Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid cable case dismissed by court

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

TDs should investigate the whole community council area and see if it requires regulation. I think this thread has gone some way to highlight the issues around transparency and

On second thoughts WE all should be asking where the fcuk the T.Ds went or what they done. The talked a lot of crap at public meeting especially leading up to the elections and to take your points from previous discussion if we had T.Ds like Minister Reilly or Alan Farrell running this, or Clare Daly we would be faced with them investigating their own party members? Would I not be right there? The rumour mill had it here and elsewhere that a prominent member of Rush C.C. will be running in next election for F.G......... Might only be rumour, might not though

Back to the drawing board. I would put far more creedence on what I read from a few here that our elected reps.......

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

LeoB wrote: »
    I am unsure of the timeline but thought the meeting in St. Josephs was first and carpark rally second.

My understanding is meeting in St. Joseph's, followed by a meeting in Rush National, followed by a "selected" meeting in Rush Golf Club, followed by the rally.

I use the term "selected" as I knew nothing about it but was told afterwards that people were invited to it. (This may not be the full story as it may have been a full meeting I wasn't aware of). I was also advised that James Reilly withdrew his promise to stop Eirgrid being routed through Rush at this meeting, instead he said he would wait for the Kema Safety Report.

I have written to Rush Community Council Limited requesting further information, but have yet to receive a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

I heard that Rush Community Council had said (at a committee meeting a couple of weeks ago) that they were waiting to hear back from their Barrister. He obviously uses carrier pigeons with no sense of direction.

Fingal County Council has a role to play here, as the Local Authority recognising Rush Community Council as the official conduit to the community. RCC is clearly dislocated from the community and that is evident from the lack of communication with the residents of Rush, regarding the outcome of the court case.

Not only that but the public reps are also silent on the issue. Where are the statements from councillors and TDs welcoming the fact that a judgement has been handed down acknowledging no health implications from the project? This is incredible treatment of the residents living along the route of the Interconnector or the people who were concerned at the fact that it was running past Rush National School.

I see from the Rush Needs You Facebook page that they recently posted a statement saying they do not represent RCC and also stating they post items from various organisations in the town. Yet the administrators of the page are willing to stay anonymous whilst posting information 'courtesy' of chairpersons of RCC subcommittees. Who are the admins for Rush Needs You? Are they members of Rush Community Council or members of sub committees? Perhaps they're relatives of members of RCC or maybe people who are completely impartial or independent. I believe people have a right to know. At the very least, in the interest of transparency.

Genuine question, does anyone here know who the admins are for the Rush Needs You Facebook page? I don't want their names to be revealed on here but can anyone actually confirm they know who they are?

And after what is nearly one month, still no official statement from Rush Community Council. It's ridiculous at this stage. How stupid do they think people are? Rhetorical question...I think the answer is pretty clear to everyone on here. Maybe they think the issue will just go away.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MaurMaurMaur

Sorry for this Leo, and I dont want to come over harsh and personal.

You are as politically naiive as a teenager.

The TDs who stood on the back of the truck needed your votes. They have access to advice and info on planning matters and all sorts and I can promise you 100% that they knew that the eirgrid cable would not cause cancer. They then knew that anything that they did was a winner in terms of votes. You was robbed. I said it at the time and got ignored by a few people who couldnt hear it :)

When the judgement came back they ran for cover having "just sought clarity" from eirgrid, the planning board, the high court...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Just an observation from afar.

1. There was no good reason for the cable to be routed through Rush
    2. The politicians were asleep at the wheel in not spotting the proposal and flagging it miles in advance
    3. My cynical self would say that in planning these things they start with the end point decided and then put in place the process that will give them the result they want. So all consultations are worth feck all in reality.

• Advertisement

I heard that Rush Community Council had said (at a committee meeting a couple of weeks ago) that they were waiting to hear back from their Barrister. He obviously uses carrier pigeons with no sense of direction.
    Fingal County Council has a role to play here, as the Local Authority recognising Rush Community Council as the official conduit to the community. RCC is clearly dislocated from the community and that is evident from the lack of communication with the residents of Rush, regarding the outcome of the court case.
    Well we know how long the legal process takes in this country. Its not unusual for long delays. So what do you want Fingal to do? Rush C.C. is the offical conduit of the community whether you like it or not. They got elected at their A.G.M which a lot of us ME included didnt bother going to.
    Not only that but the public reps are also silent on the issue. Where are the statements from councillors and TDs welcoming the fact that a judgement has been handed down acknowledging no health implications from the project? This is incredible treatment of the residents living along the route of the Interconnector or the people who were concerned at the fact that it was running past Rush National School.
    Did you consider some of them might agree with Rush C.C
    I see from the Rush Needs You Facebook page that they recently posted a statement saying they do not represent RCC and also stating they post items from various organisations in the town. Yet the administrators of the page are willing to stay anonymous whilst posting information 'courtesy' of chairpersons of RCC subcommittees. Who are the admins for Rush Needs You? Are they members of Rush Community Council or members of sub committees? Perhaps they're relatives of members of RCC or maybe people who are completely impartial or independent. I believe people have a right to know. At the very least, in the interest of transparency.

Genuine question, does anyone here know who the admins are for the Rush Needs You Facebook page? I don't want their names to be revealed on here but can anyone actually confirm they know who they are?
    I know who the admins of Rush Needs You facebook page are.
    There is nothing wrong with the statement they issued. It was issued in light of some enquiries sent to them. They are correct in that they publis loads of stuff from any clubs or organisations that asks them and they share quite a bit of material. It is their wish to keep annoymous and also their right. Why dont you put your name to some of your posts, in the interests of transparency.

And after what is nearly one month, still no official statement from Rush Community Council. It's ridiculous at this stage. How stupid do they think people are? Rhetorical question...I think the answer is pretty clear to everyone on here. Maybe they think the issue will just go away.:mad:
    Most agree the communication leaves a lot to be desired.
    Sorry for this Leo, and I dont want to come over harsh and personal.

You are as politically naiive as a teenager....
    Were you looking over my shoulder in the polling booth? Thats just a little harsh but no offence taken even if you are way off the mark.
    Eh I can hold my hand on my heart or put it on a bible but I voted for none of the people on the platform at the rally. Naive I may be but I am not that naieve.
    The TDs who stood on the back of the truck needed your votes. They have access to advice and info on planning matters and all sorts and I can promise you 100% that they knew that the eirgrid cable would not cause cancer. They then knew that anything that they did was a winner in terms of votes. You was robbed. I said it at the time and got ignored by a few people who couldnt hear it :)
    I would have said similar and was also ignored. Yes the campaign was hijacked to extent by these so called public reps.
    When the judgement came back they ran for cover having "just sought clarity" from eirgrid, the planning board, the high court...
    No matter what happened in Rush with Eirgrid there was going to be a clean out of sitting T.Ds
    SeaSide wrote: »
    Just an observation from afar.

1. There was no good reason for the cable to be routed through Rush.
    Birds in the estuary;) Yet Fingal go laying a pipe accross it. It was actually €5.5million more expensive to go the route they choose, mind you that figure will change from time to time.
    2. The politicians were asleep at the wheel in not spotting the proposal and flagging it miles in advance.
    Bang on there seaside
    3. My cynical self would say that in planning these things they start with the end point decided and then put in place the process that will give them the result they want. So all consultations are worth feck all in reality.
    I agree with you 100%.

Leo, first let me say that I am glad you didn't take my remark personally. And fwiw if you could look over my shoulder and see who I voted for I would be embarrassed as the person has proved to be ...ahem... Unsuitable for high public office.

It wasn't a case that the campaign "got hijacked" by TDs. On the contrary Peart described the whole thing as "misconceived". When the history of rush gets written in future it will record that the only harm done was a road closure or two. Nobody will even think that there was a better route and tbh I am against ANY work in the estuary, as would I imagine a lot of wildlife groups and the European Commission. One of the people close to the "campaign" told me that they knew this too, just a ploy to push the cable away from Rush completely. Let's be honest here seasider!

The reason you walked your dog the night of the AGM was that the RCC is a stitched up body run by a group of people from Church1. If anyone showed ambition there's a Termagant who goes around ensuring block (literally) voting takes place. This is well known in this town. Nobody could be bothered dealing with those people Leo, and be sure no matter how many of us show up they will ensure the community council is theirs.

Leo, first let me say that I am glad you didn't take my remark personally. And fwiw if you could look over my shoulder and see who I voted for I would be embarrassed as the person has proved to be ...ahem... Unsuitable for high public office. .
    People voted for change which is their right. Did a wise poster here say lets learn from the mistakes of history and ensure we dont repeat them
    It wasn't a case that the campaign "got hijacked" by TDs. On the contrary Peart described the whole thing as "misconceived". When the history of rush gets written in future it will record that the only harm done was a road closure or two. Nobody will even think that there was a better route and tbh I am against ANY work in the estuary, as would I imagine a lot of wildlife groups and the European Commission. One of the people close to the "campaign" told me that they knew this too, just a ploy to push the cable away from Rush completely. Let's be honest here seasider! .
    Maybe it was misconcieved only time will tell. I am all for preserving the estuary but dont understand how Eirgrid cant come up it yet Fingal can carry out major works right through the place.
    The reason you walked your dog the night of the AGM was that the RCC is a stitched up body run by a group of people from Church1. If anyone showed ambition there's a Termagant who goes around ensuring block (literally) voting takes place. This is well known in this town. Nobody could be bothered dealing with those people Leo, and be sure no matter how many of us show up they will ensure the community council is theirs.
    I dont really accept this part. I like most others should have made more of an effort to be there and ask questions, I took the easy job because I probably said to myself "Ah someone else will ask".

Not sure about block voting I actually think this is urban myth. A common atidtude around Rush was "ah the same old faces will be there and the sme people will get elected", deep sense of apathy and this is our fault. I think if you or me went to the A.G.M and got niminated to go on the committee we would get elected, in fact I am sure we would. I would be bothered dealing with them as things cant be changed from the outside and I think they would welcome some good clear minded people with a decent vision for Rush.

There has been a massive change in the people serving on various committees in the town over the last few years, not only here but in some clubs also and it can be a rough time for these people (Leaving Eirgrid aside)

I have a lot of faith in the local people who go on to some of these committees but without the backing of people we cant progress and I think a big heave over the Eirgrid debacle will be devisive for the town. I dont want that and suspect they dont want it either.

I will be putting forward a proposal to chairperson, Secretary and another member of Rush C.C. in next few weeks on how I believe they can improve the P.R side of things and involve more people and more people need to come with ideas. Its all very well us sitting here and saying this should change but we need to let other people know our views. I spoke to one active local person this week and they felt my proposal would be good idea, infact they plan on submitting something similar. Jeasus maybe I am Naieve after all;)

People voted for change which is their right. Did a wise poster here say lets learn from the mistakes of history and ensure we dont repeat them

Sorry Leo

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."
    Hegel, Friedrich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

That's a bit strong don't you think?

• Advertisement

Sorry Leo

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."
    Hegel, Friedrich

If we want to learn we learn but I see what you mean.

To put it mildly its a bit strong.

Got me ears chewed off this off this evening after a match about this thread. One person was in favour of the cable but wondered about the route, they were unaware of the cost factor but also felt noone can say for definate how the cable will react, re -emmissions. The other person said they could put it in his driveway so a mixed view.

They found the thread most amusing and mentioned how some people appeared to have a grudge against the council or some members. Both gave mixed reviews of Community Council. Communication it appears is a problem ok. However one went and offered to take on a job and was given full support of the council after a discussion. He also felt if I went or anyone else went with a proposal they would do the same. It was said to him a lot of people are reluctant to take on a job and follow it through so while it might look a lot of people are active its not quite like that. A lot of time was taken up with Eirgrid while we have lost our Garda station, A.I.B about to close, 3 armed robberies, numerous house break-ins, serious assults, drug busts, underage drinking and as a town we dont appear to have a person who can issue statements or liease with authourities. . Both also felt some people on here making very good points would perhaps take on one of these areas and lighten the burden.

The most interesting part of the chat was "Rush C.C will not be responsible for the bill for legal fee's. Im no legal eagle so dont ask me how do they make that out. .

Going back to the oral hearing in Balbriggan Rush C.C. had representation on day 1 and they were told they would not be needed again until day 3 when in fact the agenda or proceedures were changed slightly and day 2 was to prove vital.

No. I am referring to a type of person for which the word was designed. Not named and because there could be several who I mean I think it's fair enough. While posting up they're personal emails....

They found the thread most amusing and mentioned how some people appeared to have a grudge against the council or some members. .

I have no problem saying that I have a grudge against a lot of the people who re involved in theAnti Eirgrid committe Rush Community Council. Why would that be "amusing" to anyone in particular.

No. I am referring to a type of person for which the word was designed. Not named and because there could be several who I mean I think it's fair enough. While posting up they're personal emails....

Emails addresses in the public domain that are obviously activily used for official RCC business....... And the word you used refers to female form in my dictionary
    a harsh-tempered or overbearing woman.

Pretty much zones down who you have a problem with on RCC.

I have no problem saying that I have a grudge against a lot of the people who re involved in theAnti Eirgrid committe Rush Community Council. Why would that be "amusing" to anyone in particular.

Not much point banging on here about it. Go to an A.G.M or write to them and tell them what a bad job they are doing. If I felt they were not doing a good job I would be talking to them, but that would not be a grudge on my part.

Is your grudge against these people because of the stance they took or did it sway you at all? And I aint asking your business but I wonder how many people were against the Re-route Eirgrid because they didnt like someone involved. To be honest it stopped me getting involved, I felt one or two were there to make noise, not even stir ****, and someone I spoke to felt the same because of a family dispute about 50years ago . Not much use when a community needs to pull together

I think what people found amusing was the posts going from one to another here

Fair play to you for your honesty

Apart from the tumbleweed from the RCC direction has anyone heard any official feedback from the political persons that democratically represent Rush? I would have thought they would be overjoyed to hear that the cable doesn't present such a safety risk as we were led to believe.

These two have at least responded.
    http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/politicians-in-war-of-words-following-eirgrid-decision-3212733.html

Not much point banging on here about it. Go to an A.G.M or write to them and tell them what a bad job they are doing. If I felt they were not doing a good job I would be talking to them, but that would not be a grudge on my part.

Is your grudge against these people because of the stance they took or did it sway you at all? And I aint asking your business but I wonder how many people were against the Re-route Eirgrid because they didnt like someone involved. To be honest it stopped me getting involved, I felt one or two were there to make noise, not even stir ****, and someone I spoke to felt the same because of a family dispute about 50years ago . Not much use when a community needs to pull together

I think what people found amusing was the posts going from one to another here

Fair play to you for your honesty

And my grudge is based on the same thing as yours, people not really involved in RCC took it over and elbowed better people out of the way. So your point is... I have a grudge while yours is just an issue?

You seem to believe that going to the agm will change things. Off you go, you won't get two feet into the room before they charm you out of opposition or block your support.

Emails addresses in the public domain that are obviously activily used for official RCC business....... And the word you used refers to female form in my dictionary

Pretty much zones down who you have a problem with on RCC.

I see you have met.

And my grudge is based on the same thing as yours, people not really involved in RCC took it over and elbowed better people out of the way. So your point is... I have a grudge while yours is just an issue? .
    Dont be telling me what I have or have not got with RCC.
    I think you have a grudge which is personal while I have many isues in the town I have no issue with someone who goes to AGM and gets elected. When I do have an issue I wont hide behind a "name" or "handle" on here I will try and make my feeling or point known to someone involved. The easy option is to stay away and critise them. People got on board this issue and were elected to a sub committee or the Re-route campaign. There would not have been enough people on the CC to handle this issue because WE locals, Rush people, didnt bother going to A.G.Ms for years. And in fairness to a few of them they have been nothing short of super human in their efforts through Tidy towns, Harbour festival and trying to get others involved.
    You seem to believe that going to the agm will change things. Off you go, you won't get two feet into the room before they charm you out of opposition or block your support.
    I believe the only way to challenge any of these people if you or I have an issue is to go to an A.G.M and say what you have to say. They cant stop you or me voicing an opinion and I dont think anyone at the top table would once your points are well made and not a personal attack. I have been to A.G.M where serious issues have been dealth with and voiced an opinion which often differs to someone else. Arguments have ensued but most people move on and if they dont well the problem is theirs not mine. I could not give a fcuk what any member of the council thinks of my opinion.

To go back to a previous point made about meetings taking place outside the C.C. I have spoke to a few people and from experience this is not unusual in any club where a topic that could be contencious a committee member would seek opinion or support to either garner support or test the waters before it goes to a full committee where issues often bog down a meeting. I have often phoned someone for an opinion and been shot down so then I could go off and modify a proposal before the meeting.

Anyway I have asked a few people during the week about the response and while I have heard nothing from Rush CC the most common views were "time move on", "its over" "dead in the water" and a few not so nice comments not for repeating here

Looking at this whole thing Eirgrid, Re route Eirgrid and Rush CC as numerous people have agreed there is a severe lack of communication.

We have lost our Garda Station, A.I.B pulling out in a few weeks and god knows what is to follow. Serious assualts, armed robberies, house break-ins, serious underage drink problem and I believe a drug problem. How are these issues to be tackled alongside a campaign like the re-route Eirgrid campaign. Yes the eyes have been taken off the ball ok and if WE all sit back and let others who might value your experience or mine plough ahead with little support or no structured campaign I really fear for our future unless more get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@MaurMaurMaur - Leave your personal grudges out of this forum. If you have an issue with someone on RCC - take it up with them directly.

Do not abuse your posting privileges on this forum to publicly slag them off or call them names under an 'anonymous' internet moniker.

If you do so - your posting privileges may be removed.

tHB

Remain Calm
    and
    Carry On

There is nothing to fear

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1023/breaking61.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

You have to laugh, really, after all the debate, tests, Court Cases etc,

work is halted bacause of..........'' interferance with the phone lines''

Who would have thought, burying a cable under the main st, filling it with electricity, would cause interference on a phone line.......

.......... well any child would probably have thought of that one.....

Advertisement