Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL St Patricks Athletic vs Hannover 96 2/8/2012 Tallaght

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From that video...28 months without a game for the first scorer..:eek:
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ....but they needed to be more direct for more of the game imo - a lot of aimless passing around between the back four and holding midfielder.

Pats do a lot of that

dfx- wrote: »

Pats do a lot of that

It's the passing philosophy the players and management believe in and stick to. They'd rather pass their way to goal rather lump it.

It can be frustrating at times with all the short corners, but i've grown used to it. In fact, i think tonight we put in more direct corners than the whole of this season combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Was the pitch tightened for the match earlier?

Was tightened by Rovers about a two weeks ago. Down to an American football game I believe.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's the passing philosophy the players and management believe in and stick to. They'd rather pass their way to goal rather lump it.

I'd argue that they're not passing their way to goal, they're passing it amongst the trio in the middle of the pitch halfway between their own d and the centre-circle.

I'd argue that they're not passing their way to goal, they're passing it amongst the trio in the middle of the pitch halfway between their own d and the centre-circle.

And that's when our full backs overlap to attack the space that's eventually available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just remembered now, but poor decision not to book the player for diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but I thought James Chambers had an absolutlely fantastic game. Best player on the pitch by a long way. Was a joy to watch his disritbution, positioning and ball retention. Wasn't one of Rovers best ideas letting him go.

Pat's were very unlucky to end up with that scoreline. Nerves were obviously getting the better of them from the start of the game, but when they started the second half they really went for Hannover.

I see alot of praise for Browne and Forrester, but I didn't see why. Browne wasted alot of ball throughout the game trying to hit long balls out to the wing, and seemed to think he was better than he was. He was also caught drifting a couple of times leaving a pass back to him stop dead for Hannover to pick up. While Forrester finished the game quite threating, I didn't think he offered much in the first half, with the main threat from the wing coming from the Full Backs.

I know i'll probably get slated for this, but last night showed that LOI teams and players are too honest. Forrester and Fagan had plenty of oppurtunities to go down in good positions but always choose to keep going which would result in the ball going back to Hannover. They should have had a peno in the first half for handball, as well as multiple bad fouls on them as a result of high foot tackles. I thought it was only in the last half hour that the ref decided to get involved with the Hannover players.

Overall, Pat's were unlucky. They played some fantastic ball in the second half and really deserved at least a draw. 1-1 would have been a far fairer result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wasn't one of Rovers best ideas letting him go.

Seems to have got a lot fitter and committed than he was at Rovers.

Think not making it in Scotland gave him a wake-up call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pats do a lot of that

It can be frustrating at times with all the short corners, but i've grown used to it. In fact, i think tonight we put in more direct corners than the imwhole of this season combined.
    Passing for the sake of passing is pointless. Pat's best spell came when they went a little longer into the channels and got it forward quicker. Their centre halves looked somewhat vulnerable to that approach as well imo. In the first half it helped to slow things down and keep things tight, but it should have been permenantlyabandoned from HT imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

EDIT: One of the three Hannover flags was, um, interesting to say the least.

One of the founder members of the club - and not anything that would be banned in Germany allegedly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

One of the founder members of the club - and not anything that would be banned in Germany allegedly :)

All I was wondering was why is he wearing a hat :p. Obviously knew it wasn't the guy everyone was thinking it was.

You believed that? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

You believed that? :)

Well, they get away with it in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cracking day out, dont think we deserved 3-0 but they took their chances, we didnt have many shots on target. Played some lovely football just they were better.....much much better.

German fans were good fun, we their little "pixie friends" now :D Do have to wonder what it takes to be a Gardai :confused: Held the germans back then when a few of them said they had to get onto the bus back to MCD let them all out :confused:

Seems rovers chairman was unhappy with the crests being covered "whinging about history or some ****". Should take it up with the landlord not the staff from pats.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cracking day out, dont think we deserved 3-0 but they took their chances, we didnt have many shots on target. Played some lovely football just they were better.....much much better.

German fans were good fun, we their little "pixie friends" now :D Do have to wonder what it takes to be a Gardai :confused: Held the germans back then when a few of them said they had to get onto the bus back to MCD let them all out :confused:

Seems rovers chairman was unhappy with the crests being covered "whinging about history or some ****". Should take it up with the landlord not the staff from pats.

Ha!! What a gob****e. What the council do with their own ground is nothing to do with Shams.

You asked the SDCC to cover them up. I don't think Hannover thought it was your ground. :)

Only a LOI club could turn a big European night against Bundesliga opposition into a spat about getting their rivals crest covered up.

On the LUAS to Tallaght there were a bunch of boozed up Pats fans engaging in a cheer about how the stadium is a council pitch. Seemed very small time to me tbh.

stovelid wrote: »
    You asked the SDCC to cover them up. I don't think Hannover thought it was your ground. :)

Only a LOI club could turn a big European night against Bundesliga opposition into a spat about getting their rivals crest covered up.

Didnt bother me, seemed to bother your club quite a lot tho. I only mentioned it because your chairman was very upset about it and should conduct himself a bit better.

Only issue i had with the crest covering up was my tape work could have been better. Few times i didnt get the line as straight as i wanted it.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391330_429700697069389_1798814370_n.jpg

• Advertisement

That's the way of the LOI innit.

Imagine Ireland playing a play-off over in Anfield against crack European opposition and the major consideration was scurrying around trying to tape over any Liverpool signs on show just in case the visiting giants thought it wasn't Ireland's ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

On the LUAS to Tallaght there were a bunch of boozed up Pats fans engaging in a cheer about how the stadium is a council pitch. Seemed very small time to me tbh.

oh the horror!

That's the way of the LOI innit.

Imagine Ireland playing a play-off over in Anfield against crack European opposition and the major consideration was scurrying around trying to tape over any Liverpool signs on show just in case the visiting giants thought it wasn't Ireland's ground.

Do you honestly think it was about fooling the opposition into thinking the council home was our place??

Nothing wrong with trying to make last night as much as a home match as possible, nothing wrong with volunteer work at all.

oh the horror!

Don't worry, I've been to football matches before - chants on a LUAS don't bother me. But this particular line of attack on Shams adopted by LOI fans is laughable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't worry, I've been to football matches before - chants on a LUAS don't bother me. But this particular line of attack on Shams adopted by LOI fans is laughable imo.

Why? It's fun.

I remember a few years ago the SDCC blocked them from using the stadium one weekend and Shams had to move a game against Sligo Rovers back to Tolka. That was funny.

It doesn't bother Rovers in any meaningful way to be fair.

Like any rovers fan in the right mind would want the club to either be forced to play out - and attract new fans to - some of the grounds in the league or even worse, have to try and upkeep - let alone improve - one with the income flows generated in the LOI.

Any club in the country with a shred of sense would rent into a decent municipal ground at the drop of a hat.

At least clubs like Sligo are trying to upgrade their grounds instead of sitting around making playground jokes about council grounds when their own stadiums are moving closer and closer to dereliction with every season that passes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I was in with the Hannover fans last night. There was a small group of shams fans (couple of them wearing Shams T-shirts) standing behind me who were only there to shout abuse at Pats players. We can all do small time..

Good performance from Pats, pity about the result. Chambers is ****ing deadly, reminded me a bit of Richie Ryan from two seasons ago, before teams started sticking two men on him.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We can all do small time...

Undoubtedly.

It doesn't bother Rovers in any meaningful way to be fair.

Like any rovers fan in the right mind would want the club to either be forced to play out - and attract new fans to - some of the grounds in the league or even worse, have to try and upkeep - let alone improve - one with the income flows generated in the LOI.

Any club in the country with a shred of sense would rent into a decent municipal ground at the drop of a hat.

At least clubs like Sligo are trying to upgrade their grounds instead of sitting around making playground jokes about council grounds when their own stadiums are moving closer and closer to dereliction with every season that passes.

That's basically what I'm driving at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

That's basically what I'm driving at...

Was there not something about Everton playing in Tesco being made a big joke of by LFC fans recently?

bohsman wrote: »
    Was there not something about Everton playing in Tesco being made a big joke of by LFC fans recently?

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/6170725.stm and yes, LFC fans took the piss as they have every right to do.

bohsman wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/6170725.stm and yes, LFC fans took the piss as they have every right to do.

We don't have any condemned stands in Anfield though Oscar! :)

We don't have any condemned stands in Anfield though Oscar! :)

Fans give abuse, plenty of obese people call Lampard fat, plenty of racists abuse Suarez, picking holes in their chants is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Didnt bother me, seemed to bother your club quite a lot tho. I only mentioned it because your chairman was very upset about it and should conduct himself a bit better.

Only issue i had with the crest covering up was my tape work could have been better. Few times i didnt get the line as straight as i wanted it.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391330_429700697069389_1798814370_n.jpg

You should have done the other side dreamers :p

20120803133024g.jpg

Credit to NY Hoop on SRFC Ultras Forum.

You should have done the other side dreamers :p

20120803133024g.jpg

Credit to NY Hoop on SRFC Ultras Forum.

Next year ;)

1st time and all :p

And that's when our full backs overlap to attack the space that's eventually available.
    Passing for the sake of passing is pointless. Pat's best spell came when they went a little longer into the channels and got it forward quicker. Their centre halves looked somewhat vulnerable to that approach as well imo. In the first half it helped to slow things down and keep things tight, but it should have been permenantlyabandoned from HT imo.

Monkey you do realise trying to explain football to boards.ie soccer forum is like getting a real monkey to explain rocket science.

Someone actually said passing for the sake of passing is pointless. Doesnt mention thats its called "retaining possesion" in a european game. I mean seriously luckyloyd actually said that.....

Monkey youtube commenters are a step above the kinda of opinion or knowledge you get on boards.ie soccer forum. Altho in fairness they know loads about GBs olympic team......

When andy gray got canned 90% of the opinions on this forum suffered.

Monkey you do realise trying to explain football to boards.ie soccer forum is like getting a real monkey to explain rocket science.

Someone actually said passing for the sake of passing is pointless. Doesnt mention thats its called "retaining possesion" in a european game. I mean seriously luckyloyd actually said that.....

Monkey youtube commenters are a step above the kinda of opinion or knowledge you get on boards.ie soccer forum. Altho in fairness they know loads about GBs olympic team......

When andy gray got canned 90% of the opinions on this forum suffered.

lol at such sanctimonious twaddle. I could type a few lines defending myself and expanding upon the fairly standard point being made but why bother - it would be wasted on you. I'm sure you and Monkey are the only two people on the boards.ie soccer forum who attend live (i.e. "REAL") football on a regular basis.

Sorry I didn't fawn over Pat's largely aimless losing effort.

Good job, good effort.

lol at such sanctimonious twaddle. I could type a few lines defending myself and expanding upon the fairly standard point being made but why bother - it would be wasted on you. I'm sure you and Monkey are the only two people on the boards.ie soccer forum who attend live (i.e. "REAL") football on a regular basis.

Sorry I didn't fawn over Pat's largely aimless losing effort.

Good job, good effort.

Please tell me how my Irish team should play football.....seriously our entire team and under age system is based on this possesion football lark... technique ability is what we go for and train and teach..... but hey internet guy knows better...

we are obviously clueless to the superior knowledge on boards.ie soccer forum and their infinite knowledge on what we did wrong...

jaysis......should i start singing the fields of ****ing athenry now???

possession football != goalkeeper short to fullback, to center half, to holding midfielder, to fullback, to center half, to holding midfielder, to goalkeeper, kicked away

Lloyd, i'm not sure why you're bringing me into some kind of arguement about 'real' fans. I just comment on what i see.

You said we pass for the sake of passing. Well, i'd rather we did that and wait for an opening rather than kicking it into the channels where we will lose possession. The other team can't score if we have the ball.

St Pat's this season under Buckley pass the ball. That's the philosophy and it's not gonna change. It's what the club train at constantly, so why go completely different just because we're losing.

I would rather build up play and release the full backs rather than just kicking the ball into the channels because our full backs are actually dangerous going forward. Have a look at Ger O' Brien's cross here, it's better than most wingers!!

This is what happens when you retain possession rather than just kicking into the channels and hoping for the best!!

Last week we scored this goal against the Bosnians, who had full internationals, by keeping possession. You don't see Ireland doing this!

That goal comes from a mentality of maintaining possession. Just keep the ball, don't let the other team have it and they can't score.

After the heap of sh!te our country produced in the Euros under Trappatoni, i'm delighted to see Pat's play and stick to what their philosophy is. Yes, it can be frustrating, but if that's what they train and believe, i'm all for it!

I can't believe a League of Ireland side is being criticized for this!!

• Advertisement

!

I can't believe a League of Ireland side is being criticized for this!!

Welcome to the retard factory....enjoy your stay.

its grand tho they made a thread about how to save our league.....we all golden now.....they had ideas and ****.....

For the boards *****, deadly moment at the end of the game when Fagan went to Zieler and had a chat and swapped jerseys.

highley unlikely the link will be copped, but im some sure united fan will twig it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Amusingly enough, Hannover 96 dont own the ground they play in either.

This is becoming maddening. Yes, Pats may have a philosophy and it may yield dividends when up against tactically, technically and athletically lessor opponents in the LOI. But it never came close to working on Thursday night, and the one extended spell where Pats bossed the game came when they abandoned it and went longer and more direct.

The big problem people had with the national team in the summer was the inflexibility of the manager's ideas despite clear evidence that they weren't working. Pats were guilty of the same charges on Thursday.

Most of the passing done on Thursday was done between your deepest lying six players (including your goalkeeper) - you realise this right?

The idea that a team should get a pass just because they insist on distributing it short from every goal kick is retarded! Bad tactics, and poor adjustment to different challenges comes in many forms. Ireland at the Euros may be one, Pats on Thursday is another imo.

And for dreamers - the reason I'm not coming on here with the 'oh weren't Pats wonderful and dreadfully unlucky' condescending bull**** is because I go to LOI games myself and I know that they (or any of our top few sides) had the ability to make life more difficult for that team on Thursday - if they had been wiser in their approach.

We'll just hoof it up to Anto Flood next week so! Clarkey, kick it as long as you can. Floody, you knock it down and get a runner onto the loose ball. The rest of you's, just stand around looking interested!!!

We'll just hoof it up to Anto Flood next week so! Clarkey, kick it as long as you can. Floody, you knock it down and get a runner onto the loose ball. The rest of you's, just stand around looking interested!!!

Yeah, clearly that's what I said.

GOOD JOB, GOOD EFFORT.

Well it has served Pats well up until this year..

Yeah, clearly that's what I said.

GOOD JOB, GOOD EFFORT.

What are you talking about?? Kicking it longer into the channels? The way Pat's played last night is exactly the way we've played all season. The first half was poor, but we got into it midway through and carried it onto the second half.

You're talking about just pointlessly knocking it about at the back. That's not pointless, it's waiting for the openings! You can't just kick it into the channels and hope it finds a red shirt.

Well it has served Pats well up until this year..

Not really, we won nothing. It's served you's better!!

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?? Kicking it longer into the channels? The way Pat's played last night is exactly the way we've played all season. The first half was poor, but we got into it midway through and carried it onto the second half.

You're talking about just pointlessly knocking it about at the back. That's not pointless, it's waiting for the openings! You can't just kick it into the channels and hope it finds a red shirt.

I'd say the same thing. You don't seem to realise that a different tactical approach was employed for Pat's better spells. It wasn't them 'getting into it'.

Advertisement