Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei Ascend G300 Firmware and ICS Update

• 01-08-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I got an update today from a good source that Huawei will roll out an MR version of Gingerbread (B893) for G300 Vodafone Ireland next week Over the Air.

Some important information:
    - OTA update will on be available to customers on B886 (Offical Vodafone Ireland Version)
    - Update will be available over WiFi only
    - Min 500MB Memory Card Required
    - Make sure Battery in fully charged
    - Make sure you Back up any Personal Data as this will deleted as part of the upgrade process

After the Firmware installs the end users must do a Factory Reset: Settings > Privacy> Factory Data Reset to make sure the changes install

The Official Vodafone Ireland ICS version will be available OTA during August (No exact timelines given) however only units with the version B893 will take the ICS upgrade.

If I get any more information I will update the post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is this only with vodafone? thinking of buying it of them and unlocking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TriviumX

Will the update be available for phones with a build number ending in B886?

TriviumX wrote: »

Is that build number the ones vodafone are selling? Don't want to be stick on gingerbread.

stevek93 wrote: »

Is that build number the ones vodafone are selling? Don't want to be stick on gingerbread.

My brother and I bought a G300 each, one online and one in the store and they were both B886. As far as I know, Vodafone are the only network selling the G300 at the moment, so it's likely that they sell the B893 version too.
    They are releasing the ICS update for it, afterall.
    There isn't a B893 firmware update available on the B886 version, so it looks like B886 probably won't be updated.
    We'll just have to wait until nucleardublin posts more information.

My brother and I bought a G300 each, one online and one in the store and they were both B886. As far as I know, Vodafone are the only network selling the G300 at the moment, so it's likely that they sell the B893 version too.
    There isn't a B893 firmware update available on the B886 version, so it looks like B886 probably won't be updated.

Will do. Cheer mate cant wait to get this phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

nucleardublin said the B893 update wasn't due till next week. B893, if and when it is released, will still be gingerbread.

Adyx wrote: »
    nucleardublin said the B893 update wasn't due till next week. B893, if and when it is released, will still be gingerbread.

So its just a update for gingerbread?

nucleardublin said the B893 update wasn't due till next week. B893, if and when it is released, will still be gingerbread.[/Quote]

Oh, you're right. I read nucleardublins post wrong.
    So, B893 is an upcoming update that i can get OTA, and then i can go from there to ICS? Is that right?

So, B893 is an upcoming update that i can get OTA, and then i can go from there to ICS? Is that right?[/Quote]

Can I still get this update if i unlock the phone and use it with meteor?

So, B893 is an upcoming update that i can get OTA, and then i can go from there to ICS? Is that right?

Can I still get this update if i unlock the phone and use it with meteor?[/Quote]

According to this, you can.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353767-will-unlocking-affect-ics-update-and-vice-versa/

• Advertisement

Can I still get this update if i unlock the phone and use it with meteor?

According to this, you can.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/353767-will-unlocking-affect-ics-update-and-vice-versa/[/Quote]

Thanks for the links. Seems so the update is coming from huawei so.

Yes. That's how I read nucleardublin's post. Huawei's gingerbread roms for this phone are all B8xx and the ics roms are B9xx. If you check on Modaco there's already a B892 rom which is gb and the B926 and B927 roms are both ics.

Confused with all this here :P going to ask them send me out the B893 version just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Just had a brain wave these B893 B927 numbers ect are these hardware related or software related like a build number for each higher number is a newer build?

So if I buy the phone of vodafone i can flash it and install this correct. www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-ics-403-b926/page__pid__1982861__st__20#entry1982861

Confused with all this here :P going to ask them send me out the B893 version just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Just had a brain wave these B893 B927 numbers ect are these hardware related or software related like a build number for each higher number is a newer build?

So if I buy the phone of vodafone i can flash it and install this correct. www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-ics-403-b926/page__pid__1982861__st__20#entry1982861
    Haha, it's all software. There's no hardware difference. You can indeed install that if you want. The only reasons to wait for an official ics update is to avoid voiding your warranty and because Huawei have promised full hardware acceleration will be included.

Haha, it's all software. There's no hardware difference. You can indeed install that if you want. The only reasons to wait for an official ics update is to avoid voiding your warranty and because Huawei have promised full hardware acceleration will be included.

Phew, was getting worried there lol. Why does that rom not have hardware acceleration? Also will this new update be vodafone branded. Hopefully well see this update on modaco with a few tweaks and a root.

Phew, was getting worried there lol. Why does that rom not have hardware acceleration? Also will this new update be vodafone branded. Hopefully well see this update on modaco with a few tweaks and a root.
    It does have hardware acceleration for some things (games etc) but my understanding of it is that it doesn't have acceleration for the gui. This means that it relies on the CPU to do the work when theirs a perfectly good graphics processor doing nothing. If done properly it could mean a nice performance boost. It's really something only Huawei can fix easily too. This is why a lot of people on Modaco are looking for OpenGL implementation.

I'd imagine it will be VF branded but even the original stock rom wasn't too filled with their crap and a quick root will sort it. You should have seen all the crap that Chinese B926 rom installs, nightmare to get rid of it all and I still have a Chinese boot screen. I hope it appears on Modaco too. I really couldn't be bothered going back to B886 to install B893 then installing the ics rom. Once you've gone to an ics rom, it can be difficult to downgrade again.

It does have hardware acceleration for some things (games etc) but my understanding of it is that it doesn't have acceleration for the gui. This means that it relies on the CPU to do the work when theirs a perfectly good graphics processor doing nothing. If done properly it could mean a nice performance boost. It's really something only Huawei can fix easily too. This is why a lot of people on Modaco are looking for OpenGL implementation.

I'd imagine it will be VF branded but even the original stock rom wasn't too filled with their crap and a quick root will sort it. You should have seen all the crap that Chinese B926 rom installs, nightmare to get rid of it all and I still have a Chinese boot screen. I hope it apears on Modaco too. I really couldn't be bothered going back to B886 to install B893 then installing the ics rom. Once you've gone to an ics rom, it can be difficult to downgrade again.

Ill be sticking to the OTA update from VF so and just do a root, I take it it isn't to hard to root just install clockworkmod and flash some sort of a zip and bing I have root access correct? Can't live without the Adfree app lol.

I know from past experience flashing ported ics roms on a few different phones now have been a complete nightmare even when the dev says its out of beta when it is clearly not as you mentioned no hardware acceleration on the gui is a complete melt also I say it would eat the battery the gui running solely of the cpu.

Ill be sticking to the OTA update from VF so and just do a root, I take it it isn't to hard to root just install clockworkmod and flash some sort of a zip and bing I have root access correct? Can't live without the Adfree app lol.

I know from past experience flashing ported ics roms on a few different phones now have been a complete nightmare even when the dev says its out of beta when it is clearly not as you mentioned no hardware acceleration on the gui is a complete melt also I say it would eat the battery the gui running solely of the cpu.
    You don't even need to install CWM to root. The method in this thread should work if you're on a stock rom.

I'm using Tillaz's Infusion Beta at the moment and battery is fantastic, if the hardware acceleration helps even more, I'll be very happy! :D

You don't even need to install CWM to root. The method in this thread should work if you're on a stock rom.

I'm using Tillaz's Infusion Beta at the moment and battery is fantastic, if the hardware acceleration helps even more, I'll be very happy! :D

Thanks for the link. Hopefully will be able to buy the phone by early next week cant wait like a child when it comes to stuff like this lol. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Hey all, official Huawei ICS firmware is here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

does upgrading to that affect warranty?
    when will vfone have it ota?

M cebee wrote: »
    does upgrading to that affect warranty?
    when will vfone have it ota?

No confirmation of when OTA update is available. Don't see how it can affect warranty if it's an official update from Huawei they provided me with the link themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

eamon234 wrote: »
    No confirmation of when OTA update is available. Don't see how it can affect warranty if it's an official update from Huawei they provided me with the link themselves.

ok...so how do you update :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob.ob

I was told by a representative on the Vodafone forums that they finished the testing of ICS yesterday and it will be OTA in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It dosn't work

If you read the first page of the included PDF it says:

Versions can be upgraded:

U8815V100R001C00B915
    U8815V100R001C00B916
    U8815V100R001C00B918
    U8815V100R001C00B929
    U8815V100R001C00B933

Under "about phone" in settings it says my build number is
    U8815V100R001C02B893

Pity :(
    rob.ob wrote: »
    I was told by a representative on the Vodafone forums that they finished the testing of ICS yesterday and it will be OTA in the next few days.

Interesting to see how trustworthy Vodafone are on their timing... Does next few days mean 2 or 200 days?

It does work I'm using it!

Download file unzip copy dload folder to sd card. Settings>storage> software upgrade and that's it. Just backup everything first.

It dosn't work

U8815V100R001C00B915
    U8815V100R001C00B916
    U8815V100R001C00B918
    U8815V100R001C00B929
    U8815V100R001C00B933

U8815V100R001C02B893

Interesting to see how trustworthy Vodafone are on their timing... Does next few days mean 2 or 200 days?

It dosn't work

U8815V100R001C00B915
    U8815V100R001C00B916
    U8815V100R001C00B918
    U8815V100R001C00B929
    U8815V100R001C00B933

U8815V100R001C02B893

Yeah ignore pretty much everything Vodafone and Huawei say about this phone. It works fine, I've had it on my phone for about a month and it runs beautifully. I wouldn't bother waiting for Vodafone either. If their ota update just installs this rom with all their bloat, then you're better off just installing this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob.ob

I've heard of a lot of issues with the attempts at cracking this phone, mainly with the camera and bluetooth not working. Does the generic version work perfectly with everything, and does it void warranty (I've tried my hardest to find that one out, but nobody will give me an answer).

I've heard of a lot of issues with the attempts at cracking this phone, mainly with the camera and bluetooth not working. Does the generic version work perfectly with everything, and does it void warranty (I've tried my hardest to find that one out, but nobody will give me an answer).
    The only custom roms with those issues are CM9 and CM10 and that's because they're not based on a stock rom. As go your second question, only Vodafone can answer that for definite. You should assume it will though.

• Advertisement

The update method in my post requires no rooting or cracking. You are simply updating to ICS. The version on this update works perfectly.

There's no tweaking or rooting needed it works perfectly and is not Vodafone branded. Or even Huawei branded for that matter it's pretty much stock Android. If you just want to update to ICS just install and forget about rooting if you're worried about warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

What was your original version Eamon234?

I am on Baseband 109808 and Build C02B886 which are not mentionened in that user manual.

And the intructions on Modaco suggest to flash first to B926 as it would change the baseband to 2030 and enables HSDPA 11 whatever those are.

I am confused now

There's no tweaking or rooting needed it works perfectly and is not Vodafone branded. Or even Huawei branded for that matter it's pretty much stock Android. If you just want to update to ICS just install and forget about rooting if you're worried about warranty.

It dosen't bleedin' work! :mad:

I tried standard + forced upgrade, both methods twice....both failed. Formatted the SD card, placed the dload folder on the SD card with the 608mb file inside the folder.

Tried both methods detailed in the .pdf file.....Update failed is what it reads!

Wcool wrote: »
    What was your original version Eamon234?

I am on Baseband 109808 and Build C02B886 which are not mentionened in that user manual.

And the intructions on Modaco suggest to flash first to B926 as it would change the baseband to 2030 and enables HSDPA 11 whatever those are.

I am confused now

Mine was B886 also I have no issues with it so far it's working perfectly. Baseband has changed to 2030 and HSDPA is fine.

It dosen't bleedin' work! :mad:

I tried standard + forced upgrade, both methods twice....both failed. Formatted the SD card, placed the dload folder on the SD card with the 608mb file inside the folder.

Tried both methods detailed in the .pdf file.....Update failed is what it reads!

Well it worked for me. Try downloading it again I had problems unzipping it the first 2 times as the file seemed to be corrupted. Also make sure you're updating using Settings>Storage>Software Upgrade

• Advertisement

Well it worked for me. Try downloading it again I had problems unzipping it the first 2 times as the file seemed to be corrupted. Also make sure you're updating using Settings>Storage>Software Upgrade

Appears i made some progress, BUT....i had to install stock Huawei B926 firmware first, Dunni why?.....the touted baseband update perhaps?

Anyways B926 went smooth by the software upgrade method, so now i am overlaying B934 over that...hopefully it goes well :)

Btw...ICS looks very different, snazzy :D

edit....b934 failed to update!

Did you verify the checksum? And also make sure you redownload the ROM as it might have changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I couldn't get that Huawei official ICS update to work either lads. I just downloaded one from Modaco. Well, moved to B926 first I think to change the baseband, and then flashed Infusion B934. Although, didn't like Infusion so just downloaded the standard ICS B934 and I love it so far!

I used this thread - http://www.modaco.com/topic/356806-guide-upgrade-and-downgrade-the-g300-between-gb-ics-and-jb-with-downloads/ - which helped a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It does work I'm using it!

Download file unzip copy dload folder to sd card. Settings>storage> software upgrade and that's it. Just backup everything first.

Alright, I'll give it another shot now!

Last time it failed on step 2 and the only thing that could be done was pull the battery to get it going again, tried that 3 or 4 times from the menu and another 2 or 3 times by pressing the 2 volume buttons whilst powering on... All failed at the same moment, just before step 2!

Edit: Still nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

can i skip the 893 update and install ics ota
    when its released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

So only one person has successfully updated from stock (exactly as bought in shop) to the official ICS update given on previous page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

flugel wrote: »
    So only one person has successfully updated from stock (exactly as bought in shop) to the official ICS update given on previous page?

Not exactly from stock, I was on b892 but followed the guide below as well and worked fine. Haven't gone through step 3 yet. EDIT: No problems here either. I would note that the 'middle package' mentioned in Section 2 wasn't in the toolkit, but it is available elsewhere on modaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Not exactly from stock, I was on b892 but followed the guide below as well and worked fine. Haven't gone through step 3 yet. EDIT: No problems here either. I would note that the 'middle package' mentioned in Section 2 wasn't in the toolkit, but it is available elsewhere on modaco.

I might for the craic try install the official update linked, see if I'm lucky and if it works.

Its not my own phone, only want to update it once be it official ICS or if I have to go down root route. I hope I get away with the official ICS, will save a lot of hassle!

After many MANY hours of crapola.....i had to root and CWM my phone, i then install the stock Huawei B934 ROM from Modaco. Been testing and tweaking.

Since i've fecked my Vodafone warranty and official OTA updates + support i've no choice now to stay with ROM cooks and try rebuild the phone like it was when i bought it, incl. Voda bloarware.

Has the latest Huawei ROM been pulled?

I always get a zero byte file when I try
    HUAWEI Ascend G300 firmware(U8815,Android 4.0,V100R001C00B934,General Version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

OK so I bought the G300 yesterday and got the OTA GB update (B893). I've since unlocked the phone to use with my 3 sim. I've downloaded the official Huawei B934 rom but in the guide it says that only versions greater than B915 can be upgraded. So that means I can't follow the official update procedure right?
    Do I have to root my phone/install CWM? And then can I use the official rom?

Thanks for any help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Opinicus wrote: »
    OK so I bought the G300 yesterday and got the OTA GB update (B893). I've since unlocked the phone to use with my 3 sim. I've downloaded the official Huawei B934 rom but in the guide it says that only versions greater than B915 can be qupgraded. So that means I can't follow the official update procedure right?
    I don't think so unless you wait for an online release of ICS .
    Do I have to root my phone/install CWM? And then can I use the official rom?

Thanks for any help guys.

Yes but you need to go to B926 or B927 first.
    All the info you need is here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-and-root-ics-403-on-the-g300/

Once you're done you can intall whatever Ics rom you like.
    Infusion is quite popular

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-infusion-b934-ics-403-b270812-updated-b03/

Make sure to back up whatever is the current rom using CWM in case you need to reload it.

Official Vodafone ICS update from New Zealand just released!

Build B936....gonna flash soon.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/357228-ics-repack-403-b936-u8815-release-rom/

This is a ROM, totally untouched and exactly the same as Voda NZ issued as OTA update. You'll need to be rooted and CWM/Clockwork Recovery mod etc.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I don't think so unless you wait for an online release of ICS .

Yes but you need to go to B926 or B927 first.
    All the info you need is here:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-and-root-ics-403-on-the-g300/

Once you're done you can intall whatever Ics rom you like.
    Infusion is quite popular

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-infusion-b934-ics-403-b270812-updated-b03/

Make sure to back up whatever is the current rom using CWM in case you need to reload it.

^ yes....as you need to new the new/updated Baseband version which B926/7 has....in order to update the B934/6 from there.

The rooting/CWM process is long and a pain in the arse....it's not hard, just alot of steps and if you don't read the instructions or miss a step it takes ages, like i did :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement