Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Good news on the cinema. It seems they got planning permission to build on Dan Shaw road!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/03/05/4036167-planning-permission-granted-for-new-navan-cinema/

I'm still not sure about the location though and would have thought the retail park made better sense. This road already has big tailbacks where it meets the Trim Road, especially since they put in the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i wonder whose the backers of this cinema...?

and i aint sure of the location..more gridlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

It's not what you propose, it's who you are.

The only cinema that will be allowed in this town will be the one that there is a planning permission notice for on Carraige Road, between the Pitch & Putt Club and Beechmount Garden Centre. Fact.

I told ye so. But ABP will overturn the grant of permission on this site and it will end up across the road behind Lidl....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I told ye so. But ABP will overturn the grant of permission on this site and it will end up across the road behind Lidl....

I'd say you're on the money, that would be the remains of the old dog track, and guess who owned it ( before nama took control)?

Lack of transparency as usual... that retail park/white elephant on Athboy rd would have being perfect...but again, who knows whats happening behind the doors!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Im still not sure on the location? Is it in across from topaz distributer on trim road its ment to be going? Is this the same crowd that own the current cinema?

The only right place for this cinema is the retail park.

Access wrote: »
    Im still not sure on the location? Is it in across from topaz distributer on trim road its ment to be going? Is this the same crowd that own the current cinema?

The only right place for this cinema is the retail park.

No. It's proposed to go across the road from Beechmount Home park on the Dan Shaw Road coming down to Bird's Supervalu.

The proposers are not a cinema company. They are a property development company linked to the proposed development of a much larger adjacent site into a Town Centre. Can't understand this 1200+ seat complex being approved with the small number of parking spaces it proposed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm sure they'll have an eye on the old Navan steel site.

bladespin wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll have an eye on the old Navan steel site.

That's where the new Navan Town Centre South is to go, but they can't develop it yet. This cinema is a Trojan Horse to secure the permission granted on the S.C. Site, which is now running out of time...

i can just imagine total gridlock.. and not a peep out of the local councillors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

chrysagon wrote: »
    i can just imagine total gridlock.. and not a peep out of the local councillors...

That is very true... That proposed site has one road running along it that all traffic would have to access the cinema. And that road is choked with traffic most of the time.

The retail park site up at did and tk maxx has four roads leading from it and a motorway intersection too which would allow traffic to disapate very quickly.

Its very simple... Look at where the cinema is in Ashbourne and mullingar... Outside the town on a circular route with at least three route leading away from it. This is the way it should be done!

Is it near three years this thread is going on now and over those three years i have used Ashbourne cinema everytime i wanted to see a movie apart from a few times i went to blanch. Thats money gone from navan i would have spent here and on associated purchases too, be it food after or a bit of shopping etc.

Really beggars belief what positives can come out of putting a cinema in an area already very busy with traffic..we have already seen the poor planning around Navan, and yet it continues.

Yet post anything suggesting you're not overly happy about the council and you'll be dogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Bit off topic but I heard over the weekend that Homestore+More have been objected to in the retail park. :mad:

wouldnt surprise me at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

I see the third navan cinema project has been refused. i wonder which councillor is lining there own pockets with back handers to stop this. the town is a run down dump, poor parking, not much entertainment for families and kids. lets just waist loads of money on there new offices in the old quinn building

darrcow wrote: »
    I see the third navan cinema project has been refused.

Where was this reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

chewed wrote: »
    Where was this reported?

Something in the Chronicle about it. I haven't seen it just saw it mentioned on their FB.

it was a headline on the meath chronicle facebook page

For a town of Navans size, it offers little

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Now if only Diamond would invest a fraction of what this new cinema would've in modernising their cinema!

haro124 wrote:
    Now if only Diamond would invest a fraction of what this new cinema would've in modernising their cinema!

Why would they bother, pretty much have a monopoly on anyone who doesn't have easy transport access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Cinemas don't make money anymore anyway. Won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

chrysagon wrote: »
    For a town of Navans size, it offers little

If I wanted to see a film in the cinema, I'd either go Ashbourne or Dublin. I was in the Diamond cinema earlier this year for the first time in years and it has far from improved.

Its way too small for the surrounding population

I told ye so (again!). Standby for the next cinema p.p. application at the old dog track in retail park behind Lidl. This decision suits the developers perfectly well for their plan to redevelop the Carraige Road/Dan Shaw Road/Trim Road triangle in 2018, as this site was originally intended for development as the New Town Centre. Once that gets the green light, and the capital flow to develop it, the new cinema will be then started on the other side of the Trim Road....

As a side issue, I took the family to The Arc Cinema in Drogheda on the bank holiday Monday, very impressive facilities in Screen 1, excellent screen, plush carpets, and extremely courteous staff. And cheaper than Navan cinema as well. Made me see what could be done with the right investment for a town centre site.....

I told ye so (again!). Standby for the next cinema p.p. application at the old dog track in retail park behind Lidl. This decision suits the developers perfectly well for their plan to redevelop the Carraige Road/Dan Shaw Road/Trim Road triangle in 2018, as this site was originally intended for development as the New Town Centre. Once that gets the green light, and the capital flow to develop it, the new cinema will be then started on the other side of the Trim Road....

As a side issue, I took the family to The Arc Cinema in Drogheda on the bank holiday Monday, very impressive facilities in Screen 1, excellent screen, plush carpets, and extremely courteous staff. And cheaper than Navan cinema as well. Made me see what could be done with the right investment for a town centre site.....

The traffic lights at the garage (Trim rd/Dan Shaw rd) is a complete joke now! I was coming out of Lidl on Friday afternoon trying to turn left. If I had of waited for my turn, I could easily be there for 10 mins. Instead, I turned right, as did many other drivers, just to try and get out of the place. Adding a cinema here as well is just going to create more grid lock!

The planners aim seemly to to bring Navan to a standstill.. cinemas, shopping malls in middle of town is the plan seemly, all that will do is encourage folk to travel up to Blanch or Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

We have made a decision to move to Navan, Johnstown, but reading all of this and other stuff on Navan, I wonder was it the right decision to leave Blanch other then getting a bigger house for less.

Seems some dodgy decisions being made re the cinema. I always went to Odeon or Cineworld, which are fantastic cinemas, seems I will be going to see movies in a kip now or drive back to Blanch to see one.

Is there anything good to say about Navan?

@poncke if moving to johnstown and have kids of any age there is nothing for them to do not even a park. there are 3 parks ( swings and slides etc) in the town. the town has a lot of shops but nothing any different from most small town. The cinema is crap better driving to blanch or ashbourne. only a couple of decent restaurants everything else is very poor quality take aways. i nearly forgot there seems to be loads of hairdressers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Poncke wrote: »
    We have made a decision to move to Navan, Johnstown, but reading all of this and other stuff on Navan, I wonder was it the right decision to leave Blanch other then getting a bigger house for less.

Seems some dodgy decisions being made re the cinema. I always went to Odeon or Cineworld, which are fantastic cinemas, seems I will be going to see movies in a kip now or drive back to Blanch to see one.

Is there anything good to say about Navan?

Well as someone who lived in both Clonee and now Navan I much prefer the latter. You'll only see the worst of it if you base your opinion on boards, it's a nice town.

Advertisement