Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race week overcharging in Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 helloghan

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Unless of course the people of Galway reacted in the way many other towns would and stopped being loyal to places that rip them off. Ya see Joyces being done repeatedly for ripping people off, selling bad meat etc. Yet they expand because people still shop there. Dunnes Stores in Terryland is a hellhole, people still shop there.

I have a friend who had their bank account with Ulster Bank and she said the computer issue could happen to anyone, these things happen.

If people don't have standards, we'll continue to get shafted by these Galway 'institutions'

Also The Skeff has been around for a long time. I doubt they are renting, I also highly doubt they need to cover themselves for slow months. The place is busy at lunch time during the week, gets a decent number of students, crowds for matches, has fewer competition for hotel rooms, gets hen nights and stags out the ass and is poppin' every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If a place like Subway or McDonalds upped their prices for Race Week would you be defending them too?

The issues you mention are very different from raising a price by one euro. The fact of the matter is, neither can possible know the situation for sure. The place has sister businesses in other counties, you said you don't think they pay rent, and they have been there a long time - Must be expensive for upkeep, it being so old and all.

The skeff owner / manager is an entrepreneur, and saw a chance to increase his profits. Thats all thats happened. If people put themselves in his/her shoes, I think they would do the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

helloghan wrote: »
    If people put themselves in his/her shoes, I think they would do the same thing.

While your assumption would be wrong in this case, judging by the replies in this thread it's sadly quite accurate in general.

Sometimes I think this country deserves it's recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The issues you mention are very different from raising a price by one euro. The fact of the matter is, neither can possible know the situation for sure. The place has sister businesses in other counties, you said you don't think they pay rent, and they have been there a long time - Must be expensive for upkeep, it being so old and all.

The skeff owner / manager is an entrepreneur, and saw a chance to increase his profits. Thats all thats happened. If people put themselves in his/her shoes, I think they would do the same thing.

If somewhere like Subway or McDonalds jacked up the price by a euro for the week would your reaction be the same?

While your assumption would be wrong in this case, judging by the replies in this thread it's sadly quite accurate in general.

Sometimes I think this country deserves it's recession.

Is that like how you think prices being raised by one euro is equivalent to being raped?
    Being eternally bent over will lead to back pains in later life.

If somewhere like Subway or McDonalds jacked up the price by a euro for the week would your reaction be the same?

Honestly, I couldn't give a toss because it's one euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Unless of course the people of Galway reacted in the way many other towns would and stopped being loyal to places that rip them off. Ya see Joyces being done repeatedly for ripping people off, selling bad meat etc. Yet they expand because people still shop there. Dunnes Stores in Terryland is a hellhole, people still shop there.

I have a friend who had their bank account with Ulster Bank and she said the computer issue could happen to anyone, these things happen.

If people don't have standards, we'll continue to get shafted by these Galway 'institutions'

Also The Skeff has been around for a long time. I doubt they are renting, I also highly doubt they need to cover themselves for slow months. The place is busy at lunch time during the week, gets a decent number of students, crowds for matches, has fewer competition for hotel rooms, gets hen nights and stags out the ass and is poppin' every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If a place like Subway or McDonalds upped their prices for Race Week would you be defending them too?

I don't see what Ulster bank has to do with your comments. Yes, they had problems for a month - they did make sure to compensate the accounts tho - tell your friend to check. I would also like to point out that the reason people have stayed with Ulster bank is because they don't charge you every time you use your card or make a transaction, unlike the two biggest Irish banks here who were dipping into account whenever they saw fit to take "charges" for you banking with them in the first place.

I'll take Ulster bank anytime.

oh, by the way. my neighbour had a couple of students coming to stay at her place - they got a taxi at the train station and went out to Ballymooneen road - charge.....50 Euro.

Galway at its finest. But hey, I'm sure the "taximan" was just trying to make a profit on race week - whats a few extra euro. Hope nobody will go crazy about this now, its entrepreneurship. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

50 euro is crazy money for that trip, 15 max - if even.
    Hope they got a receipt to show the taxi regulator.

biko wrote: »
    50 euro is crazy money for that trip, 15 max - if even.
    Hope they got a receipt to show the taxi regulator.

no, by the time they got into the neighbour and told them, the "taxi" had disappeared - because they were foreign, they thought it was quite normal. Never had even entered the head of the neighbour that they could have been ripped off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

One more example.. I work for a multi national based in Galway that does a lot of business with a prominent city centre hotel. The company would have people staying there most of the time, and sometimes up to 30 or 40 at a time and that often in the depths of winter. Last week it so happened that there were a few visitors around during race week, and they were asked for over three times the usual price for the Wednesday and Thursday, even with a corporate discount. I'm glad to say they were told to shove it and the visitors stayed in another hotel that charged reasonable prices.

Hopefully, their stupid short term profiteering will see them lose a substantial amount of business in future. This behaviour will only change once people make a stand and stop using those that are digging the arm in.

Totally agree on the comments about Finnegans by the way- great value, even on soft drinks, which is a very rare thing indeed.

• Advertisement

Is that like how you think prices being raised by one euro is equivalent to being raped?
    Do you have Aspergers or something? Lern2idiom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I think the word you were actually looking for was cute hoor.
    Although judging by many Galway business's maybe the Irish definition of entrepreneur is screw people for as much as you can get away with.

Do you have Aspergers or something? Lern2idiom

Lern2speell

Better yet, learn how to construct an arguement. Instead of trying to say I have aspergers, why don't you try and prove me wrong? Oh yeah, you can't as you have no experience owning a business or working in a bar. But you're entitled to your opinions, even if they're based on nothing but guesswork.

Lern2speell

Better yet, learn how to construct an arguement.
    Well for starts the spelling was intentional, bit of an internet meme and so on.

Secondly, it's a-r-g-u-m-e-n-t
    Instead of trying to say I have aspergers, why don't you try and prove me wrong?
    I didn't try to say it, I asked you if you did because from what I've heard, people with Aspergers syndrome often struggle with sayings and may sometimes take them literally.
    Oh yeah, you can't as you have no experience owning a business or working in a bar.
    I must have missed the part where I posted my CV for your analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

helloghan/BhoscaCapall - chill the jets.

Don't worry biko, I'm finished with this thread

I'm still really angry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I remember when a famous restaurant in Clarinbridge was charging 10 euro for a chowder. probably is not anymore but if people piiiss their money way.

THe G is supposed to have jacked up its prices.

Advertisement