Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for child minder

Options
  • 01-08-2012 11:56am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my wife are meeting a child minder tonight to look after our little lad when my wife goes back to work.

What kind of questions should we be asking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

godtabh wrote: »
    Myself and my wife are meeting a child minder tonight to look after our little lad when my wife goes back to work.

What kind of questions should we be asking?

So in her house?
    If so ask about house - who else there , other children, animals etc etc

Sample of daily routine - I.e u want to know the child will be played with and brought to park etc not stick in front of tv.

First aid training?

Food provided by u or her?

Hiw she disciplines a child - if differs from ur way will she do your way?

Any smokers in house?

How much?!

If baby sick can he still attend - I.e with minor but contagious eye infection such as conjunctivitis which is really common amongst kids and crèches won't let them attend with it.

What will she feed him if she supplies?

Depending on age - need to provide steriliser or not?

Likes and dislikes of job ( so that u can learn a bit mOre about her character)

Rules that apply within the house?

Ratio of adult to babies?

Flexibility with times if you want the extra odd day etc?

Do u have to pay whilst u on hols and child not attending?

What she would do if ur child had an accident ?

That's all I can think of at the min - just hired a nanny :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is she registered and insured?
    Does her car insurance cover carrying your child(if she will need to)
    Does she have any qualifications?

http://www.childminding.ie/
    See the Parents section in green on the right?
    There is some help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

how likely childminder is to need days/hours off and how much notice she will give you (for eg to take her own kids'possibly elderly parents for docs apps, fgunerals dentist etc

will she ever leave child in someone else s care even for any lenght of time ?

If child minder takes time off then would she expect payment

If you dont giv echild for any reason do you have to pay, holidays christmas, easter midterms etc

does she expect to be able to drive child in her car for any reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Probably too late now but this was on a helpful document that I got from our local childcare committee in relation to visiting a childminders house for the first time. Might help someone else anyway.

Allow sufficient time to spend with the Childminder. Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of
    questions. Bringing your child and or partner can be helpful but additional time may be
    required to have a thorough discussion with the Childminder.

Childminder’s experience & training

How long has she being childminding? Is the atmosphere warm, caring and friendly?

Has the Childminder completed childcare training eg First Aid, child development etc.

Ask for a copy of their references.

What are the number and ages of her own children? Are there other people living in
    the house?
    Find out if the Childminder cares for other people’s children, their ages and
    approximate childcare routines, school drop offs / pick ups etc

What is your initial impression of the Childminder? Does she display a genuine
    interest in children? Remember the Childminder may be as nervous as you are.
    Ascertain that the Childminder is someone you can discuss issues with in an open
    communicative manner

Home environment

Is this a child friendly environment and are there plenty of toys available? The home
    does not have to be spick and span, but should look like a place that your child would
    be happy in. Is the Childminder’s home smoking or not?
    Are all general safety measures in place? eg low level windows and patio doors
    protected, stair gates, socket covers etc.
    View the rooms likely to be used during the childminding day, if your child needs to
    have a nappy changed or rest during the day view these facilities.
    View the outdoor play area and satisfy yourself that the home is a suitable stimulating
    and safe environment for your child.
    Is there any specific childcare equipment required, eg. cots, high chairs, care seats,
    fire guards etc?
    Is there adequate fire safety precautions in place?

Quality care for your child

Childminders should have written policies and procedures for their childminding
    service, ask to see a copy.
    Discuss the activities and plan of care offered by the Childminder.
    Discuss the Childminder’s policy on healthy eating. Will the Childminder be providing
    meals, snacks, treats etc.
    Discuss your child’s routine regarding sleep and feeding patterns. Ask the
    Childminder if she has an emergency back up person or alternative person available
    if she is sick or on holiday.
    Discuss the childminders policy on behaviour management.

Will the Childminder be bringing minded children on outings or trips?
    Is the Childminder insured? Does this extend to the use of the car for outings and
    trips?
    What arrangements would be made in the case of a medical emergency?

Your childcare needs

Be clear about your own childcare requirements, dates, drop off and collection times,
    building in a realistic time for you to travel to and from work etc. Can the Childminder
    meet these needs?
    Do you require preschool / school drop off or collection?
    Who will provide food, nappies & toiletries etc?
    What are the fees?
    Discuss any specific dietary or medical requirements your child may have with the
    Childminder.
    Let the Childminder know if your child has attended a childcare service previously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement