Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012: Why is Cork city still so anglicised?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Cork people have much more to prove about their Irish-Ireland and Irish republican credentials.

much to prove to who :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

St Patrick's Street.

/thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

As we don't have an inferiority complex like the rest of the country we could nae give a ****e about what a street is called or any other symbols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

To be fair, i've never seen a troll with so many posts before. Troll they be though. Now stop feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I usually don't quote Monty Python this much but this came to mind, about as sensible too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My PhD in History and I are far to busy drinking Pimm's, playing cricket, and shouting huzzah! huzzah! every time Her majesty appears on TV to respond just now to the fountain of tosh which as spewed forth in this thread.

Obviously this person as issues about Cork. That is understandable. Many people have issues about not being from Cork. Scorn not their simplicity.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

smcgiff wrote: »
    To be fair, i've never seen a troll with so many posts before. Troll they be though. Now stop feeding.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Ah yes the Queens visit, how we've "moved on". Moved on to what though? As a republican I never experienced such harassment in the lead up to that visit. Usually we peacefully go about our business, have our protests etc, the guards give us some dirty looks and we all go home. This was different though, I had my details taken under the prevention of terrorism act 3 times in the week leading up to the visit. One of these times the details were taken by a foreign police officer working with the gardaí. Several people were told that they would be arrested if they set foot in the city centre that day, others had anti-visit material confiscated in the lead up to the march. One lad had a garda car parked outside his gaff for the whole day of the visit so he could not leave.

Queen visits, everyone who disagrees is deemed a dangerous terrorist. How progressive. We've really "moved on".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Threads like this remind us how some people certainly have not moved on. Those streets were named years upon years ago, do you really think it's practical or worthwhile renaiming them all now?

Thankfully as the generations progress this backward nonsense becomes less and less relevent and happily the majority of Cork people don't lie awake at night cursing the names of the streets. It obviously troubles you greatly which is frankly odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

We got rid of the queens old castle. What more do you want?

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    We got rid of the queens old castle. What more do you want?

Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Where was that?

down by Gerry Adams Steet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The type of people who turn up to visits by foreign celebs dignitaries wouldn't really be indicative of the general populace* of Cork in my estimation. I'd imagine many of the same people would have turned up if Beyoncé was visiting the English market.

I personally find the idea of people being born into privilege repugnant and would have absolutely no interest wasting my time going to watch Mrs Windsor or anyone like her.

*Apart from some archaic royalists and quasi-Unionists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Where was that?
    Look at the Cork crest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbDA_z1jMCJDlIwXWxVt4BESM1eAzk14R8M7N_nqr2nGsHazwlgg

On the left is The King's Castle but the site was re-named The Queen's old Castle, which was where the music shop and Argos was/is and on the right is The Queen's Castle, the ship is on what is now Castle street.
    A main entrance to the old city, now North and South Main streets (hence the names).

The Queens Old Castle shopping centre was around till fairly recently, then it became The Virgin Mega store/Argos/Zimbo.

Thanks, never ever took any notice of that before.

By the way, went past the The Archway on Saturday , this a sorry sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

By the way, went past the The Archway on Saturday , this a sorry sight
    Hic.....drool :)

Since Cork City was founded by Vikings I demand we rename all our streets after Norse gods and famous Vikings immediately.

We should have Thor Street, Odin Parade and Olaf Bloodaxe Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Anyone for tea on Bronn-atop-the-piled-dead Lane?

Sarky wrote: »
    Anyone for tea on Bronn-atop-the-piled-dead Lane?

I would but I'm meeting Betty for tiffin in Egill Skallagrímsson Plaza :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Wow this thread is still going.

Look Rebelheart if you want a street named after you just ask, I think thats what you really want :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Why is this person claiming to know what goes on in Cork (as if where you're from and its history defines your personality/character) people's heads?

And this "Cork people" stuff - intriguing how they know them all.

Onixx wrote: »
    Why is this person claiming to know what goes on in Cork (as if where you're from and its history defines your personality/character) people's heads?

And this "Cork people" stuff - intriguing how they know them all.

As far as I can determine the OP was told when a small child by an unnamed source that Cork is/was the centre of the Irish republican/nationalist firmament so in 2012 he came on a pilgrimage where he spent the day reading the names and examining the architecture of streets. And lo, he did discover that Cork has utterly failed to demolish any building not constructed only according to some non-existent native Irish civic architecture post 1922 (Buildings constructed in the 60s/70s would be the one's I'd personally swing a wrecking ball at) and has failed to change the name of every single street to a more appropriately jingoistic one.

OP has concluded that Cork, therefore, is Anglo having failing to consider that for many hundreds of years Cork was under Anglo rule and reflects this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ireland has placenames reflecting previous governing powers, in the exact same way every other country does.
    Comparing a lack of Irish nationalist place names in Britain is ridiculous. British placenames reflect the history of its own governing powers from Roman to Viking to Norman. Is the Fact that London's still called London somehow proof of their desire to give up soverignty and rejoin the Roman empire. Parts of Wales have place names deriving from Irish tribes who occupied the area way back.

As for the reception the British monarchy recieved, I being in possession of two full and complete shoulders dont have any issue with it. That the British monarchy finally came to Ireland on a state visit shows a recognition and acceptance of Irish nationhood and a step along in achieving harmonius relations as two independant nations on an equal footing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Let's seen now, here in Cork our grand and great-grandparents actually picked up weapons, fought, died and gave great sacrifices to help give us the right to govern ourselves, sacrifices that many around the country were not willing to make, yet getting out a pot of paint and changing a few street names is considered more important to this so called Rebelheart.
    Ha Ha ha!!!! :D:D ROFL Oh.... my sides are aching, please stop.

Whatever about your juvenile post, it's highly improbable that the people who, as you put it, "fought, died and gave great sacrifices to help give us the right to govern ourselves" would be impressed with apologists like you who are quite happy to live in a city which has betrayed the ideals of Irish cultural independence that they fought for. And that's just looking at your horrendously English royalist streetnames, your "lord" mayor and your eagerness to highlight the welcome which your city apparently gave to the British monarch last year.

For all your personal professions of Irishness and republicanism on other fora here, many of which are caustically expressed, it's quite revealing how you can act as an apologist for the royalist culture down there in Cork simply because it is the culture of your local area. That's local tribalism, not Irish republicanism. It's not much different to the troglodytes in Mayo, Tipperary or Kerry who support Flynn, Lowry and O'Donoghue respectively simply because they are "one of their own". Pathetic.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    much to prove to who :confused:

Whom. To the Irish, obviously. You've done a great job proving your Englishness to the English. You have now, finally, entered English civilisation. Now, time to grow out of that need to "prove" something to the English. It's a hangover from a 19th century power dynamic in Ireland.
    As we don't have an inferiority complex like the rest of the country

You certainly spend a considerable time talking about some local "real capital" nonsense. And, unlike teenagers elsewhere, Cork people seem to go on with their local idiosyncrasy well into adulthood. Moreover, if you've no inferiority complex, why are you still aping Dublin, which apes London, in your streetnames and civic culture? Why do you have a "lord" mayor in 2012, when Cork had a humble 'mayor' for almost 700 years before that? Why is that non-royalist history ignored by all our self-declared Cork "historians" who cry "I would never deny history - I'm a historian!"?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My PhD in History...

I get the distinct impression the purpose of your latest bombastic, verbose post was the above. The way I see it is 1) claiming a PhD in history from an Irish university can, with a look at the poster's other posts, make that poster easily identifiable, so I can't imagine any genuinely intelligent poster claiming one online, and 2) With John A Murphy and self-declared British unionists like Geoffrey Roberts as potential internal examiners in UCC's School of History, people are passing their viva by virtue of their hostility to Irish-Ireland. And in your case I'd say on this count you passed with flying colours.

Although, given your numerous spelling mistakes and the general sense of crowd-playing mediocre intelligence which you convey, I'd say if it happened it was passed 'subject to minor corrections", where 'minor' meant entire rewrites.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    That the British monarchy finally came to Ireland on a state visit shows a recognition and acceptance of Irish nationhood and a step along in achieving harmonius relations as two independant nations on an equal footing.

This is right-sounding bullshít. You've all just heard it so much in the media, spouted by journalists and "commentators" who generally have drink problems and are paid by Sir Anthony O'Reilly, that you believe it.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I get the distinct impression the purpose of your latest bombastic, verbose post was the above. The way I see it is 1) claiming a PhD in history from an Irish university can, with a look at the poster's other posts, make that poster easily identifiable, so I can't imagine any genuinely intelligent poster claiming one online, and 2) With John A Murphy and self-declared British unionists like Geoffrey Roberts as potential internal examiners in UCC's School of History, people are passing their viva by virtue of their hostility to Irish-Ireland. And in your case I'd say on this count you passed with flying colours.

Although, given your numerous spelling mistakes and the general sense of crowd-playing mediocre intelligence which you convey, I'd say if it happened it was passed 'subject to minor corrections", where 'minor' meant entire rewrites.

Would you like to supersize that chip on your shoulder?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Since Cork City was founded by Vikings I demand we rename all our streets after Norse gods and famous Vikings immediately.

We should have Thor Street, Odin Parade and Olaf Bloodaxe Mall.

You wouldn't have to if the English had done it. Instructively, the English named their Cork streets after heroes of their colonial world, not of a former one. In fact, they renamed the vast majority of Viking placenames in Cork (Keyser's Hill being one of the few exceptions). Well done, Cork people, on keeping the heroes of the English colonial world alive and well today. At least the English have their own heroes. Fair play to them. Cork people in 2012, however, seem to be stuck finding their own heroes to replace all these English ones in their streetnames.

Cath Chéim an Fhia Street? Eoghan Rua Ó Súilleabháin Street? Seán Clárach Mac Dónaill Street? Kilmichael Street? Crossbarry Street? And so on ad infinitum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd settle for a Rebelheart post that wasn't insufferably dull.

Advertisement