Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the name of this group???

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Ok, this is probably a long shot but one day(6th/7th July) during the Volvo ocean race there was a group playing outside the Townhouse bar. It was three guys, playing funky Americana/Mexicana type music. Meant to take note of their name but got distracted. Does anyone recall them or their name??? One of the guys was wearing Aviator glasses and had sideburns, if thats any help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sounds like Mikey and the Scallywags..

Excellent musicians, but poor chess players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's more than 3 in the Scallywags and don't know if I'd call their music Americana? Could have been a few of them though. Mikey has giant 'nerd' glasses, not aviator ones:p

There was 3 American lads here for Volvo though who were great, think they were from California. One of them did have funny glasses come to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fine. Having googled aviator glasses, I withdraw my suggestion. I was thinking more of aviation goggles.

boy_wearing_aviator_goggles_fan2003675.jpg

Although I would describe them as Americana, and there are fantastic sideburns. And they don't always play together...

Hmm.. I shall refrain from withdrawing my suggestion just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scallywags

Ficheall wrote: »
    Fine. Having googled aviator glasses, I withdraw my suggestion. I was thinking more of aviation goggles.

boy_wearing_aviator_goggles_fan2003675.jpg

Although I would describe them as Americana, and there are fantastic sideburns. And they don't always play together...

Hmm.. I shall refrain from withdrawing my suggestion just yet.

Yes. Sideburns indeed I suppose. These are the glasses in question I believe. Where's Waldo? :D007.JPG

Oops sorry for huge image

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is Americana like Bluegrass? If so, what's the actual difference?

kraggy wrote: »
    Is Americana like Bluegrass? If so, what's the actual difference?

Wiki says:
    Americana is an amalgam of roots musics formed by the confluence of the shared and varied traditions that make up the American musical ethos; specifically those sounds that are merged from folk, country, blues, rhythm and blues, rock and roll and other external influential styles such as bluegrass. Americana is popularly referred to, especially in print, as alternative country, alt-country or sometimes alt. country.

I'd think of Americana as more ballady too. Bluegrass is quite specific to me plinky plonky and yee haa. Very precise musical terms I know :p
    There's definitely a crossover, but I hear them as different, others might disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VengeanceOf78

I would say it was the Converse Allstars if they were playing outside the Townhouse.

Advertisement