Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendation for impact driver and drill combo set

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

healyon wrote: »
    Has any body seen any good deals around for an impact driver and cordless drill combo, something like this but for a bit less money, ideally under 150 if possible, any body got any recommendations what brands to aim for at this price and what to avoid

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MAKITA-14-4v-TWIN-PACK-DRILL-DRIVER-IMPACT-DRIVER-2BT-/310222605949?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item483ab54e7d

I recently bought a MacAllister "Mac" 18v cordless impact drill/driver with 2 lithium quick charge batteries for 60 euro.

Complete with carry bag and shoulder strap
    Reduced from 100 euro to 60 euro in B&Q Liffey Valley.:).

I also seem to recall B&Q Liffey Valley selling that Makita 14.4v drill combo on special offer for around 120-125 euro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Might drop in to liffy vally on my way home, are Mac tools a B&Q own brand or are they widely sold accross all outlets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Might drop in to liffy vally on my way home, are Mac tools a B&Q own brand or are they widely sold accross all outlets

I actually and honestly dont know.:confused:

I was on the lookout for a new cordless,after the charger lead frayed/failed on my old cordless,so I bought the Mac dril for 60 euro.

Charge time is very fast and its a bloody good drill/screw gun combo.....so far.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Don't know what sort of work you are doing but if i was you I would buy a proper corded impact drill with adjustble speed and forget about the cordless drill. This will put in any screw or any work you need to do. One proper drill for all DIY tasks. It depends really if cordless is a real requirement outside of convenience.

This bosch for around 130 euro will do some serious work for you. I am not a big fan of the cheaper model in B&q etc because for a few euro extra you get a proper branded drill. This is not expensive in any manner.

Horses for courses i guess and if you do decide to go for a cordless one anything under 18v is a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't know what sort of work you are doing but if i was you I would buy a proper corded impact drill with adjustble speed and forget about the cordless drill. This will put in any screw or any work you need to do. One proper drill for all DIY tasks. It depends really if cordless is a real requirement outside of convenience.

This bosch for around 130 euro will do some serious work for you. I am not a big fan of the cheaper model in B&q etc because for a few euro extra you get a proper branded drill. This is not expensive in any manner.

Horses for courses i guess and if you do decide to go for a cordless one anything under 18v is a complete waste of time.

I get the impression he is looking for a powerful screwdriver that might see some light duty drilling rather than an actual drill for drilling.

For actual drilling you are quite right however. I always wondered why it was that tradesmen doing work for me were able to drill through walls in my house like butter and yet my own bosch corded drill was useless. Then I learnt about SDS drills and that explained it. I'll be picking one up for definate next year when I start my DIY projects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I bought a Mac drill in B&Q some time ago - did not find it durable at all. Lots of problems with - definitely not suitable for heavy duty work. As a previous contributor said - stick with proven brands.

Thanks for the replies this will be mostly using for screwing decking and fencing, had a look in band q and they have a hitachi on special with 2 18v lion batteries so i think ill pick that one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Thanks for the replies this will be mostly using for screwing decking and fencing, had a look in band q and they have a hitachi on special with 2 18v lion batteries so i think ill pick that one up

Don't buy the hitachi one! I worked with a lad who bought one and it broke his heart trying to get the batteries out of the drill. In fact he would have to hold the battery clips and hit the battery off the bench in order to get them out and battery life is terrible.

The bigger the amp the longer the battery will last especially as you'll be doing a lot of screwing when your doing decking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

When I read "screwing decking and fencing" I think heavy duty. What I use is a DeWalt Impact Driver and Drill combo bought as a kit and I've noticed the same kit recently in the local builders merchants for iirc €249.

DC827 Impact Driver (150Nm 250W)

DC721 Drill/Screwdriver (2 Speed 400W)

2Ah 18V NiCads x2

1hr Charger

+ Case

Found the Impact Driver brilliant for decking bolts and roofing bolts, will drive pozi or phillips heads with care but don't use it to remove them as it will strip the heads very quickly.

If you want to see what you can do with an Impact driver check these youtube videos, (not exactly the same one I have these are the Nano - Lithium Battery version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVsdmaAWEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAbXhvuvclk

/edit Checking with the Op's eBay link, I'd say for occasional use then that Makita set is OK, if its going to get a bit more use or hard use then I'd go for 18V and a min of 2Ah batteries (note a lot of the DeWalt kits like in B&Q are made cheaper deals by inculding 1.2Ah batteries and they are rubish imo).

Thanks went for the hitachi and cant fault it, no problems clipping in the battery and it flies the screws into the decking with ease

• Advertisement
Advertisement