Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Cinema

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

The cinema in Navan needs a decent update, but seems to be holding back on doing anything as it waits to see if the other new cinema out at the homebase retail park gets the go ahead from it appeal and starts building.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/12/02/4007982-new-navan-cinema-project-given-green-light/

It got the green light but seems to have been stopped by objection from the shopping centre. (correct me if i am wrong)

I have no connection to either side... just a cinema goer who wants a cinema to go to that is modern and up to date. Therefore, i have been going to the new cinema over in ashbourne for the past couple of years... and so have a few other parents and couples i know here.

What slowly drove me mad about the navan cinema that is currently there is a good few things...

The ticket prices went a bit mad there for a while (but have come back down since in fairness).

A while back, on a few Saturday kids morning showings, i saw staff bringing black bags of popcorn out of a backroom and emptying them into the popcorn makers for serving to the kids. (im presuming popcorn from the previous night that was not sold and to be honest one bite of the same confirmed! :D)

Another was a film i went to with my other half a while back - people actually saw boom mics and set piece backs and crew in the film... people laughed it off - but after a while it got unwatchable and a few people went to complain to the lady manager (especially at the end of the film) who just stated it was an unfinished edit the studio sent them by mistake and there was nothing she could do.

My son went with a few friends and their mom to see Captain America a while back and when i picked them up they said people got up to complain that the sound system was "hissing" and had interference that caused quiet scenes in the film not to be heard by the audience. One father in there seemed to have lost it with staff after paying big money to bring his four kids.

A few other things have cropped up too in other films i and others i know have gone to see there, - Mainly others as i wont pay money to go in there anymore, my son normally comes home after seeing a film with his mates and normally gives out about the broken seats or the sound in the film.
    It just points to a cinema that is holding off on updating or doing anything to better itself until they know their fate with this impending new cinema coming to Navan.

Does anyone else go to the other cinemas around instead of going to the Navan one for similar reasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I stopped going to navan cinema after the last two films I watched there were either out of focus for the first 20 mins or during watchmen the film kept on breaking turning a long film in to a mega long film with not even a sorry from the cinema ....its now either ashbourne or the king of all cinemas blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I only went there once and there was an awful smell in the cinema! I never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Last time we went the air con was off, it was roasting, and got that smell too, been going to Ashbourne since it opened, doubt I'd go back to Navan now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Only went there once and never again. Worst cinema in the world. The que to buy tickets complete joke and the smell in there is unreal, am convinced there a few dead bodies buried in there. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Stopped going myself. Last few times have gone to Ashbourne or Blanchardstown. Anyone know what is holding up the new cinema? Last year they were talking about possibly having it open for Summer 2012. No sign of work to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Only good enough for kids movies.

Reminds me of what cinema used to be like in the 70's, even down to the same stale popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Last film i saw there was Borat and they projected the subtitles beneath the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I haven't been in that cinema in donkeys now at this stage. It was terrible then, so i can imagine how bad it is now.

I agree with a poster above probably only suitable for kids movies, its not worth the money when you have Blanch up the road and Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Nice to see im not the only one ranting so! :p

I think it seems to be a catch 22 situation... the site for the new cinema is the first site in the retail park (homebase) that is boarded up as you drive in. the shopping centre seem to be against the new cinema opening as it will take a lot of business away from the town centre out to there.

And the owners of the present cinema dont seem to want to invest another penny in their premises until they know the outcome of the appeal.

So until a new shiny cinema arrives, i will be taking my business to blanch or ashbourne.

Access wrote: »
    Nice to see im not the only one ranting so! :p

I think it seems to be a catch 22 situation... the site for the new cinema is the first site in the retail park (homebase) that is boarded up as you drive in. the shopping centre seem to be against the new cinema opening as it will take a lot of business away from the town centre out to there.

And the owners of the present cinema dont seem to want to invest another penny in their premises until they know the outcome of the appeal.

So until a new shiny cinema arrives, i will be taking my business to blanch or ashbourne.

But the owners of the shopping center own that retail park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

I know it wouldnt be the same as cinema, up to date films etc but Solstice Arts Cenrte have cinema club and show 4-5 films a season, better than cinema in navan!

After a bit of research it looks like most of the shopping center is in nama

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭donmaga1

iDave wrote: »
    Last film i saw there was Borat and they projected the subtitles beneath the screen

The last film I saw there was borat also.

I do to Dublin. The main reason is everything is in focus and the staff sre not rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Have been there once at the start of the year with my cousin's. Seems to be all over the shop. Queues forming all over the place for tickets, found the seats very uncomfortable and the picture quality wasn't particularly great either.

Certainly didn't leave a lasting impression... well, a good one anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

A shame to see Navan cinema turn out this way. It has turned into a right kip in recent years. I wouldn't be an avid cinema go-er but the last two times I have went were in Ashbourne and Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A terrible cinema. Firstly it's barely open. It opens in the afternoon, then closes, then opens again around 8. Most of the seating in the screens are sloped rather than stepped which means if a tall person is in front of you, you're f*cked. Last straw for me was when I went to see Scott Pilgrim when it was out. Was meant to start at 8:15. By 8:25 nothing had come up so I went to see what the story was. One of the guys there said he'd check. Few minutes later a pile of people came into our screen. Apparently they'd mixed the reels up and were showing Scott Pilgrim in another screen, the one we were in was meant to be for Grown-Ups.

So we switched screens, and missed the first 10 minutes of the film. Afterwards, I asked if we could get free tickets or anything for another showing of it seeing as how the fault was on their end. Was flatly told no. Not even "Sorry, we can't do that" or "I'll have to check with management but I don't think we're able to do that. We apologise though". Just "No."

Will I ever go back to that cinema?

"No."

Just spotted this on the MC website...

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/11/28/4013508-shock-as-navan-cinema-projects-shot-down/
    The shock refusal of planning permission for two separate cinema projects for Navan is robbing the town of millions of euro in investment and hundreds of jobs, it has been claimed.

An Bord Pleanala's decision on Monday to refuse the two planning applications for two new state-of-the-art multiplexes has been described as an "economic mugging" of the town by Cllr Shane Cassells, who said it was "a stunning anti-jobs decision".

An application by Flix Cinema and Leisure Ltd to develop a 10-screen cinema building with 1,918 seats, café and seating area at the Navan Retail Park on the Athboy Road, was refused by the planning appeals board on Monday.

Also refused was an application by Tymonview Ltd to construct a nine-screen cinema complex at the junction of the Navan Inner Relief Road and Ratholdren Road in Navan, which would also include a café, VIP meeting room, kids' party area and computer entertainment area.

Darren Corcoran of Flix Cinema and Leisure Ltd said they were absolutely shocked by the decision which, he pointed out, had the support of Meath County Council, the local community and the majority of businesses.

He said they had other options and they would be reviewing the decision at a board meeting later this week to decide whether to submit a new application for Navan.

However, Eamonn Duignan of Lexeme Ltd, one of these who objected to the Flix proposal, said he couldn't understand the reaction to the refusal, as the project was in breach of the county development plan.

So... thats me still going to Ashbourne or Blanch for movies! :D

Didnt know about the one up near Ratholdren road! - that would have been mad.

The county development plan seems to want to kill any chance of employment in Meath altogether and force people to commute on the likes of the M3 etc. Who came up with this plan? Can it not be adapted to the current situation?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I was very surprised reading about the planning refusals, and agree with the tone of the MC article in that this is very bad news for Navan and Meath in terms of lost revenue.

Living in Trim, I don't bother going to the cinema in Navan anymore for all the reasons mentioned by the other posters (poor facilities, not very clean, needs upgrading, ripped seats etc.). We now always go to either Blanch or Liffey Valley, and any other money we might spend before/after the cinema on food or anything else now also is spent in those shopping centres.

It's a shame, but these kind of ridiculous decisions will have a much wider impact in the likes of Navan than just the cinema revenues. Navan is a big town that deserves a proper, modern cinema, and the decisions to refuse planning just leaves a whole pile of business going elsewhere.

Trim is the same with the seemingly endless problems allowing a proper, decent size supermarket in our town. Sometimes the decision making in this little country of ours completely baffles me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cggreene

especially with the new moterway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

I am sick they did not build a new cinema in Navan. The old one is a dump with no 3d.People have to travel to Blanch just to see a movie.Last time I was there kids were running from one movie to the next and running around.A dump..People should stop going to the one up the town till they clean it up or we get a new one with a plex beside it.The population of Navan has gone up since all the dubs came down so we could have 2.Drogheda is building another one why cant we.

And a KFC so I do not need to travel to get some finger licking goodness.

Try Ashbourne, easier than Blanch and much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

bladespin wrote: »

100% agree, Bladespin. The staff in Ashbourne are always pleasent to deal with and the Cinemas are always spotless. Got some vouchers there as gifts for people for Christmas and for every 30e spent I got a free pass to a screening of my choice.
    I used to go to Navan all the time but the owners have let it go to the dogs something shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

A lot more expensive though, especially for popcorn etc - real rip off

but they do have good kids club deals, currently just 1 euro until 6th Jan

A lot more expensive though, especially for popcorn etc - real rip off

but they do have good kids club deals, currently just 1 euro until 6th Jan

TBH I didn't find their popcorn etc anymore expensive, that said I wouldn't buy that stuff in any cinema, better (and more fun) sneaking your own in ;)

Have never been to Ashbourne one, how is it better?

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Have never been to Ashbourne one, how is it better?

Loads of space, rarely have to queue, no rips on chairs, no sticky floor :mad: etc. etc. the list is long.

Loads of space, rarely have to queue, no rips on chairs, no sticky floor :mad: etc. etc. the list is long.

Sounds more like the one in Blanch.

The ashbourne cinema has less skangers than the blanch one. Bammm! :D

• Advertisement

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Sounds more like the one in Blanch.

Which, the Navan one? They're fairly similar but Blanch has a lot more to offer, Ashbourne is newer and a good bit better that either IMO.

Advertisement