Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford United press release on demise of Bohs Premier team

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Waterford-United-Statement-August-1-2012.html?soid=1103023679597&aid=jtoMHFwAAFU
    BEGINS-

Waterford United Football Club has been made aware of the sad news that Waterford Bohemians are unable to field a team in the Waterford Premier League for the coming season. While the club shares its disappointment along with the rest of the football family in Waterford City and County about the situation that has developed at Waterford Bohemians, the club would like to correct the perception that has been portrayed in media reports this morning, that it had contributed in some way to this situation.

Waterford United fields a team in the Under 19 National League Elite Division where it finished third last season in its first campaign. This league was established by the FAI to provide a pathway for the continuing development of players who have the ability to compete on a national stage.

Waterford United's Under 19 management team is currently developing its squad for the coming season that kicks off later this month. As of today, two players who played with Waterford Bohemians last year have indicated their intention to join Waterford United's Under 19 squad this season and one of those players is currently injured and unlikely to play football until January 2013 at the earliest.

Waterford United is firmly committed to providing all players with the opportunities to develop their game to the highest level and is fully supportive of the Under 19 National League as a vehicle for such players to progress. It would further emphasise that the club has the utmost respect for all clubs in Waterford City and County and the wider South East and has, at all times, followed the procedures and protocols as laid down by the FAI as well as the informal agreements that have existed in the city and county for some time.

-ENDS-

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can you give people a bit of a background as to what its all about please, Partizan? :) Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Sully wrote: »
    Can you give people a bit of a background as to what its all about please, Partizan? :) Thanks

Over on www.btid.net, one of the posters claimed that the Blues were being blamed by certain quarters in the media for the demise of the Bohs Premier team in that WUFC were takig all of their players. Of course no one bothered to point out that Wexford Youths have Bohs players on their books, Tommy Croke, and Nolan twins, Brian and Shane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Here's the offending twitter from Liz Reddy
    Liz Reddy ‏@LilyReddy

Bohemians found it impossible to field a team because a number of players signed for Waterford United Under 19s or moved to other clubs

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

When I was playing underage bohs used to pouch player's from clubs every single season with the lure of winning the league , funny how at senior level they cant get a team together.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

The Kings of poaching have got caught in their own net :D
    what goes around comes around:p
    and now blame Waterford United for it:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I remember them poaching a few players at underage level myself. Never nice to see this happen. My own local team can't field a men's team this year so id be afraid that it's going to become more and more common.

Still, I find blaming Waterford Utd very bizzare. You can't fault any young fella for choosing the opportunity to play at a higher level and something tells me that Waterford Utd weren't offering them cash or anything like that to join the under 19 team.

Terrible to see but there is little sense at pointing fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

As far as I know Bohs never specifically named Waterford United on the premier teams downfall. It was shoddy journalism from WLR FM presenters etc are to blame for this.
    The chairman of Bohs was on the radio and said that it is due to the fact that they have lost players to LOI teams and other local clubs.
    WLR just presumed he meant Waterford United as they are the closest LOI team and jumped to all stupid conclusions.
    This has brought brought both Waterford Utd and Bohs names thru the mud slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Shoddy of WLR so,
    You can't blame any young lad for wanting to play for a LoI team, the quality of football and facilities is higher (in most clubs)
    Waterford Uniteds ground is in fantastic condition the pitch has been awarded the best surface two months in a row ( fair play to WCC)
    It's a shame to see petty attitudes in local sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Partizan wrote: »
    Here's the offending twitter from Liz Reddy

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy

A bit unfair to blame Liz Ready. WLR can only read out what they are given, which I'm sure they got what was from what they thought was a reliable source. Some of the soccer commentators, (1 of whom i am sure that it was that passed on the story) have a habit of blowing up a story in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

When I was playing underage bohs used to pouch player's from clubs every single season with the lure of winning the league , funny how at senior level they cant get a team together.

Some of the GAA Clubs in the city area were doing the same until rules were brought in which made it very hard for them. Pity it cant happen at adult level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement