things like fresh garlic, lemon, ginger, and nutmeg there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

When cooking salmon I like to cover it in tin foil in sort of a pouch so it steams and I add the sort of things that you just mentioned. Just add some garlic, lemon, ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper and put it all in the pouch with the salmon.

I know it's simple but it tastes really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Do you have any sweet chilli sauce? Marinade it in sweet chilli sauce for >30mins.

Bake till cooked. Its yum.

I also like terriaki salmon (same method as sweet chilli sauce, except different bottle! Serve with noodles), and salmon ramen.

Finally you could try doing a crust (lemon zest, parsely, salt pepper and breadcrumbs ) and bake it that way

Finally sometimes I griddle it (v. healthy) and serve with baked sweet potato wedges and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

maamom wrote: »
    When cooking salmon I like to cover it in tin foil in sort of a pouch so it steams and I add the sort of things that you just mentioned. Just add some garlic, lemon, ginger, soy sauce, salt and pepper and put it all in the pouch with the salmon.

I know it's simple but it tastes really good.

I have all those ingredients, but I think I have been putting in too much garlic, you probably only use a clove or so?
    Dinkie wrote: »
    Do you have any sweet chilli sauce? Marinade it in sweet chilli sauce for >30mins.

Bake till cooked. Its yum.

I don't have any, although it's something I've been meaning to pick up, or make, especially if it would last awhile...
    I also like terriaki salmon (same method as sweet chilli sauce, except different bottle! Serve with noodles), and salmon ramen.

Teryaki I do have, and I usually marinate it in a small plastic bag for 30 minutes, or more. Is salmon ramen not just salmon served with noodles or is it more particular?
    Finally you could try doing a crust (lemon zest, parsely, salt pepper and breadcrumbs ) and bake it that way

Outside of the tinfoil this time, do I need to grease a dish or live oil it, and for how long do I cook it?
    Finally sometimes I griddle it (v. healthy) and serve with baked sweet potato wedges and salad.

All good advice :) But isn't oven baking in tinfoil (or out of it) just as healthy as grilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Salmon with Wasabi Sauce and Baby Bok Choy

This is a favorite of mine and yes it is stolen from Martha Stewart,

Ingredients

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
    2 to 3 teaspoons wasabi paste
    1 piece (1 1/2 inches long) fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    4 skinless salmon fillets, (6 to 8 ounces each) (You can use darnes with the skin on, but don't cook for as long)
    1/2 cup mirin
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    4 heads baby bok choy (1 1/4 pounds total), halved lengthwise

Directions

In a blender, combine mayonnaise, Corriander, lime juice, wasabi, ginger, and 1 tablespoon water. Blend until smooth, adding up to 2 tablespoons more water to thin sauce, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season salmon with salt and pepper; place in skillet, flat side up (skin down). Cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.

Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Add mirin and soy sauce, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Add bok choy; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 3 to 5 minutes; discard liquid. Drizzle salmon with wasabi sauce, and serve with bok choy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i did teriyaki salmon soba the other night, inspired by wagamama's. :)

basically noodles, fresh veg (baby corn, mange tout, bok choi, garlic & ginger, sesame seeds and some sesame oil stir fried together, with some teriyaki marinated salmon grilled and flaked on top. very tasty.

we also do a grilled salmon salad quite regularly as well, with some nice steamed baby new potatoes and the usual salady type ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

An easy one, along the tinfoil pouch lines, is to sprinkle the salmon with cajun spice, add a few slices of lemon and a small knob of butter on top and bake (wrapped in tinfoil). Only needs <10 minutes to cook at 180. Serve with asparagus or peas or runner beans and baby potatoes

Advertisement