Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD Graduate Makes Unconventional CV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The amount of begrudgery in this thread tells me this guy will go far :D
    I'd certainly hire this guy if I wanted any sort of multimedia presentations put together. I'd also imagine anyone involved in promotion or advertising would be falling over themselves to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The amount of begrudgery in this thread tells me this guy will go far :D

Criticism and begrudgery. Not the same thing.
    I'd certainly hire this guy if I wanted any sort of multimedia presentations put together. I'd also imagine anyone involved in promotion or advertising would be falling over themselves to have him.

Would you really? Even when it's been pointed out that the thing is robbed from a TV show (including some of the images used!)

He's essentially just cut and paste his own text onto someone else's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He can kiss goodbye to a financial services job ever again

Nobody wants an employee who doesn't give a damn

Fair enough if he wants to do something new but you don't turn around and say you were bored in the last job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Sea Filly wrote: »
    He did kill animals. :confused: And even if he didn't, what you say only backs up how ill-prepared he was, because he didn't know what was ok to eat.

The word 'protagonist' can refer to real life figures too. Look it up. And you say I'm ill-informed?

I said he didn't like killing animals, not that he didn't kill animals. What I say shows that he did prepare but had the wrong information. You watched a film and didn't like it so you're abusing a dead kid who died in an awful way. I read the book and I'm confident at this stage in saying you are ill informed. You're being bad minded tbh.
    The protagonist is a trope of storytelling. You're on the back foot when you're resorting to dictionary definitions. But OK, why not.

A protagonist (from the Greek πρωταγωνιστής protagonistes, "one who plays the first part, chief actor"[1]) is the main character (the central or primary personal figure) of a literary, theatrical, cinematic, or musical narrative, which ends up in conflict because of the antagonist and with whom the audience is intended to most identify.

pro·tag·o·nist
       [proh-tag-uh-nist] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the leading character, hero, or heroine of a drama or other literary work.

2. a proponent for or advocate of a political cause, social program, etc.

3. the leader or principal person in a movement, cause, etc.

4. the first actor in ancient Greek drama, who played not only the main role, but also other roles when the main character was offstage. Compare deuteragonist, tritagonist.

Hands up who doesn't give a f*ck about Into the Wild?

|
    |O
    .||
    / \

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Shryke wrote: »
    I said he didn't like killing animals, not that he didn't kill animals. What I say shows that he did prepare but had the wrong information. You watched a film and didn't like it so you're abusing a dead kid who died in an awful way.

I've also read about him. It was his own fault he died. He pretty much died of stupidity.

Let's move on, shall we?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hands up who doesn't give a f*ck about Into the Wild?

|
    |O
    .||
    / \

|
    |O
    .||
    / \
    For what it's worth. I don't mean to de-rail.

I don't give much of a fcuk about empty slideshows either.

Good point.

For the record I've just realised how hard it is to draw stickmen properly on boards. Damn alignment! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

|
    |O
    .||
    / \
    For what it's worth. I don't mean to de-rail.

So why are you in this thread???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Good point.

For the record I've just realised how hard it is to draw stickmen properly on boards. Damn alignment! :mad:

You know what you need ? You need a 'creative' to help you drawing stick men.

Hmmm....now I wonder where you might find one of those ??
    I fear we may never know:(

I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm Proxy. I didn't mean to shock you or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

McCandless was a knob, I've read about him, not his book but how he went out into the wilderness with NO clue about how to survive there. Well, "wilderness" but actually really close to a highway. And he still died. Knob. Why this person was considered a hero, I'll never know. I've seen the film, which is based on the book, and wishes to paint him in a heroic positive light. FAIL.

He actually didn't. He caught animals but didn't know what to do with them. He starved to death near an Alaskan highway in Summer.

It wasn't near a highway. It was a 3 day hike into the wilderness of Denali park. It doesn't look far from a road on the map but when you look at the terrain its far enough. also the reason he couldn't get back was because the river that was shallow enough to cross on the way in, was too rough to cross when he tried to return.
    Summer in Alaska isn't cold.

The film was supposed to be sympathetic but it didn't come across that way for me at all. Why? Because the protagonist was a self-indulgent, foolhardy, self-righteous eejit.

I'll never understand the admiration some people have for him.

Alaska is cold enough in August. And when you are starving, have no food / energy you feel the cold even more. Meh.

Aaaaaaand back on topic...

The slideshow is nice but its not original. Why the viral status? :rolleyes:

You know what you need ? You need a 'creative' to help you drawing stick men.

Hmmm....now I wonder where you might find one of those ??

Dole queue?

Skinfull wrote: »
    It wasn't near a highway. It was a 3 day hike into the wilderness of Denali park. It doesn't look far from a road on the map but when you look at the terrain its far enough. also the reason he couldn't get back was because the river that was shallow enough to cross on the way in, was too rough to cross when he tried to return.

So, what was an inexperienced person doing there?
    Skinfull wrote: »
    Alaska is cold enough in August. And when you are starving, have no food / energy you feel the cold even more. Meh.

Where he was would comfortably reach mid-20s in summer. Continental climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How in the f*ck did Into The Wild come into this thread? I don't understand at all :confused: Insanity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dole queue?

No you might need someone with a background in accounting I feel. They'd be good with locating 0's and ,'s in the right places :)

Dave! wrote: »
    How in the f*ck did Into The Wild come into this thread? I don't understand at all :confused: Insanity

It's the beauty of AH.

Start off talking about some lad getting out there with a different CV
    Get confused in the middle
    End up bitching about some lad getting out there and dying in Alaska

"It's the circle of life! THE CIRCLE OF LIFE!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

"I am currently free of any STDs since May, but now I might need another test"

I think Sea Filly likes having the last word.. let it die. Remember the stick man? That was cool. Hang on...

O
    -
    ---
    -

An erection, see? And still better than talking about a slideshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

So, what was an inexperienced person doing there?

Being an idiot. I'm not defending what he did, I think he was a selfish ass. I'm just saying its a hell of a hike to that fookin bus.
    Where he was would comfortably reach mid-20s in summer. Continental climate.

Not really, not in Denali which is about 20Kft above sea level at it highest peak. Gets bitch cold up there and like I said, the fact that he was starved and weak and as ye all pointed out, ill equipped, he really would have felt the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

Fairly creative but that guy has nothing on Mark Corrigan, employee extraordinaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I'm all for a little enthusiasm but jobs must be given on merit and genuine ability to the right person, not someone who produces a montage of fluffy pictures about themselves and expects employers to suddenly start falling at his feet

Dave! wrote: »

I made a throwaway comment referencing yer man from it, and someone took the hump. And, as this is a discussion board, we're all like dogs with bones. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Remember it's not part of a design student's portfolio, it's someone from a business and accountancy background using what seems to be a creative approach to changing career paths.

but you see, that is the problem. He will be working with designers if he's looking to get involved with social media marketing. So, coming from an accountant trying to tell a designer what something should look like because 'he thinks' it looks better that way always spells disaster. I've met wannabe creative directors in suits with degrees in bio-science! If you have the gift of the gab and peoples skills it can sometimes work, but only gets the chancers so far.

to me, all i see - social media morketing is a buzzy word now, this digital boom, everyone including the cat wants some of the cake - "oh this could make money" lol

take note

http://youtu.be/u6gZ4vk_Tw4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Not a patch on this:

But as someone said above, I thought that was extremely light on details and, tbh, not very creative. Design students have been doing it better for much longer.

apparently stolen pics and very light on actual content

no thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

People who work in PR, marketing and advertising love thinking they're doing something worthwhile.

They call themselves 'creatives' when they're making ads and they call the ads 'films'.

:rolleyes:

they dont make the ads.

check out chris cunningham or david lachappelle for some serious ads that would be akin to film production and concept wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

He wasn't a knob which you would know if you had read the book. He more than likely did know how to survive. There was a certain root that was noted as edible in the materials he had but which was actually poisonous. He died a horrible death concurrent with what you would expect from ingesting it and there was evidence that he had been eating these roots.
    He was naive sure but he was just a kid. Young and idealistic and smart. He never made himself out to be a hero. If you want to find fault there then look toward the film makers.
    I'll never understand the mindless repulsion some people display for the guy.

He died of starvation, not poisoning.

As for the CV. If you have to describe a course you went on as prestigious, its not actually that prestigious. These things don't need to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

He wasn't a knob which you would know if you had read the book. He more than likely did know how to survive. There was a certain root that was noted as edible in the materials he had but which was actually poisonous. He died a horrible death concurrent with what you would expect from ingesting it and there was evidence that he had been eating these roots.
    He was naive sure but he was just a kid. Young and idealistic and smart. He never made himself out to be a hero. If you want to find fault there then look toward the film makers.
    I'll never understand the mindless repulsion some people display for the guy.

from wiki:

The most charitable view among McCandless's detractors is that his behavior showed a profound lack of common sense. He chose not to bring a compass, something that most people in the same situation would have considered essential. McCandless was also completely unaware that a hand-operated tram crossed the otherwise impassable river a quarter mile from where he attempted to cross. Had McCandless known this, he could easily have saved his own life.[3] Additionally, there were cabins stocked with emergency supplies within a few miles of the bus, although they had been vandalized and all the supplies were spoiled. There has been some speculation (particularly in details given in the Lamothe documentary) that the vandalism may have been done by McCandless himself; however, Ken Kehrer, chief ranger for Denali National Park, denied that McCandless was considered a vandalism suspect by the National Park Service.[11] His venture into a wilderness area alone, without adequate planning, experience, preparation, or supplies, without notifying anyone and lacking emergency communication equipment, was contrary to every principle of outdoor survival and, in the eyes of many experienced outdoor enthusiasts, nearly certain to end in misfortune.
    Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote:
    When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [... ] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide. Retrieved August 26, 2007.

• Meh. It's really not that great or that original. I agree with those who said it has no content. Anyone can make a series of statements like 'I'm really creative' without backing them up.

• Advertisement

they dont make the ads.

check out chris cunningham or david lachappelle for some serious ads that would be akin to film production and concept wise

Oh yeah I know they don't make the ads. But they still refer to themselves as 'creatives' and the ads as 'films'.

They just come up with the concept and then get the talented people to actually make it work.

Believe me, I've dealt with enough of these gobsh*tes to know the vast majority of them if left alone with a camera and a script would just end up with a very expensive paperweight.

Also, isn't it about time this thread moved on to other Sean Penn directed films? I didn't think the Indian Runner was that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Meh. It's really not that great or that original. I agree with those who said it has no content. Anyone can make a series of statements like 'I'm really creative' without backing them up.

creative accountancy! yea theres a lot of spoofers particularly in this country.
    i'd even go as far to disagree that Steve Jobs was a creative genius. The other Steve did all the genius work. It's like me saying, "oh i've got a great idea, lets design a space rocket that can get one to mars and back within 2 months" turns to the engineer/designer "ok, can you do that for me?" designer/engineer looks at napkin scribble trying to decipher the handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I'm 35 and looking at what he's achieved at his age already(26) makes me very depressed. icon9.gif

Advertisement