Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race week overcharging in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Nailz wrote: »
    I got all of that. It just gets to me the fact that people attribute ‘greed’ to raising the prices during one of the busiest weeks in the year for Galway. Of course they're trying to squeeze every last bit of profit out of it, that's the main objective of running a business, applying nonsensical consumer priniciples to that is pointless. I'm with the OP in him not buying the lunch because that's his thing, but complaining about it is a different story. Sure, there are under lying factors that might effect the Skeffs business in the future such as demand falling due to higher prices, a decrease in customer loyalty and the possibility of having to pay staff whatever extra they made from charging more — but that's the Skeff's problem.

As for things like that leaving a bad taste in the mouth for visitors, I'm sure most of them understand why the prices are up, all they have to do is look around; more people = increased propensity for people to consume. The visitors (should) know what they're in for during race week, the majority will be prepared for it. And having been to other towns and cities internationally during a big local event, the prices in Galway are on the better end of the price scale. You should see the prices in Dublin on a normal day...
    If I'm a visitor to a town and I KNOW I'm getting screwed in a bar/ restaurant or where ever, I'm out of there. And I'm not going back. And I'll make it clear to to owner/manager as to why. Nobody should expect to get ripped off and nobody should accept it when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    All true, though comparing to Dublin is a bit of a stretch..

True, much better value to be got in Dublin, I guess it's down to harsh competition. I found Galway to be very very expensive during the VOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

All true, though comparing to Dublin is a bit of a stretch. The OP isn't the only one that's given out about the price increases. It was in local news leading up to the week. I worked in the city for years during race week, we had more people on and it was busier but the prices were not bumped up to capitalize on it. It's greed. Places were doing it when times were good and they are still doing it. So message from this is anybody who happens upon this when researching their trip to Galway this week. Avoid The Skeff, they are overcharging you.
    Although they're not overcharging you, they're charging you what the sign says, overcharging you would be walking up to the counter with a tray of food in your hand thinking it's going to be €11.95 and then charging you a euro extra, they're charging as advertised as far as I know from the OP, which is fair. I would have a problem if it didn't say it when the customers walked in.

I understand why your place of work charged the same as ever during previous races, keep the demand up, it's consistent, less confusing and it keeps its regulars in mind. In fact, if I was manager at the Skeff I would have done the same, but they felt that they could capitalise further by increasing the price, that's purely within reason. I can't see how it's greed, if that's greed then all means of profit-orientated business is greed, it's absurd to think that way particularly the week that is in it. It's like me applying greed to maintaining its original prices as it's turning over more due to increased demand; both methods are still fighting to reach the same goal.

I believe the greed principle is largely assigned to "the times that are in it" phenomenon, the fact that they don't actually have a gun pointed to your head forcing you to go in and pay €1 extra for a lunch in the Skeff throws that principle out the window. If you don't want to pay it, if you can't pay it, if you're economising and the euro makes a difference to you; then don't buy it, and the OP didn't. I have little care for who or how many people and media outlets whinge about the prices, some folks just love to have something to complain about. Although it could just be considered news...
    If I'm a visitor to a town and I KNOW I'm getting screwed in a bar/ restaurant or where ever, I'm out of there. And I'm not going back. And I'll make it clear to to owner/manager as to why. Nobody should expect to get ripped off and nobody should accept it when it does.
    Did you look at the prices before you went in and got "screwed" in this hypothetical situation? Then why the feck did you buy it? If you didn't then it's your own fault, and poor consumership too. Or do you just walk into random pubs and complain to the manager without buying anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

fair play to the OP.

There are plenty of extra people in town having lunch for them to make a profit - why take from their regulars also (who happen to keep the place afloat when the tourists are gone) If the OP had five lunches in the week, that would be a fiver extra he is paying for the week. How many other "regulars" are they fleecing with their "euro" extra for the same food.

Keep walking OP and I for one will not darken the door of the Skeff from now on.

Keep it real, people and stop biting the hand that feeds you for the rest of the year (pardon the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

First things first, this is not a vendetta against the Skeff. Not at all. If it was, "the Skeff" name would have been in the thread title ;)

I like the food, like the place, the staff are sound, general good atmosphere there. If it was any other business, I would've done the same.

This thread was intended to find out establishments that were increasing prices during race week.

JustMary wrote: »
    That's not overcharging.

Overcharging is if the signs said €10.95 for the food and €2 for the drink, and you got the till and were charged any more than €12.95, despite what the signs say.

Or maybe if they were charging €19.95 for the same meal and environment that everyone else in town was charging €10.95 for. (Technically this is price-gourging, but same difference really.)

What you experienced was prices rising to meet demand. That's called "economics". No different, really, to restaurants giving a discount to get people in on quiet nights in winter.

It's not a problem - unless they don't tell you about it. They told you, you took your demand elsewhere. That's the market operating as it should.

Fair enough Mary, I see your point. It was advertised at the higher prices, so that's not overcharging. When I saw the inflated prices, I left.

If anything, my description could've been better. Instead of overcharging, maybe I should've named this thread: "Race week price increasing in Galway"
    helloghan wrote: »
    Exactly. who cares whether it's 9.95 or 10.95? If it makes such a difference I suggest scanning the ground while you're in there, you might find a couple of 10 cents, be worthwhile...

I can also see the other side of it, being annoyed that the price is put up just for race week though. The more I think about it, the more I think, 'Yeah, I'd walk out too!' but I couldn't tell you why.

:rolleyes: My original post says:
    Col200sx wrote: »
    It's only €1 yes, but it's the principle

I've not really been in The Skeff since we went in to play the video games down the back circa 1980 but seriously 1 EURO?? Didn't see you complementing them when they were doing specials during the quiet months or when they were giving out free stuff during their food festival thing a month or so ago.

I didn't know they did free specials in the quiet months, or they gave out free stuff during the food festival. How could I compeliment something I knew nothing about :confused:
    Update: My friend works in the skeff, says if you are a regular you get charged the normal 9.95. So if the OP had just waited in line, all this could have been avoided...

So should I have: queued up, ordered my food, got to the till and even though I'd seen the price increase, assume I'd get a discount?

Don't think so.

FINALLY. If I paid the inflated price, said nothing, then came on here giving out stink about it, I'd be slated by everyone.

I did the right thing and voted with my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'd like to make it known that I do think that you have done what's right for you, Col, and I think that's cool. And of course you're not on a vendetta against the Skeff, nor do you intend to single it out, in fact I'm no less annoyed at your post but instead of the reaction the business is getting for attempting to maximise it's short term profit when the opportunity came about. I empathise with the fact that it is affecting a regular, such as yourself, it happens often here back where I come from when there is such events going on (I go to college in Galway) and it usual ends up with the price of drink and food being inflated too.

To most people, including yourself I'm assuming, that is disloyal to their regular customers, but really it is just consistent with the businesses' economic interests. Over race week there is bound to be greater demand, therefore there is going to be a shift in the short-term demand and supply curve, this being an aspect of neoclassical economics (sorry about this) meaning the price is to rise in order to maintain a typical level of supply for their customers without the need to take on other factors, such as bringing in more employees to work extra shifts. So I'm sympathetic to their means of doing business, if the business was to charge the old price to who they would deem as 'regulars' and another for race-goers and tourists, that's where I'd start to have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

€6.20 for a pint bottle of Bulmers in the Radisson last night.

Normally i'd have just walked away, but I got caught in a round and it was my turn so couldn't exactly vote with my feet.

Tell ya one thing, the schneaky naggin wasn't long coming out after that pint was consumed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Update: My friend works in the skeff, says if you are a regular you get charged the normal 9.95. So if the OP had just waited in line, all this could have been avoided...

I actually don't know what to say to that. Been looking at my computer screen in disbelief for the last 10 mins. If I was a non-regular and saw someone in front of me getting the exact same meal for less than what I was paying for it I'd be pretty pissed off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dantbyhid wrote: »
    I actually don't know what to say to that. Been looking at my computer screen in disbelief for the last 10 mins. If I was a non-regular and saw someone in front of me getting the exact same meal for less than what I was paying for it I'd be pretty pissed off. :(

I see old people get exactly the same <<whatever>> as I get while paying less all the time. And kids. And people with loyalty cards / staff discount cards / coupons.

But so long as the price I'm charged is no more than the advertised price, I get over it.

(Except in places like Woodies, where the goods are expensive, so the oldness-discount may be quite large. In that case, I've been know to take a friendly older person along to carry out the transaction for me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

dantbyhid wrote: »

A lot of towns i visited while travelling had a locals discount card type of system as a lot of the food and drink would be priced at tourists so slightly higher than normal the locals would then get a cheaper price on the food and drink. Didn't bother me and I was broke at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Having a discount/loyalty card is a bit different in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 helloghan

It happens all the time, what's the difference between giving a regular a slight difference on price, and a bartender serving a regular before someone else?

Do you get annoyed when bars give out free drinks at Christmas to regulars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

nuac wrote: »
    It is only a Euro during Race Week. Skeff had given good value for at least 50 years to my knowledge.

I presume during Races they have to get in extra staff etc

I presume during Race week they make a fúcking ton of money.

There is absolutely no excuse and it's sad that anyone would feel the need to make one for them.

I presume during Race week they make a fúcking ton of money.

There is absolutely no excuse and it's sad that anyone would feel the need to make one for them.

Yes they make a ton of money during race week, but the money they make during the summer has to balance out for all the months where they will lose money.

Revenue is very different from profit. What would you say if they needed this race week to go really well money wise to make a profit for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes they make a ton of money during race week, but the money they make during the summer has to balance out for all the months where they will lose money.

Revenue is very different from profit. What would you say if they needed this race week to go really well money wise to make a profit for the year?

If they are losing money at any stage of the year that's pretty bad management. If they aren't very busy then have less staff on, change things to suit their income...if they operate the way you suggest they are taking a huge gamble every summer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they are losing money at any stage of the year that's pretty bad management. If they aren't very busy then have less staff on, change things to suit their income...if they operate the way you suggest they are taking a huge gamble every summer

Most businesses here operate that way.

Some operating costs can be varied to suit busy-ness. But rent, rate, electricity etc don't quite work that way.

You are having a laugh if you think places like the Skeff run at a loss for the other 51 weeks of the year.

It's like people actually have a desire to get taken for mugs.

You are having a laugh if you think places like the Skeff run at a loss for the other 51 weeks of the year.

It's like people actually have a desire to get taken for mugs.

What are you basing your assumptions on? If you've been a bar owner or manager, or have worked in the skeff and have seen the balance sheets, please let us know and we can end the debate.

I'm not saying its a loss for the other 51 weeks of the year, but certain months during the business year you are going to lose money. Thats why if you ever open a store, you need money for the months where you wont cover expenditure (Heat, rent, rates etc.)

I'm pretty much playing the devils advocate here, but let's remember we're talking about a price change of one euro here. Me saying they need that to turn a profit is silly, just like anyone saying they're stealing and thieving over one euro is silly. It's a business, and if you ran one you'd do the exact same.

There's a lot of people who depend on the place to make a living. It would fiscally irresponsible of management to not make as much profit as they can, within reason. Raising the price of lunch for one euro, for one week, is totally reasonable.

Being eternally bent over will lead to back pains in later life.

Being eternally bent over will lead to back pains in later life.

I'll take that as zero experience in a bar or as a business owner then. Thanks for letting us all know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Nice to see the Celtic Tiger is still alive and kicking in this thread anyway. Listen lads. I've a couple of half acre sites down a bog road in Leitrim if any of ye are interested. 20 grand is what they're goin for, but for the weeks thats in it, I'll round them up to 50 grand for the two;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Why's that @fergiesfolly? Is there actually something happening in Leitrim?

Back to the actual topic title: A certain City Centre 'Boutique' hotel asked a customer of mine for 189 euro a night for the next three nights for a single room. He walked 50 yards up the road and got a double apartment for 50 a night. Same 'Boutique' hotel refused two locals entry last night because 'they weren't dressed'. Both looked perfectly presentable (not that I'm into that kind of rubbish) but he didn't have a tie or she a hat.
    I've a funny feeling it's going to be a long winter in that House.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why's that @fergiesfolly? Is there actually something happening in Leitrim?

Back to the actual topic title: A certain City Centre 'Boutique' hotel asked a customer of mine for 189 euro a night for the next three nights for a single room. He walked 50 yards up the road and got a double apartment for 50 a night. Same 'Boutique' hotel refused two locals entry last night because 'they weren't dressed'. Both looked perfectly presentable (not that I'm into that kind of rubbish) but he didn't have a tie or she a hat.
    I've a funny feeling it's going to be a long winter in that House.
    I see what you did there. ;) keep shtum eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Da Tang Noodle house have also increased their prices by 3 euro. :eek:

Will be less inclined to go back. Think they may be shooting them selves in the foot by increasing prices as I feel locals/regulars may not be so keen to go back. And its these locals/regulars that keep these business's going during the cold winter months!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GALWAYLAD777

Look, Ive lived in Galway all my life, its a lovely place, but G is for Galway and G is for Greed. The same old ones benefit from all these events that are dreamt up every now and again at the Galway Chamber of Commerce Meetings. You'll see their faces in the paper every week. Its copy and paste most of it.. Even if you live here all your life you have to pay tourist prices. Its a lovely place but they DO take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Look, Ive lived in Galway all my life, its a lovely place, but G is for Galway and G is for Greed. The same old ones benefit from all these events that are dreamt up every now and again at the Galway Chamber of Commerce Meetings. You'll see their faces in the paper every week. Its copy and paste most of it.. Even if you live here all your life you have to pay tourist prices. Its a lovely place but they DO take the piss.

Nail.on.head.

Couldnt agree more, same faces every week mutually financially masturbating each other.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Nail.on.head.

Couldnt agree more, same faces every week mutually financially masturbating each other.

Thanks, glad someone can see it besides me. Its just the same old who's who of Galway each week in the paper, most of the same ones have the businesses that rip people off too. Finnegans on market street, now theres value I find!! You wont leave there hungry or thirsty after spending only 6.50. trying to find value elsewhere is like trying to find a needle in a haystack unless you go to the living social website etc. The festivals are great for the town la la la... I see no direct benefit from this only to see vomit all over the streets and litter everywhere for the council workers to clean up. Galway is seriously running the risk of becoming a vulgar place to live with too many festivals. None of the "gang" give a **** once their pockets are well lined. Just rip off everyone including the locals in the process...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What are you basing your assumptions on? If you've been a bar owner or manager, or have worked in the skeff and have seen the balance sheets, please let us know and we can end the debate.

I'm not saying its a loss for the other 51 weeks of the year, but certain months during the business year you are going to lose money. Thats why if you ever open a store, you need money for the months where you wont cover expenditure (Heat, rent, rates etc.)

I'm pretty much playing the devils advocate here, but let's remember we're talking about a price change of one euro here. Me saying they need that to turn a profit is silly, just like anyone saying they're stealing and thieving over one euro is silly. It's a business, and if you ran one you'd do the exact same.

There's a lot of people who depend on the place to make a living. It would fiscally irresponsible of management to not make as much profit as they can, within reason. Raising the price of lunch for one euro, for one week, is totally reasonable.

Unless of course the people of Galway reacted in the way many other towns would and stopped being loyal to places that rip them off. Ya see Joyces being done repeatedly for ripping people off, selling bad meat etc. Yet they expand because people still shop there. Dunnes Stores in Terryland is a hellhole, people still shop there.

I have a friend who had their bank account with Ulster Bank and she said the computer issue could happen to anyone, these things happen.

If people don't have standards, we'll continue to get shafted by these Galway 'institutions'

Also The Skeff has been around for a long time. I doubt they are renting, I also highly doubt they need to cover themselves for slow months. The place is busy at lunch time during the week, gets a decent number of students, crowds for matches, has fewer competition for hotel rooms, gets hen nights and stags out the ass and is poppin' every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If a place like Subway or McDonalds upped their prices for Race Week would you be defending them too?

JustMary wrote: »
    That's not overcharging.

Overcharging is if the signs said €10.95 for the food and €2 for the drink, and you got the till and were charged any more than €12.95, despite what the signs say.

Or maybe if they were charging €19.95 for the same meal and environment that everyone else in town was charging €10.95 for. (Technically this is price-gourging, but same difference really.)

What you experienced was prices rising to meet demand. That's called "economics". No different, really, to restaurants giving a discount to get people in on quiet nights in winter.

It's not a problem - unless they don't tell you about it. They told you, you took your demand elsewhere. That's the market operating as it should.

Look, thats exactly the problem, as soon as the crowds flock for these events its sod the rest of us regular customers, they just put up the prices accross the board and thats it. Its may be economics but its not great economics as they have just lost a regular customer. Good on you for walking out. Try Finnegans on Market Street. Its cheap and cheerful and you wont be ripped off in my own personal experience.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galwegians will still go to the places that do 'tourist prices'.
    How long have the races been in Ballybrit? Plus Galway has a huge transient population right throughout the year that don't have a stake in the community.

Advertisement