Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Mini

• 01-08-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    My old phone broke, so got one of these. On '3' network.
    Just wondering what to download/install to get the most out of this Android phone.
    Im not too 'up' on all the Android technology.
    Any help would be great.
    Thank you,
    EIM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

This may prove to be a decent resource for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1311

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

If you looking to install a custom ROM id go with gingermod don't bother with ICS or Jellybean on a small phone like this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1577900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

stevek93 wrote: »
    If you looking to install a custom ROM id go with gingermod don't bother with ICS or Jellybean on a small phone like this. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1577900
    Do I need to wipe all 3apps from it? They were on it when I bought it.

EireIceMan wrote: »

Yes it will wipe everything from the phone wouldn't recommend doing unless you know what you are at as you could end up with a brick.

Yes it will wipe everything from the phone wouldn't recommend doing unless you know what you are at as you could end up with a brick.

Will leave as is so. Battery is terrible on these if you are doing anything bar txing and calling. Cool phone though.

• Advertisement

Will leave as is so. Battery is terrible on these if you are doing anything bar txing and calling. Cool phone though.

You can always turn of the WIFI data and GPS to help save the battery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

You can always turn of the WIFI data and GPS to help save the battery. :)
    +1 I had my internet turned off for a day to see how much my battery would last on my Samsung Galaxy Europa and it lasted twice as long. EireIceMan go to the Play Store on your handset for apps to download.

KKkitty wrote: »
    +1 I had my internet turned off for a day to see how much my battery would last on my Samsung Galaxy Europa and it lasted twice as long. EireIceMan go to the Play Store on your handset for apps to download.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler&hl=en

Cheers for that :) just downloaded it.

No worries great little app.

• Advertisement

No worries great little app.
    I get bored with apps so I'm forever installing new ones. Do you have the official Facebook app btw?

I get bored with apps so I'm forever installing new ones. Do you have the official Facebook app btw?

Nope heap of sh!t if you ask me, just put a shortcut on the home screen.

Nope heap of sh!t if you ask me, just put a shortcut on the home screen.
    I have it and it's as slow as a wet week to connect and gets worse with ever update.

I have it and it's as slow as a wet week to connect and gets worse with ever update.

Exactly love to know what the developers are at, just use it in the browser :)

Exactly love to know what the developers are at, just use it in the browser :)
    All those Facebook will donate a dollar if you like and share this picture and that picture must be taking a chunk out of their pockets :D

All those Facebook will donate a dollar if you like and share this picture and that picture must be taking a chunk out of their pockets :D

Heard somewhere they are loosing out on a lot of money as more and more people are turning to mobile devices as these don't have ads.

Heard somewhere they are loosing out on a lot of money as more and more people are turning to mobile devices as these don't have ads.
    On tablets would there be ads?

If you are using facebook.com yes, if you are using to app then no. :)

If you are using facebook.com yes, if you are using to app then no. :)
    I don't mind the ads at all though.

Thats why they should put ads on there apps to make mon... actually no i take that back i hate ads :p

• Advertisement

Installed. Total noob, but how does it work. When I click into it it just says 'touch for more' which just brings me to app store.
    Thanks for help guys:)

Installed. Total noob, but how does it work. When I click into it it just says 'touch for more' which just brings me to app store.
    Thanks for help guys:)

Go to a empty part of your home screen hold down select widgets then select data enabler. :)

Thats why they should put ads on there apps to make mon... actually no i take that back i hate ads :p
    Wear blinkers so you can avoid looking at the ads :p

Lol. If you rooted install adfree and you have no more ads ;)

Lol. If you rooted install adfree and you have no more ads. ;)

Lol. If you rooted install adfree and you have no more ads. ;)
    What exactly is rooting. I'm not tech savvy really.

What exactly is rooting. I'm not tech savvy really.

Rooting is essentially a process that allows users of smartphones, tablets or other devices running on Android to gain “superuser” access to the software. This will allow the user to perform administrative tasks such as writing to locations normally restricted by the system which in turn will allow for deeper customization. For iOS users, rooting on Android devices could be thought of as a close equivalent to jailbreaking your device.

That pretty much sums it up :)

That pretty much sums it up :)
    Cheers again. It's hard to keep up with technology.

• Advertisement

No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Guys for Facebook look up fast for Facebook in the play store. At least I think it's distributed there, I got it from xda. Holo themed Facebook FTW!

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Guys for Facebook look up fast for Facebook in the play store. At least I think it's distributed there, I got it from xda. Holo themed Facebook FTW!

Used it before gui not to my liking.

Used it before gui not to my liking.

Aye I found it was a bit convoluted but that was when it was back in beta, haven't tried it since. They seemed regular with updates and it was very fast. Same goes for boid for twitter.

Aye I found it was a bit convoluted but that was when it was back in beta, haven't tried it since. They seemed regular with updates and it was very fast. Same goes for boid for twitter.

It still is in beta. Not a big fan of using third party app for my Facebook and Twitter don't like the fact my passwords are going into them. :p

Funny you mentioned that, I was trying to disconnect my instagram from Facebook the other day... I like to leave facebooks annoyances on Facebook... And I saw ff there so I think it is directly verified. But yeah I still do use the stock Facebook just in case. I do find for twitter though boid is great, probably because the twitter app is so bad, although I hate the tab for accounts because most people only have one.

Back to Facebook, how smooth is Facebook on a galaxy mini? It was never that great on ICS on my HD2 but runs nicely wino my HOX. Reminds me kind of sense, uses WAYY more power than it should and just swamps the littler phones.

• Advertisement

Funny you mentioned that, I was trying to disconnect my instagram from Facebook the other day... I like to leave facebooks annoyances on Facebook... And I saw ff there so I think it is directly verified. But yeah I still do use the stock Facebook just in case. I do find for twitter though boid is great, probably because the twitter app is so bad, although I hate the tab for accounts because most people only have one.

Back to Facebook, how smooth is Facebook on a galaxy mini? It was never that great on ICS on my HD2 but runs nicely wino my HOX. Reminds me kind of sense, uses WAYY more power than it should and just swamps the littler phones.

Complete rubbish it was the same on my Galaxy S, after every update it seems to get worse someone said its grand on IOS love to know what the devs are at. For the moment I just have a shortcut on the home screen to the browser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

My Galaxy Mini (2011) came with 'Market'. Things appear to have moved on since.
    I'm trying to get Google Play on it. How do I do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

snubbleste wrote: »
    My Galaxy Mini (2011) came with 'Market'. Things appear to have moved on since.
    I'm trying to get Google Play on it. How do I do this?

Your Samsung Galaxy Mini should be running Android version 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) snubbeste. Can you check what version of Android you're running?

If you installed Samsung Kies on your laptop and connect up your phone, it should notify you that there is new software available for your phone (a firmware upgrade from 2.2 Froyo, which is what I think you have running on your phone).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's running Android 2.2.1 Froyo.xwkd4

I'll take your advice and see what happens.

Advertisement