Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Switch Question

Options
  • 01-08-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

If I take a line from my UPC router upstairs, connect it to a 5 port switch, and then use that switch to feed 5 different devices, will i receive the same bandwidth from those devices as I would the devices connected directly to the router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes but you would need a six port switch as one of the ports would be taken up with the cable from router.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If you use a gigabit switch and if all devices are not downloading at full capacity at the one time then you should get the same from each individually.
    As FSL says you will need a cable point for the link back to the UPC box also so with 5 devices you will need a 6 way switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

FSL wrote: »
    Yes but you would need a six port switch as one of the ports would be taken up with the cable from router.
    Xantia wrote: »
    If you use a gigabit switch and if all devices are not downloading at full capacity at the one time then you should get the same from each individually.
    As FSL says you will need a cable point for the link back to the UPC box also so with 5 devices you will need a 6 way switch.

cheers lads, the 5 point switch thing was just an example, I think the switch I have is actually a gigabit 8pointer.

Wiring up the house and dont want to be bringing 8 cables upstairs when I can get away with just the 1!

Cheers again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The total bandwidth for the switch would be limited by the uplink bandwidth to the UPC router, is the UPC router gigabit? Otherwise this limit would be 100mbit

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The total bandwidth for the switch would be limited by the uplink bandwidth to the UPC router, is the UPC router gigabit? Otherwise this limit would be 100mbit

yup, its one of the new ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jameshayes wrote: »
    yup, its one of the new ones

It's pretty decent then so. Your hard drive speed will most likely be the limit.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's pretty decent then so. Your hard drive speed will most likely be the limit.

my lack of networking knowledge will no doubt be the limit!

Advertisement