Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion - Ballpark Figure Per Sq. M

Options
  • 01-08-2012 12:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭

guys, just wondering if there is a ball park figure for an attic conversion per square foot/m.

Typical 125mm joists, which need to be strengtened and or steel beams used depending on engineers calcs, but there is also 4 dormer windows proposed with some velux roof lights in there for good measure.

Girl in work wants to know if her budget is smashed even before she goies for planning :)

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We would need a lot more detail than that, I'm afraid.

Overall size, spans, heights, types sizes and construction of dormers, works to provide the stairs, uses of the conversion, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We would need a lot more detail than that, I'm afraid.

Overall size, spans, heights, types sizes and construction of dormers, works to provide the stairs, uses of the conversion, etc.

At a glance,

Attic height = 3.2m internal
    depth = 6.3m internal
    width = 10.8m internal
    125mm joists at approx 600mm centres (attic floor/rafters/cross joists)

stairs will be full width (900mm) and there is ample space from the first floor landing to provide this.
    Use of the attic will be home office/study/store
    dormers to be of typical rendered finish to match existing finish with slate roof.
    this style, not flat roof
    Fig-97-A-Dormer-Window.jpg

If she went to the trouble of emploting somebody to do this, then she may or may not have the money to carry out the works.

I remember during the boom a typical builders finish for a new build in Dublin was around €100 per square foot (give or take) obviously depending where, and what builder you went with.

Think we will work with this figure, thanks.

Advertisement