Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper to live in Kildare and commute to Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 doc19827

An absolutely horrible commute. You are at the mercy of two forms of public transport. I don't know how somebody could willingly design their life around that commute.

you obviously have it handy!

that commute wouldnt bother me in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

doc19827 wrote: »
    you obviously have it handy!

that commute wouldnt bother me in the slightest

Taking my priority's into account, I would personally prefer to spend more time with my child and wife every day then have to spend huge portions of my time travelling for the perceived belief that my child is somehow in a better position being placed into a area with limited resources, schooling options and a lower socioeconomic climate.

But considering the tone of your previous posts, you have already made up your mind about that so I don't see the point in bothering.

Taking my priority's into account, I would personally prefer to spend more time with my child and wife every day then have to spend huge portions of my time travelling for the perceived belief that my child is somehow in a better position being placed into a area with limited resources, schooling options and a lower socioeconomic climate.

But considering the tone of your previous posts, you have already made up your mind about that so I don't see the point in bothering.

You obviously aren’t aware that it takes 20/30 mins on the train and 10 minutes to my office door on the bus.....

Now that to me is not a bad commute..... I can only imagine for sure that it takes at least 40 mins for a lot of the people of Dublin and its suburbs to get into work every day??

And before you go commenting on my parenting organization skills you might actually read the post properly.

I explained that My partner and child are in Limerick and are making the move to be together as a family and that we are looking for a place that’s affordable, accessible to Dublin and would have services/amenities.

The last time I checked Naas, Cellbridge etc had everything you could possibly want.

Do they not have schools there?

I don’t know what your situation is , but one salary coming into a household isn’t that easy and there is a big difference in rental costs between Kildare and Dublin so in future you might keep your smarmy condescending comments to yourself before you go judging others.

Anyway as I said in my initial post, I would much prefer to raise a family outside of Dublin and I’m sure lots of other people from "The country" would agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

You obviously aren’t aware that it takes 20/30 mins on the train and 10 minutes to my office door on the bus.....
    Door to door it would be at the very least an hour of a commute which will vary depending on delayed trains and buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

doc19827 wrote: »
    Anyway as I said in my initial post, I would much prefer to raise a family outside of Dublin and I’m sure lots of other people from "The country" would agree.

Only if they didn't actually know Dublin very well, tbh. I'm from Limerick too and when I was younger I thought Dublin was a terrible place to raise a family unless you had a very high income. But then I moved to Dublin and realised I hadn't a clue. Dublin is basically a mid-sized city centre surrounded by many suburbs that have grown up around pre-existing villages and towns. Many of these areas still have distinct village feels and the vibe is almost semi-rural, while giving you the advantage of living near the city.

We rent a house in Templeouge for just over a grand a month and it's a beautiful cottage overlooking a big green and river, a short walk along that river to one of Dublin's nicest parks, imo. It's a couple of minutes walk from the village with a really nice GP, pub-restaurant, a couple of other restaurants, a cafe, etc. A few minutes walk in the other direction has a large shopping centre with a big Tesco. My husband usually cycles to work which takes him about 20-35 minutes depending on where he's working. We have fairly unlimited off-street parking and all the neighbours know each other and get along really well. It's only got 2 bedrooms but the livingroom is massive by Irish standards, it has a big kitchen-diner and a lovely big back garden that's not overlooked by anyone and a decent sized front garden making it really private, so despite close relationships with most of our neighbours it's not claustrophobic.

You'd be really, really hard pressed to find anything even remotely as nice for raising a child in for that outlay in Kildare, especially once you take your travel costs into account. It also means an extra hour to hour and a half a day that my husband gets to spend at home, which is utterly invaluable. Especially when you have a new baby. I also think you also have an idealised idea of the lifestyle available to you in Kildare. Yes there are still some lovely places to live there but you will pay a lot more for them. For the most part the areas you mentioned are full of large housing estates that are no nicer a place to raise a family than any large housing a estate in any Dublin suburb and a lot less nice than a lot of the Dublin villages.

My suggestion is, if you don't know Dublin well do your research and don't dismiss it out of hand because you could have a much, much better standard of living in a nearby village suburb than you would in a more distant commuter area. Look in the pleasant areas that are as near as possible to your work and be careful about accepting asking rents as an indication of what you can get for your money if you are careful. Keep a constant eye on what's for rent on every site that has rentals, include gumtree and adverts in your searches, because the really good houses don't stay long on the market.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Only if they didn't actually know Dublin very well, tbh. I'm from Limerick too and when I was younger I thought Dublin was a terrible place to raise a family unless you had a very high income. But then I moved to Dublin and realised I hadn't a clue. Dublin is basically a mid-sized city centre surrounded by many suburbs that have grown up around pre-existing villages and towns. Many of these areas still have distinct village feels and the vibe is almost semi-rural, while giving you the advantage of living near the city.

We rent a house in Templeouge for just over a grand a month and it's a beautiful cottage overlooking a big green and river, a short walk along that river to one of Dublin's nicest parks, imo. It's a couple of minutes walk from the village with a really nice GP, pub-restaurant, a couple of other restaurants, a cafe, etc. A few minutes walk in the other direction has a large shopping centre with a big Tesco. My husband usually cycles to work which takes him about 20-35 minutes depending on where he's working. We have fairly unlimited off-street parking and all the neighbours know each other and get along really well. It's only got 2 bedrooms but the livingroom is massive by Irish standards, it has a big kitchen-diner and a lovely big back garden that's not overlooked by anyone and a decent sized front garden making it really private, so despite close relationships with most of our neighbours it's not claustrophobic.

You'd be really, really hard pressed to find anything even remotely as nice for raising a child in for that outlay in Kildare, especially once you take your travel costs into account. It also means an extra hour to hour and a half a day that my husband gets to spend at home, which is utterly invaluable. Especially when you have a new baby. I also think you also have an idealised idea of the lifestyle available to you in Kildare. Yes there are still some lovely places to live there but you will pay a lot more for them. For the most part the areas you mentioned are full of large housing estates that are no nicer a place to raise a family than any large housing a estate in any Dublin suburb and a lot less nice than a lot of the Dublin villages.

My suggestion is, if you don't know Dublin well do your research and don't dismiss it out of hand because you could have a much, much better standard of living in a nearby village suburb than you would in a more distant commuter area. Look in the pleasant areas that are as near as possible to your work and be careful about accepting asking rents as an indication of what you can get for your money if you are careful. Keep a constant eye on what's for rent on every site that has rentals, include gumtree and adverts in your searches, because the really good houses don't stay long on the market.

Hi Iguana

Thanks for the very informative and useful mail….
    I actually really enjoy living in Dublin, ive live here for the last year, love my job and I’m currently living in the city centre in a great apt, walk to work in 15 mins every day and am near everything……

However my circumstances have now changed with the arrival of my little girl and to me the most important thing is for the three of us to be together….As your well aware there is no jobs in Limerick so the best option was for my partner who works in IT to move up and give it a shot

We are both paying two rents which is crazy

Im sure you appreciate that a Dublin city centre apt with steps etc is no place for a newborn (that’s my opinion, everyone to their own!)

I completely value all of the above and if circumstances were different I would have no hesitation in renting in a nice Dublin suburb…

I have done a good bit of research on the rental market at present and I would be doing very well in getting a nice house in or around €1,000, Im surprised by the lack of quality houses on the rental market at the moment….probably a bad time of the year too for looking with students, teachers etc….

We have decided not to rush into anything but are trying to be organized all the same.

We both lived in the Naas area about 6 years ago and found it be a lovely town so that was one of the reasons in our thinking naas/sallins.
    And obviously the train access sprang to mind.
    The other is that a nice decent house is between 3/400 euro cheaper than a nice house in Dublin…..thats what I have found

Now my partner will be on unpaid leave until she finds work and I’m not exactly earning a doctors salary so the finances will have to be carefully planned !!

That gets to my next point…childcare is also cheaper in kildare than Dublin (again from the research I have done )

And also my partner can travel to and from Limerick in a very handy manner!!

Currently I am getting the train down to limerick every fri and up again at 6.20 train in the morning on a Monday to be at my desk at 9.15 although its only twice a week, It really doesn’t bother me, so really 50 to 60 mins commute every morning surely couldn’t be that much of a hindrance!!

I don’t want to sound a know it all but I remember staying at my sisters in templeogue and it used to take at least an hour to get into the city on the bus??…more if I’m mistaken, that was a long time ago so it has probably all changed !!

I stayed in my sisters in Swords for a bit too and it took an hour each morning on an express bus!! More on the way home!!

I will defo keep an eye on all rentals and keep my mind open about Dublin but being honeet there is even a big difference in prices between Leixlip and cellbridge so the further in you go the inevitable im sure will happen

I suppose I came on here looking for something positive about commuting from north kildare but everyone is entitled to their speak so points taken across the board….

The only thing is are these points based on knowledge/experience or just what they think???

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

I would say go with Naas. Moved from Dublin (Rathcoole) to there several years ago. I also have a small child under 5 and find it fantastic, Large Park in Monread but multiple playgrounds around the town, Canal for Walks etc, On the commuting side the bus to Dublin City was taking in excess of an hour and 15 to hour and half unless I took the express to get into the City with its run around Clondalkin and all the stops on the way, in contrast Bus Eireann is a lot quicker for me although more expensive.

A lot of posts on here seem to be verging on its not Dublin so its no good, especially the comment on its being a lower Social Ecomonic Enviroment which Naas is certainly not, Naas also has the newly built education campus at Pipers Hill which has an educate together, Gaelscoil and on the Dublin Side the there is two Pirmary Schools a ten minute walk from Monread, Morell area both on the Sallins Road. The train also has a free feederbus that picks up in Naas so you don't actually need to drive to the station.

Re Celbridge/Maynooth, Nice towns, Celbridge is just too small for me as Rathcoole was, Maynooth is nice also but lacks character I feel. As you said being on the N7 that bit out of Dublin will shorten your commute to Limrick rather than spending time getting from Maynooth over the the N4.

I would say go with Naas. Moved from Dublin (Rathcoole) to there several years ago. I also have a small child under 5 and find it fantastic, Large Park in Monread but multiple playgrounds around the town, Canal for Walks etc, On the commuting side the bus to Dublin City was taking in excess of an hour and 15 to hour and half unless I took the express to get into the City with its run around Clondalkin and all the stops on the way, in contrast Bus Eireann is a lot quicker for me although more expensive.

A lot of posts on here seem to be verging on its not Dublin so its no good, especially the comment on its being a lower Social Ecomonic Enviroment which Naas is certainly not, Naas also has the newly built education campus at Pipers Hill which has an educate together, Gaelscoil and on the Dublin Side the there is two Pirmary Schools a ten minute walk from Monread, Morell area both on the Sallins Road. The train also has a free feederbus that picks up in Naas so you don't actually need to drive to the station.

Re Celbridge/Maynooth, Nice towns, Celbridge is just too small for me as Rathcoole was, Maynooth is nice also but lacks character I feel. As you said being on the N7 that bit out of Dublin will shorten your commute to Limrick rather than spending time getting from Maynooth over the the N4.

Thanks for that Peter, finally some positive replys!!!

I got the train down to limerick this evening, was at sallins in 20 mins from Heuston!!

we have looked at houses in craddockstown and to see a few in monread?

any tips with regards locations in or around naas? I know the monread is a large area, any estates to avoid etc???

Also with regards the shuttle bus do you know where it picks up or does it actually have several stops as i read previous??

Cheers Peter

Advertisement