Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly Businesses

• 01-08-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

Mountain Warehouse in the Blanchardstown Centre (Westend) has a sign in their window to say they allow dogs in to their shop.

www.mountainwarehouse.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Didn't know there was a mountain warehouse left, the one near us had to close.. I live in their fleeces, they do great deals on outdoor wear perfect place for dog owners who like to spend a lot of time outdoors, really good value too. Nice to hear they are dog friendly in there. Makes a change from all those no dogs allowed signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Didn't know there was a mountain warehouse left, the one near us had to close.. I live in their fleeces, they do great deals on outdoor wear perfect place for dog owners who like to spend a lot of time outdoors, really good value too. Nice to hear they are dog friendly in there. Makes a change from all those no dogs allowed signs.

If you do go to this shop, have a look out for the sticker on the door - it seems to be a corporate one issued by head office.

BTW, I don't think this shop is open that long, maybe less then a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Class I have a voucher for the pet shop so will take a look in here too :D

tk123 wrote: »

Will businesses ever see that it pays to be dog friendly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Irish rail are very (small/medium) dog freindly.

I have often walked into town and gotten the train home with the dog.

• Advertisement

Irish rail are very (small/medium) dog freindly.

I have often walked into town and gotten the train home with the dog.

The pizza place in drumcondra also don't mind a dog sitting in while you wait for a slice!!! : )

Will businesses ever see that it pays to be dog friendly?

I not sure it does. Way more people are indifferent to or don't like dogs, than like them.

I think its a good idea for business's to do that. Take the dog out for a walk and do a bit of shopping at the same time.

The pizza place in drumcondra also don't mind a dog sitting in while you wait for a slice!!! : )

A god why did you tell me this!!..eh which one is it? ;)

Anyhoos the staff in mountain warehouse will be confused when we all stroll in over the weekend lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Must give them some
    Business! Where is the Mountain fabulous fleece place based?

I found when my dog was cute & small & a puppy we got in lodes of places ! Once she grew up & was too heavy to hide under my coat or carry it was ( mostly!) game over !

Pet shops are very welcoming : )
    And Gibneys beer garden if it's early afternoon before the glasses start being broken :0

• Advertisement

Must give them some
    Business! Where is the Mountain fabulous fleece place based?

Westend in blanchardstown! Oh I hope they have some good gloves for winter walking lol! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was in the No Name Bar beer garden on Fade Street one afternoon and there was a lady there with a small dog. Not sure how they'd be with bigger dogs though!

I not sure it does. Way more people are indifferent to or don't like dogs, than like them.

Are you saying it is bad for business to be dog friendly?

Are you saying it is bad for business to be dog friendly?

Potentially. Many people do not like dogs.

I think many businesses would suffer if they allowed dogs complete access to their stores.

In some situations it suits me to be allowed bring the dog into a shop. Such as getting a cup of coffee if I've been walking in the hills but in most it doesn't. In most shops / businesses the presence of a dog would be inappropriate.

I like dogs, but if people were allowed bring their dogs around superquinn, I don't think I would shop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Was in Woodies in Bray (Southern Cross) yesterday and there were 2 dog in the store on leads. Apparently they have no problem with dogs.

Saw a dog (4 legged) coming out of a ladies clothes shop in Carlingford recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

brought my boyfriends Pug into 3FE at Twisted Pepper before during the day. he asked the staff first and we sat having a coffee with him:)

gonna go in there with my cavvie king charles this week:):cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think so long as it's not a food shop & not in a big mega-place ( b.town/Dundrum etc)
    A fair few places are reasonable so long as you want to step in quickly & pick up something . Privately owned stores are quite good for this mostly as owners are often working there & can see the value of the transaction/sale versus a well behaved drydog let in for three or four minutes. Of course if you've someone with you it more reasonable to let them stay outside with the dog. BUT!!! I see where the problem lies with ( sorry about this) male dogs. They p everywhere ; worse than that theydont P because they have to go, they P because they want to say yheywere there!!!! I've had 3 dogs ( male) P in my house with their owners there & now there not let in... You couldn't be having that in shops.
    Maybe Girl dogs yes but a ban on the boys !! ( sorry boys!)

Maybe Girl dogs yes but a ban on the boys !! ( sorry boys!)

Eh but not all male dogs are markers!? :rolleyes: And if dogs keep peeing in your house maybe you need a better cleaning product! :p

Thought I'd update in case anyone was wondering about MW... Finally got around to heading over to pet stop in blanch at the weekend so dropped into MW - they have a sticker of a dog in the window so I decided to chance it and went in.. The staff didn't bat an eyelid and they have a sale on!! I was planning on heading down to tog 24 in Kildare for some fleeces and got everything I wanted in MW so delighted. I'll def be going back but without Bailey - typical boy got bored shopping! :) At one stage he saw his reflexion in the mirror and started wagging his tail and tried to sniff noses with it lol!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Thought I'd update in case anyone was wondering about MW... Finally got around to heading over to pet stop in blanch at the weekend so dropped into MW - they have a sticker of a dog in the window so I decided to chance it and went in.. The staff didn't bat an eyelid and they have a sale on!! I was planning on heading down to tog 24 in Kildare for some fleeces and got everything I wanted in MW so delighted. I'll def be going back but without Bailey - typical boy got bored shopping! :)At one stage he saw his reflexion in the mirror and started wagging his tail and tried to sniff noses with it lol!! :D

Totally unrelated to the OP but Benson always thinks the ceramic guide dog in the vets is real (you know the one with the slot for donating coins in?)..He always tries to interact with it and play bows to it to get a reaction!

• Advertisement

[/B]

Totally unrelated to the OP but Benson always thinks the ceramic guide dog in the vets is real (you know the one with the slot for donating coins in?)..He always tries to interact with it and play bows to it to get a reaction!

Yeah Bailey did that at a class one time to a teddy GSD lol! :D He'd been restricted for months and the class was where he goes to daycare so he must have thought it was playtime lol! :pac:

I always bring my dogs to Boojum in the Italian Quarter in dublin city. The people there are so lovely :) (and so are the burritos mmm):o

Also the Grand Social are cool with my King Charles. I just got my bf to ask was it okay first.:)

Dog UNfriendly Business Alert!

On a cold November morning I tied my dog up in an empty outdoor area of The Village Cafe in Rathmines. There was no one sitting in this area and there was unlikely to be anyone. except maybe a hardened smoker, as it was bitterly cold.

I went in and as I took my seat I was greeted by a friendly waiter. As the menu was handed to me there was a change in manner when he saw my (little fluffy) dog. I was told I couldn't have the dog in this area.

I said ok and left.

Very surprised that cafe's can afford to turn away 2 paying customers in this economy.

BTW, in Hobarts and also Door51 (Ranelagh) the dog is given a bowl of water and sometimes a sausage from time to time. What a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

trad wrote: »
    Was in Woodies in Bray (Southern Cross) yesterday and there were 2 dog in the store on leads. Apparently they have no problem with dogs.

Woodies are grand with dogs (they have a pet section so I suppose they see it as helping business). I've seen people putting bigger dogs into their shopping trolleys and bringing them in to the Bray one!

I've never had a problem bringing my boy in with me to banks or post offices or anything (he's even gone to down to welfare a few times). I've also found that most cafes don't mind your doggy as long as you sit outside- and the good ones will bring out some water. We've also been brought out doggy treats a handful of times!

Anywhere with food or children I find you have to be careful though. The last thing a business want is another customer complaining about your woof. That said. my local Costcutter and Tesco Express know my boy by name!

Dog UNfriendly Business Alert!

On a cold November morning I tied my dog up in an empty outdoor area of The Village Cafe in Rathmines. There was no one sitting in this area and there was unlikely to be anyone. except maybe a hardened smoker, as it was bitterly cold.

I went in and as I took my seat I was greeted by a friendly waiter. As the menu was handed to me there was a change in manner when he saw my (little fluffy) dog. I was told I couldn't have the dog in this area.

I said ok and left.

Very surprised that cafe's can afford to turn away 2 paying customers in this economy.

BTW, in Hobarts and also Door51 (Ranelagh) the dog is given a bowl of water and sometimes a sausage from time to time. What a difference!

Maybe they weren't comfortable with your dog being left unattended outside in the cold while you sat inside?

Maybe they weren't comfortable with your dog being left unattended outside in the cold while you sat inside?

:)

No we weren't offered to option to seat out with our dog - he just wasn't welcome there at all :-(

Bubblefett wrote: »
    Woodies are grand with dogs (they have a pet section so I suppose they see it as helping business). I've seen people putting bigger dogs into their shopping trolleys and bringing them in to the Bray one!

I've never had a problem bringing my boy in with me to banks or post offices or anything (he's even gone to down to welfare a few times). I've also found that most cafes don't mind your doggy as long as you sit outside- and the good ones will bring out some water. We've also been brought out doggy treats a handful of times!

Anywhere with food or children I find you have to be careful though. The last thing a business want is another customer complaining about your woof. That said. my local Costcutter and Tesco Express know my boy by name!

Yes I bring my dog in to the post office and banks with no issues.

Personally I think it is common sense that dogs are allowed in cafes once they sit outside.

:)

No we weren't offered to option to seat out with our dog - he just wasn't welcome there at all :-(

:( well that's a pile of crap - especially if there was nobody else there!?!
    I'll chance taking my boy into the post office this week and see what happens - I was just saying how much handier it'd be if he could come!! The excitement lol!! :D. I brought him into the Garda station one evening to get a form stamped for the car - he put his paws up on the counter and they opened the window and were leaning out petting him lol!! Also I took him in with me to vote the other week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Two places in Cork that I know from experience allow dogs outside are Blackrock Castle in Mahon and Bramley Lodge in Carrigtwohill. They both have very spacious outdoor areas so plenty of room for big dogs. Lovely places to eat, too.

Last time I was in Bramley Lodge I finished my lunch and thought I'd nip in to pay while leaving the dogs still tied to the table (they were just outside the door and I could see them the whole time). While I was queuing up I glanced outside just in time to see Henry standing up on the chair with his front legs on the table, cleaning off my plate! :o I'll pop them back in the car next time. :rolleyes:

Advertisement