Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange road markings between Derry and Carrigans

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

I was on this road a few days ago (the one that turns in to the left as you leave Derry, to head the back road to Foyle Meats factory), and noticed road markings that I've never seen before.

Its seemed to the the alphabet, plus numbers 1 to 3, in small size on the centre of the lane.

So it started A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 etc ........ Z1, Z2, Z3.

Interval of maybe 20ft between markings.

Anyone got any idea what they are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

No idea What they are but they are there since the start of the year. They start near nixons corner and run to the border on both the Carrigan's road and the Killea road, on the north side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its most likely survey markings put there by road engineers from the council. They should be at regular intervals and would denote lengths of road surface to be repaired/replaced and sometimes they include levels where a greater depth of bitmac is to be laid together with markings for drainage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Muffler, the fountain of knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    Muffler, the fountain of knowledge!
    I wouldn't just go that far :o

Its only a guess based on the description but its common enough practice though before significant roadworks begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    I wouldn't just go that far :o

Its only a guess based on the description but its common enough practice though before significant roadworks begin.

These are there a good while now and really strange in the fact that they are in the middle of the lane (R.O.I. bound lane) and are not large, they are strangely formatted too the go for example;

"D" <-20 meters-> "1" <-> "2" <-> "3" <-> "E" <->"1"..... and so on.

They start and end very abruptly too, no markings other that the Letters / numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement