Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race week overcharging in Galway

Options
  • 01-08-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Went into the Skeff today for lunch (regular customer), got to the carvery section, then noticed the prices had gone up by €1, so the main meal and a lot of others were €10.95 :rolleyes:

No thanks, stepped out of the queue, walked right out of there.

It's only €1 yes, but it's the principle.

Anybody else witnessed overcharging this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It is only a Euro during Race Week. Skeff had given good value for at least 50 years to my knowledge.

I presume during Races they have to get in extra staff etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

nuac wrote: »
    It is only a Euro during Race Week. Skeff had given good value for at least 50 years to my knowledge.

I presume during Races they have to get in extra staff etc

Why do they have extra staff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Strongly worded letter to a local freesheet is in order.

There was a piece on a national radio station this week about hotel prices in Galway comparing this week to another August week. €100+ per night mark-ups were noted. Publicity does wonders for the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

jenno86 wrote: »
    Why do they have extra staff?

Extra business during Race Week

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

be interesting to see if the price drops back next week or the week after when the races are over

Mgmt using the races to get a price rise in as people expect higher prices in race week? After 2 weeks a lot of people will view it as normal!

• Advertisement

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Yes but that means extra profit. They certainly don't need to raise prices because they are busy if anything they should reduce prices as most places clean up during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

It is only a Euro during Race Week.

I know it's "only €1", hence why I said:
    Col200sx wrote: »
    It's only €1 yes, but it's the principle.

It's bad form ripping off people for race week, they're just trying to make a quick buck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Good find OP. I hate that type of carry on. I worked in a few Galway pubs/hotels over different Race Weeks and the overcharging was crazy.

OP you've been eating there for the past two years :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I know it's "only €1", hence why I said:

It's bad form ripping off people for race week, they're just trying to make a quick buck.
    Well, if they find the opportunity to make money off Race Week then why not take it? The Skeff is just a business like any other, of course they're going to try to make a quick buck, it's just another fundamental objective, there's nothing wrong with that. It's up to you, the consumer, on whether you want to eat there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nailz wrote: »
    Well, if they find the opportunity to make money off Race Week then why not take it? The Skeff is just a business like any other, of course they're going to try to make a quick buck, it's just another fundamental objective, there's nothing wrong with that. It's up to you, the consumer, on whether you want to eat there or not.

He did go somewhere else. He's just making everyone else aware so they don't waste their time going in there. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Other than hotel rooms which have peaks and troughs, I know that hiking up the price of a pint (drink) for an event is illegal. Does that apply to food too?? A few years ago pubs were busted in Dublin for putting up the price of drink during football matches. I can't find the link to it though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Went into the Skeff today for lunch (regular customer), got to the carvery section, then noticed the prices had gone up by €1, so the main meal and a lot of others were €10.95 :rolleyes:

No thanks, stepped out of the queue, walked right out of there.

That's not overcharging.

Overcharging is if the signs said €10.95 for the food and €2 for the drink, and you got the till and were charged any more than €12.95, despite what the signs say.

Or maybe if they were charging €19.95 for the same meal and environment that everyone else in town was charging €10.95 for. (Technically this is price-gourging, but same difference really.)

What you experienced was prices rising to meet demand. That's called "economics". No different, really, to restaurants giving a discount to get people in on quiet nights in winter.

It's not a problem - unless they don't tell you about it. They told you, you took your demand elsewhere. That's the market operating as it should.

JustMary wrote: »
    That's not overcharging.

Overcharging is if the signs said €10.95 for the food and €2 for the drink, and you got the till and were charged any more than €12.95, despite what the signs say.

Or maybe if they were charging €19.95 for the same meal and environment that everyone else in town was charging €10.95 for. (Technically this is price-gourging, but same difference really.)

What you experienced was prices rising to meet demand. That's called "economics". No different, really, to restaurants giving a discount to get people in on quiet nights in winter.

It's not a problem - unless they don't tell you about it. They told you, you took your demand elsewhere. That's the market operating as it should.

You're missing the point

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

On economics, it costs less to provide more. If they buy twice as much food they may well get it at a discounted rate meaning they make more profit.

I'm not against what they did but I think if I was a regular at that establishment and I was going to be charged more because the town was full of gamblers I'd take my business else where. The Skeff is running the risk of losing their regular customers for a quick buck.

Even if the OP fully intended on going back after the prices go down he may well find somewhere much better during that period and just not want to go back.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    He did go somewhere else. He's just making everyone else aware so they don't waste their time going in there. Thanks OP!
    I know he did, I never said he didn't. But throwing phrases like "ripping off" and saying it's bad form and all that is nonsense. He done the right thing for him, he didn't want to spend the extra euro so he didn't, it's not the place to be flaming the Skeff or whatever pub during race week because they raised the prices to suit the extra demand, from a business perspective they have done nothing wrong.

I'm intrigued by the fact that people have to be warned not to go there, as if the €1 differentiates value for money and a rip off for lunch in the Skeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 helloghan

I know he did, I never said he didn't. But throwing phrases like "ripping off" and saying it's bad form and all that is nonsense. He done the right thing for him, he didn't want to spend the extra euro so he didn't, it's not the place to be flaming the Skeff or whatever pub during race week because they raised the prices to suit the extra demand, from a business perspective they have done nothing wrong.

I'm intrigued by the fact that people have to be warned not to go there, as if the €1 differentiates value for money and a rip off for lunch in the Skeff.

Exactly. who cares whether it's 9.95 or 10.95? If it makes such a difference I suggest scanning the ground while you're in there, you might find a couple of 10 cents, be worthwhile...

I can also see the other side of it, being annoyed that the price is put up just for race week though. The more I think about it, the more I think, 'Yeah, I'd walk out too!' but I couldn't tell you why.

I'm intrigued by the fact that people have to be warned not to go there, as if the €1 differentiate value for money and a rip off for lunch in the Skeff.

He's not put off by the price, he's put off by the fact they increased it for the races. It's his opinion and he's sharing it and warning others. In my opinion The Skeff is ripping people off. It's gouging customers to maximize profits for the week. The extra staff they have to put on, would be more than covered by the extra money spent in the place. So where is the justification in raising the prices?

It's greed at a time when most people can't afford to pay that bit extra. If I was on the dole I'd notice the euro more. If I worked in the city center and went there for a sandwich everyday I'd notice the 5 euro for the week. It's good to know.

It's also as I said in my opinion gouging. Galway is at a time when it needs to put it's best foot forward. During the Celtic Tiger (IMO) it became less tourist based, service went down the tubes and this kind of gouging started to happen. Now there's a noticeable change, with more focus on tourism but the likes of the hotels, restaurants and pubs like The Skeff that are around the town charging a crazy price will leave a bad taste in the mouth of visitors and in the end hurt the image of Galway as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If the price reverts to €9.95 next week or the week after, then I'd be annoyed.

Maybe the price just went up?

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    If the price reverts to €9.95 next week or the week after, then I'd be annoyed.
    Maybe the price just went up?
    No, the Skeff put it up for a certain period..they have done so for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Whatever about about putting the price up, we got a chicken shisk (spelling...how do you spell it...I don't know) in an ex Strawberry Fields Kebabary in Cross Street at the weekend, and it was distinctly lacking in the poultry content. I put it down to Race Week Portions.

I probably wouldn't have felt as bad if they had hiked up the price a bit, but taking away about a third of the content really annoyed me:rolleyes: I felt sort of hard done by...so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's not put off by the price, he's put off by the fact they increased it for the races. It's his opinion and he's sharing it and warning others. In my opinion The Skeff is ripping people off. It's gouging customers to maximize profits for the week. The extra staff they have to put on, would be more than covered by the extra money spent in the place. So where is the justification in raising the prices?

It's greed at a time when most people can't afford to pay that bit extra. If I was on the dole I'd notice the euro more. If I worked in the city center and went there for a sandwich everyday I'd notice the 5 euro for the week. It's good to know.

It's also as I said in my opinion gouging. Galway is at a time when it needs to put it's best foot forward. During the Celtic Tiger (IMO) it became less tourist based, service went down the tubes and this kind of gouging started to happen. Now there's a noticeable change, with more focus on tourism but the likes of the hotels, restaurants and pubs like The Skeff that are around the town charging a crazy price will leave a bad taste in the mouth of visitors and in the end hurt the image of Galway as a whole.
    If i was on the dole i wouldnt be paying either price for food in a pub id be making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Petrol seems to have mysteriously crept up to 164.9 around town a full 9 cents more expensive than the cheapest in hte country which is in Mullingar at 155.9 , I doubt they are making a loss on it in Mullingar at that price either.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

I got all of that. It just gets to me the fact that people attribute ‘greed’ to raising the prices during one of the busiest weeks in the year for Galway. Of course they're trying to squeeze every last bit of profit out of it, that's the main objective of running a business, applying nonsensical consumer priniciples to that is pointless. I'm with the OP in him not buying the lunch because that's his thing, but complaining about it is a different story. Sure, there are under lying factors that might effect the Skeffs business in the future such as demand falling due to higher prices, a decrease in customer loyalty and the possibility of having to pay staff whatever extra they made from charging more — but that's the Skeff's problem.

As for things like that leaving a bad taste in the mouth for visitors, I'm sure most of them understand why the prices are up, all they have to do is look around; more people = increased propensity for people to consume. The visitors (should) know what they're in for during race week, the majority will be prepared for it. And having been to other towns and cities internationally during a big local event, the prices in Galway are on the better end of the price scale. You should see the prices in Dublin on a normal day...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've not really been in The Skeff since we went in to play the video games down the back circa 1980 but seriously 1 EURO?? Didn't see you complementing them when they were doing specials during the quiet months or when they were giving out free stuff during their food festival thing a month or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 helloghan

Update: My friend works in the skeff, says if you are a regular you get charged the normal 9.95. So if the OP had just waited in line, all this could have been avoided...

If i was on the dole i wouldnt be paying either price for food in a pub id be making my own.

Hey, I've never been on the dole. I assume it's not out of the realms of possibility that some people go out for lunch once a week. If you get sniped at for saying people on the dole shouldn't be going on nights out, I would think it's equally offensive to suggest they shouldn't be eating out once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

helloghan wrote: »
    Update: My friend works in the skeff, says if you are a regular you get charged the normal 9.95. So if the OP had just waited in line, all this could have been avoided...

So there's no new staff taken on, anyone serving would have recognised a regular? :p
    There's a hole in the bucket...

• Advertisement

I got all of that. It just gets to me the fact that people attribute ‘greed’ to raising the prices during one of the busiest weeks in the year for Galway. Of course they're trying to squeeze every last bit of profit out of it, that's the main objective of running a business, applying nonsensical consumer priniciples to that is pointless. I'm with the OP in him not buying the lunch because that's his thing, but complaining about it is a different story. Sure, there are under lying factors that might effect the Skeffs business in the future such as demand falling due to higher prices, a decrease in customer loyalty and the possibility of having to pay staff whatever extra they made from charging more — but that's the Skeff's problem.

As for things like that leaving a bad taste in the mouth for visitors, I'm sure most of them understand why the prices are up, all they have to do is look around; more people = increased propensity for people to consume. The visitors (should) know what they're in for during race week, the majority will be prepared for it. And having been to other towns and cities internationally during a big local event, the prices in Galway are on the better end of the price scale. You should see the prices in Dublin on a normal day...

All true, though comparing to Dublin is a bit of a stretch. The OP isn't the only one that's given out about the price increases. It was in local news leading up to the week. I worked in the city for years during race week, we had more people on and it was busier but the prices were not bumped up to capitalize on it. It's greed. Places were doing it when times were good and they are still doing it. So message from this is anybody who happens upon this when researching their trip to Galway this week. Avoid The Skeff, they are overcharging you.

Advertisement