Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012: Why is Cork city still so anglicised?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Would you like to supersize that chip on your shoulder?

Is that the best you can do?

Sarky wrote: »
    Is settle for a Rebelheart post that wasn't insufferably dull.

English, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Whom. To the Irish, obviously. You've done a great job proving your Englishness to the English. You have now, finally, entered English civilisation. Now, time to grow out of that need to "prove" something to the English. It's a hangover from a 19th century power dynamic in Ireland.

What drivel :)

Honestly who writes shit like this :D

We have more to be worried about that than your rambling. Night :pac:

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What drivel :)

Honestly who writes shit like this :D

We have more to be worried about that than your rambling. Night :pac:

Goodnight, jaykay74. I can only hope that when you get up tomorrow morning you will receive heaps of 'thanks' for your wonderfully erudite, thoughtful and crisp response. Because it must be fairly crap making obvious thanks whore comments and not being thanked. Codladh sámh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

4 years, nearly 3,000 posts and you still haven't learned how to use the multi-quote feature?

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    4 years, nearly 3,000 posts and you still haven't learned how to use the multi-quote feature?

Or else I have, but I'm increasingly aware of the, well, comprehension level of posters like yourself so breaking it up into small posts seems the only way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Whatever about your juvenile post, it's highly improbable that the people who, as you put it, "fought, died and gave great sacrifices to help give us the right to govern ourselves" would be impressed with apologists like you who are quite happy to live in a city which has betrayed the ideals of Irish cultural independence that they fought for. And that's just looking at your horrendously English royalist streetnames, your "lord" mayor and your eagerness to highlight the welcome which your city apparently gave to the British monarch last year.

For all your personal professions of Irishness and republicanism on other fora here, many of which are caustically expressed, it's quite revealing how you can act as an apologist for the royalist culture down there in Cork simply because it is the culture of your local area. That's local tribalism, not Irish republicanism. It's not much different to the troglodytes in Mayo, Tipperary or Kerry who support Flynn, Lowry and O'Donoghue respectively simply because they are "one of their own". Pathetic.
    Ha ha ha!!! Oh my god you are so funny. :D

I genuinely can't believe any who posts such utter nonsense could actually be serious. I mean if it was full of the grammatical mistakes of a 5 year old then I might think you were serious, in the naivety of childhood and all that, but since you don't seem to be a kiddie then you just can't be serious, because no adult is that daft. Good job though, I'll bet you are suceeding in annoying some people, not that many though judging from the replies you're getting. ;)

"Live in a City"?? "Your City" "Your this and that" since when was Cork city in W'Cork.
    Seems you are unaware of even the most basic geography of this area, Ahhh Bless.

Here to help you with further posts about Cork.
    W'Cork is the bit on the left, from around Clonakilty/Macroom onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think we can now name a street after Katie taylor :D

Ha ha ha!!! Oh my god you are so funny. :D

I genuinely can't believe any who posts such utter nonsense could actually be serious. I mean if it was full of the grammatical mistakes of a 5 year old then I might think you were serious, in the naivety of childhood and all that, but since you don't seem to be a kiddie then you just can't be serious, because no adult is that daft. Good job though, I'll bet you are suceeding in annoying some people, not that many though judging from the replies you're getting. ;)

"Live in a City"?? "Your City" "Your this and that" since when was Cork city in W'Cork.
    Seems you are unaware of even the most basic geography of this area, Ahhh Bless.

Here to help you with further posts about Cork.
    W'Cork is the bit on the left, from around Clonakilty/Macroom onwards.

You're losing the run of yourself there. Too many erratic exclamation and questions marks. Deep breaths. Come back when you've constructed a coherent argument, preferably ad rem. Thank you.

jamesbere wrote: »
    We'd have to change it to O'Taylor or even better O'Taelor plus give her a transfusion of pure Gaelic blood, so Rebelheart doesn't have a Myocardial Infarction. :D

• Advertisement

Finally, somebody has something constructive to say.

Although judging by the political opinions expressed here so far, I'd say MacCurtain Street rather than Victoria Street would be the renamed street.

You're losing the run of yourself there. Too many erratic exclamation and questions marks. Deep breaths. Come back when you've constructed a coherent argument, preferably ad rem. Thank you.
    A coherent argument to what??? Not much coherence to argue with on your side.

We'd have to change it to O'Taylor or even better O'Taelor plus give her a transfusion of pure Gaelic blood, so Rebelheart doesn't have a Myocardial Infarction. :D

Calm down. Deep breaths. Oxygen ==> brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Rebelheart did you miss my comprehensive list of changed street names?

Page one my friend. :)

I'm not sure renaming Victoria street would be a such a tribute to Katie Taylor, since it's about 50 metres long off of a side street.

Calm down. Deep breaths. Oxygen ==> brain.
    Says Mr Rebelrant'heart. :D

I'm not sure renaming Victoria street would be a such a tribute to Katie Taylor, since it's about 50 metres long off of a side street.

Thats true, I think that there might be better streets to name after her. To be honest Sonia O Sullivan is a cork woman so maybe we could start with her

Thank you, KCAccidental. It was one of the more constructive contributions to the thread. May all your children be bishops.

Alas, I was expecting most of the streets of Cork to have a similar spirit, not have entire areas around the place still named after the Famine Queen (apparently they've re-erected some statue honouring that queen in UCC recently), Wellesley and the rest of them.

What with Eoghan Harris and John A. Murphy being the most high profile political commentators from Cork, and your recent Lord Mayor talking enthusiastically about the great "honour" it was to Cork city when the English crown gave the prefix 'Lord' to the mayor's title, and seemingly every second Cork person making a huge deal over the welcome they supposedly gave last year to the latest Queen of England, the place seems to have a distinct disconnect from its own heritage, as opposed to the heritage which the British imposed upon Cork people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Thats true, I think that there might be better streets to name after her. To be honest Sonia O Sullivan is a cork woman so maybe we could start with her

Be careful of incurring their wrath - Sonia is from Cobh, not Cork.

Also, this thread is the result of a dare on the PROC. Don't feed the trolls.

I agree. Just looked at Google Maps and Wellington Road, Victoria Road, Albert Road, George's Quay, Albert Quay spring immediately to mind. There's loads more there. It's depressing that Sonia hasn't got one of them, or any street. She was a hero. Maybe if she won the gold....

evilivor wrote: »
    Also, this thread is the result of a dare on the PROC.

:confused: I'm sure you have evidence of this (quite silly) claim?

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    Be careful of incurring their wrath - Sonia is from Cobh, not Cork.

Also, this thread is the result of a dare on the PROC. Don't feed the trolls.

To be honest I don't take much notice of street names. They could name one of them Sesame Street for all care. :D

But naming a couple after some of our sporting hero's would not be a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

To be honest I don't take much notice of street names. They could name one of them Sesame Street for all care. :D

But naming a couple after some of our sporting hero's would not be a bad idea.

we do that too in Cork...

Christy Ring bridge!

we do that too in Cork...

Christy Ring bridge!

I'm thinking more along the lines of the last 20 years,

I know about Christy Ring bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

I agree. Just looked at Google Maps and Wellington Road, Victoria Road, Albert Road, George's Quay, Albert Quay spring immediately to mind. There's loads more there. It's depressing that Sonia hasn't got one of them, or any street. She was a hero. Maybe if she won the gold....
    You obviously missed Patrick Street, Parnell Place, Oliver Plunkett Street, Liberty Street, Washington Street (named after George Washington - can't get much more republican than that), Collins Barracks, Kent Station, not to mention all the Irish-ey placenames like Cobh, Carrigaline, Carrigrohane, Ballincollig ...

The title Lord Mayor is not unique to Cork, Dublin has a Lord Mayor as well. Dublin also has a:
    Dorset Street
    Kings Streer North
    Queen Street
    Whitworth Road
    Elizabeth Street
    Sandiwith Street
    Wellington Quay
    Victoria Quay.

So are you pissed off that Dublin also "revels in having a British Lord Mayor" or whatever and hasn't change all these street names because all Dubs are closet die hard Anglophiles? ...

Or do you accept that these things were handed down to us by history and most people don't care about them, one way or the other.

Oh and I lived in Dublin for a while, that must mean I spent the whole time drinking Pimms, watching Rugby and Cricket, singing God Save the Queen and I was delighted when the Queen visited, (even though I was more like pissed off with all the trouble it caused).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

I don't know about the rest of yee posters but I love the British Queen

potato.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cork was the jewell in the crown, we were Royal indeed we were and are still very royal. At one time we had our own stock exchange when Dublin did not, we exported the most from most British ports are were second only to London in paying royalties.

The mayor [Lord] was the second most powerful man in the UK. He was extrEmely rich and was the Admiral of the British Naval base in Cork. His power and juristicton was immense.

Cork was the second city and we received many benefits. The Rebel Part came from West Cork wher parts never were occupied. Much fighting took place around Cork because it was Loyalist target and if it fell the rebellion would be almost assured to succeed. Militarily Cork was more important than Dublin.

Read how the great ambush failed when the Auxillaries went to Dublin Hill instead of Dublin Pike. The war would have been lost and that 'victory' also give credence to the Rebel County myth. The war was won from that escape made possible by a British mistake.

As seen by the Union Jack flying over City Hall on many occasions and St Patrick's day parades held up for two hours for minor royally ~ we are still royal oh and not to mention the freedom of the city to John Major

gbee wrote: »
    Cork was the jewell in the crown, we were Royal indeed we were and are still very royal. At one time we had our own stock exchange when Dublin did not, we exported the most from most British ports are were second only to London in paying royalties.

The mayor [Lord] was the second most powerful man in the UK. He was extrEmely rich and was the Admiral of the British Naval base in Cork. His power and juristicton was immense.

Cork was the second city and we received many benefits. The Rebel Part came from West Cork wher parts never were occupied. Much fighting took place around Cork because it was Loyalist target and if it fell the rebellion would be almost assured to succeed. Militarily Cork was more important than Dublin.

Read how the great ambush failed when the Auxillaries went to Dublin Hill instead of Dublin Pike. The war would have been lost and that 'victory' also give credence to the Rebel County myth. The war was won from that escape made possible by a British mistake.

As seen by the Union Jack flying over City Hall on many occasions and St Patrick's day parades held up for two hours for minor royally ~ we are still royal oh and not to mention the freedom of the city to John Major
    The "rebel" part comes from the support people of Cork City gave to the pretender Perkin Warbeck in 1491 during the English War of the Roses.
    And it was The Rebel City.

Also most battles and wars are won by the loosing side making mistakes, actually it's usually a case of the winners just making less mistakes and often luck.
    If every battle won by an opponents mistakes was called a "victory" with inverted commas, then books about conflict would be so full of the things as to make them unreadable.

If every battle won by an opponents mistakes was called a "victory" with inverted commas, then books about conflict would be so full of the things as to make them unreadable.

As is most of Irish history. But we've that well covered in another thread. The point is Cork, like Dublin never wanted to be freed! :)

gbee wrote: »
    As is most of Irish history. But we've that well covered in another thread. The point is Cork, like Dublin never wanted to be freed! :)

This the people of Cork particularly appreciated and it really brought their loyalty to King and Country right up to uncontrollable fever pitch.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnxya6eHopiZ4DkW5SIbIL2LkzWWZeByznPIkD41aWnd1-86GZqQ

And sure gbee there was no appetite for independence whatsoever, I guess that's why during the 1918 election Sinn Féin won every single seat in the county and city, including electing one the two loyal subjects pictured below, both of whom were Lord Mayors of the Royal City.

150px-Tomasmacurtain.jpgMacswiney.jpg

Well done by the way for taking over from the other one. ♫ It's the season to be merry, troll la la la la, la la la laaa.

• Advertisement

Well done by the way for taking over from the other one. ♫ It's the season to be merry, troll la la la la, la la la laaa.

Quite sad actually, the two men in those pictures died at the hands of the British Government.

If you don't want to accept history, you're just a little less rich for it.

Advertisement