Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boris Johnson caught on zipline

• 01-08-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9444065/Boris-Johnson-gets-stuck-on-zip-wire-carrying-two-Union-Jacks.html

Mr Johnson was featuring as a “special guest” in Victoria Park, London, to ride the zip line, donning a hard hat and two Union flags as he attempted to sail down.
    Instead, he ground steadily to a halt on the wire about 20m from the end as the wire sagged, and was left dangling inelegantly in front of a watching crowd.

The Mayor spent around five minutes hanging from the drooping line as spectators took video footage and photographs of his mishap.
    When one asked how he was feeling, he replied “very, very well thank you”, before shouting: "Get me a rope, get me a ladder" to bystanders.
    According to eyewitnesses, he spent the intervening minutes waving his flags and leading the audience in cheering on British gold medal-winning rowers.

Eventually, staff came to his rescue and used a rope to tow him to the bottom of the line.
    The cause of the incident has not yet been confirmed, but it is understood to be down to a "loss of momentum" as the wire sagged lower than expected. Other visitors to Victoria Park are believed to have since used it successfully.
    A spokesman for Mr Johnson told reporters he "remained unbowed" by the incident, adding: "The judges will rightly be marking him down for artistic impression."

This guy is a right tool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Neeson wrote: »

Not that I disagree with this sentence but the zipline stalling is hardly his fault is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

I think he's fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

How did he get this far in life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Old Boys network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Neeson wrote: »

Sounds to me like he handled a fairly embarrassing episoide, but one that was completely out of his control, with good humour and grace. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

In simpler times they would have thrown rocks at him. He is oddly likeable mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not using a zipline anyway.

ZING!

Am I right?

Anyone ever noticed how automatic doors never work when you're in a hurry? Right? Have you seen this? Have you heard of this?

Automatic doors....... *tumbleweed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Being likeable and intelligent does wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Nah, it is funny and I suppose he did handle it well. What else could he do? Probably feels like a right eejit. Of all the times for it to happen. Then again he wouldn't be doing that sort of thing only for the Olympics is on.

Nichololas wrote: »

Indeed. He has a certain charisma that has served him well in life. I think he gets a lot of undeserved bad press.

He's not the person his detractors make him out to be

• Advertisement

Lollers wrote: »
    Old Boys network.

He played the game and has come out ahead. Nothing wrong with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Boris is my most favourite Tory ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Not that I disagree with this sentence but the zipline stalling is hardly his fault is it?

Looking at the first photo, he seems to have got his trousers caught in that crane!!

I miss him not being on Have I Got News For You!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Johnson is a decent sort, and seemingly a good mayor. I like the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Seen on Twitter: "London gets cock stuck in zip"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

His popularity in London and Britain in general is apparently booming at the moment. He's been quite lucky with that as the Olympics were brought to London before his arrival at City Hall and the feel good factor means that it was somewhat inevitable.

Saying that, he's got it all there to be a future tory leader. Clearly very intelligent, and (despite coming across as by far the poshest of high profile conservatives) is someone a far greater number of people can relate to. He's got a passion for his city and all who live in it. In saying that, he's far more a real conservative than Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Where To wrote: »

Unfortunately, that still leaves us with the fact that he's a Tory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He's a goof. A little bit likeable but in a goofy way. I remember he was always a good laugh on Have I Got News For You, but only for being a complete goof.
    I heard some rumblings about him trying to stone wall certain aspects of Londons gay pride parade a little while back which puts me in the dislike camp if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Boris is a legend, he's a breath of fresh air, he's very popular, and he is doing a great job as Mayor of London!

PS: He's even had the new London bus (the Borismaster) named after him.

Borismaster > http://cyberboris.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/borismaster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Always liked Boris not sure about that guy who got his face tattoed on his thigh tho:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

He's got some tackle on him aswell, this is him playing for england against germany in a charity match. Rhino charge tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Thats a proper challenge:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Oh I do love Boris, great character - way more geniune than that Cameron tosspot and a lot more fun

He's great

And i most deffo would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Where To wrote: »

He's the only Tory that I like.

He's brilliant. Nothing ever seems to faze him and he always looks like he doesn't give a shít, whether that involves his appearance or insulting New York. He's also very, very comfortable in front of the camera which is rare enough these days.

This speech is brilliant. It's as erratic a speech as you'll find. I couldn't imagine any other politician giving one like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Pantsface wrote: »
    Oh I do love Boris, great character - way more geniune than that Cameron tosspot and a lot more fun

He's great

And i most deffo would

You would what? Let Boris put his pee pee into your vagina?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

He is funny but in fairness he is a buffoon...

When he was running against Livingstone he always reminded me of when Homer Simpson ran against the Sanitation Commissioner.

http://www.viddler.com/v/731607ce

I imagine Livingstone doing this in a couple of years:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Nichololas wrote: »
    bwatson wrote: »
    Clearly very intelligent

Am I missing something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I know it said zipline but I imagined him getting caught in a power line.

Advertisement