Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Help !!!

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    Hope to god im in the right forum but i need some advice please.. Planning relocating to Canada with my child and partner in the coming months.. My partner is not my sons father he has had no contact with him in years(not for the want of trying) he has no interest simple as.. I have no idea what country my sons father is even in but last i heard was England so i have no way of getting any form signed by him to grant permission to take him out of the country..
    I had this problem when getting my sons passport 2 yrs ago who is 10 yrs old btw.. So i had the Commisioner for Oats sign his birth cert to say i had no knowledge of the fathers whereabouts..
    However ive been told it is not as straight forward for a visa that i will need some sort of documents signed.. I tried ringing the Canadian Embassy for the last week left messages and had no call back or even an answer off them so im totally lost as what to do about this..
    I am my sons sole Guardian with only my name on his Birth Cert can anybody give any advice on where i should go or what i should do about this???
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Carla:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm confused to whether you mean you are the sole guardian in pratice, or legally as well?
    Is your sons father his legal guardian? Were you married at the time your son was born, or did his father become legal guardian in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carla M

I am the sole guardian in practice and legally. My sons father was never a legal guardian and we were not married we broke up when i was pregnant and he has only seen him a couple of times since birth, he left the country about 5 yrs ago and don't know his whereabouts since.. I thought considering my son has his own passport all would be ok but now i dont want to take the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if he is not a legal guardian that he basically has no rights or say in decisions regarding you son.
    If I am right, then when you're applying for your/ his visa, you leave any part about his father blank as it's not legally relevant?

I'm sure there are other members who would be better informed than me though, and I'm really not sure.
    Maybe a search on this forum on Guardianship might throw up some good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carla M

Thanks for your help,
    I would have thought the same i would be just aftraid we would arrive at the airport and there would be a problem .. Ill check out Guardianship thanks :)

Advertisement