Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glide Versus Spin

Options
  • 01-08-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've been asking a few people why they choose glide over spin in terms of shot put technique.

Most these people are much bigger then me in terms of build but most of them gave the reason, stability

They felt when they spin, they loose stability in the mid-part of the spin

Most said this was down to strength i.e. they felt they were not strong enough

But am I correct in assuming, provided you know how to do a spin

That a poor core could be a major factor in stability if you choose that technique over the glide

Trevor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Thud

your discus/shot put questions might be better suited on this thread/section:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056168155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I agree that the throws thread in the A/R/T forum would be a better place for this discussion.

To answer your question, I would say that if these guys that you spoke to have poor technique in the spin, it is because they didn't do enough work on their technique. Same as anything. You get better at something by doing that thing, not by doing something else and expecting it to carry over.

If your mates are off balance in the centre of the ring, it is because they started out off balance at the back of the ring. The solution is not to get out of a bad position using phenomenal core strength, but not to get into that position in the first place.

I would say most people choose the glide for the following reasons:

(i) It is easier to get into the power position, so more forgiving of poor technique.

(ii) It feels much more intuitive - more like a strength sport for a big strong guy, so there is more direct carryover from the gym

(iii) Rotational shot is not coached in Ireland. Most people who take up the shot take it up in secondary school. The coaches get the forwards from the rugby teams when the season is over, so have just a few short months to prepare them for the competitions. The glide is much quicker to learn and produces more consistent results, so no surprise that this is the route they all take.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trevor O Connell

Interesting points and I'd agree with what you are saying but I do think a good core is more important for the rotation then the glide.

Its only my personal view

In terms of the rotation, am I correct in assuming if you want to learn the shot and discus that maybe learning the shot rotation is a better avenue to follow

Personally, again only my opinion I think if you are not a big build that the rotation (if you get it right) may give you a better shot then the glide

I reposed the thread in AR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

In terms of the rotation, am I correct in assuming if you want to learn the shot and discus that maybe learning the shot rotation is a better avenue to follow

Not necessarily. The top guys in Ireland all do both the shot and the discus, and all do the glide.

But obviously if you were doing the rotation in both, any improvements in your technique would apply to both events - to some degree - and you could do the same drills for both events, so your training could be more efficient / effective.

Advertisement