Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining IT Work experience.

Options
  • 01-08-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for some advice on what’s the best way to gain some work experience in IT.

At the moment I am working full time in a finance function and studying an IT degree part time, i will be commencing second year in september and I am really enjoying the course and satisfied that I have made the right decision in pursuing a career in IT. Im very bored with what I am doing at the moment and would be very keen to change and get stuck into getting IT experience in the workplace.

My problem is trying to gain some practical experience to go along with what I am studying. There are several areas that I am interested in : Datbases, IT security, Networking, Business Analysis and software testing. There are very limited opportunities for work shadowingand gaining experience where I currently work. I have made enquiries with my IT department but nothing has come of it which is a shame.

I have been applying for jobs over the past six months but have not been getting a look in, mainly I would think because I don’t have a lot of relevant experience. I have done some software testing and documenting processes but that is about it.

Can anyone advise me on what I could do?

Ive considered a CV blitz of various IT companies in the Greater Dublin area but is this a good idea?

Should I focus on one particular area or try and gain general experience in an IT department?

I am ideally looking for some sort of part time experience unpaid or paid work experience. How valuable is workshadowing whereby I sit watching someone in IT perform their day to day tasks?

Many Thanks for your help.
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi,

I was working in finance since I graduated from college. I decided to make this exact move last summer..
    However I already had a degree in computer science.

I must have sent a 100 cv's and I was coming from a good job but I did not get many replies. Eventually I decided to quit my job and took an unpaid internship.

Bold move but it has worked out perfectly. 6 months later with that experience on my cv I began to get a lot of feedback and got that "dream job" within weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Thanks for this. What type of work did you do during the internship? I have enough savings to last for six months but I have a mortgage too so would need to find a full time job after the internship ends. Its never easy :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The internship was with a multi national. I was tech support for a staff of 200/300.. It was a small I.t dept so I was really involved

I had some savings myself and you'll need all the help you can get. Not earning for 6 months can bring all types of pressure..

I would advise you to discuss this with your family and if you go down the intern route be sure to research the company explain your situation during any interviews.. It won't be long before the savings are gone and you'll need to find work. In a situation like that you cannot afford to waste those six months.

I know lots of people complain about the internships however the system worked a charm for me

Advertisement