Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012: Why is Cork city still so anglicised?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

gbee wrote: »
    Quite sad actually, the two men in those pictures died at the hands of the British Government.

If you don't want to accept history, you're just a little less rich for it.
    :confused:

The only way your post makes any sense is if .....
    1. you are not very bright,
    2. you are making a bad attempt at trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

:confused:

The only way your post makes any sense is if .....

2. you are making a bad attempt at trolling.

Sad to say, you seem to a little short in Cork history, I'm not surprised you are confused. Cllr. Kieran McCarthy has excellent articles and books and though not an actual history book, the story of the fire service for the last 150 years in Cork is one of the most revealing accounts of people on the ground in the City.

Sad to say, you seem to a little short in Cork history,
    Show your evidence for this statement.

Show your evidence for this statement.

See this is the problem, I already hav. Back in the days of the horse drawn carriage and delivery dray, we used to put blinkers on the horses do they would see only one way and they were easily lead in the direction we wanted them to go.

In your parlance, you must take off your metaphorical blinkers if you want to see the overall picture. Believe me it's a rich history. Full of betrayal from our friends and kindness from our enemies as well as war crimes on both sides.

See this is the problem, I already hav. Back in the days of the horse drawn carriage and delivery dray, we used to put blinkers on the horses do they would see only one way and they were easily lead in the direction we wanted them to go.

In your parlance, you must take off your metaphorical blinkers if you want to see the overall picture. Believe me it's a rich history. Full of betrayal from our friends and kindness from our enemies as well as war crimes on both sides.
    So you don't have any.
    Well in that case, slán agat.

• Advertisement

So you don't have any.
    Well in that case, slán agat.

Welcome to the enlightened world, you will enjoy it. I'll pass on yor comment to some of the local historians, they'll love it.

OT, BTW, I voted Sinn Fein.

Welcome to the enlightened world, you will enjoy it. I'll pass on yor comment to some of the local historians, they'll love it.

OT, BTW, I voted Sinn Fein.
    Just a final note.
    Do indeed pass them on, though if they are familiar with sarcasm, the results of the 1918 elections and the political leanings of the two gentlemen I pictured, they might look at you a little oddly if you try to tell them "I seem to be a little short in Cork history".
    Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And if Obama had visited there would be pictures of him.

Foreign Head of State visits market, seen to really enjoy themselves. Images of visit broadcast in Head of State's home country which happens to be our nearest neighbour and close trading partner = Great publicity.

Seems like a no-brainer to me but then I am most likely one of those Anglicised Cork people the OP is whittering on about with my excellent diction, erudite command of the English language and wide knowledge of life beyond the confines of this island. Plus I have been on the BBC.

:rolleyes:
    I remember you now. Didn't you play Elsie Tanners window cleaner in Coronation St. You know, the fellow who was hit by lorry delivering ale to t'Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dont know what all the protesting is all about,place and town names are just about the area history,nothing to do with person being anglo or irish ect,i live in a area postal address called poulton -le flyde it does not make me norman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

getz wrote: »
    dont know what all the protesting is all about,place and town names are just about the area history,nothing to do with person being anglo or irish ect,i live in a area postal address called poulton -le flyde it does not make me norman

Poulton-Le-Fylde? That's posh Blackpool isn't it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Posh up north are you having a giraffe.

yep across the river from fleetwood

Posh up north are you having a giraffe.

OT, but If you're going to use Cockney rhyming slang, the proper phrase is either bubble bath or tin bath. Giraffe is Mockney! :D

And yes - Oop North, most of it is a khazi, but bits of Lancs, York and Cumbria are truly beautiful.

OT, but If you're going to use Cockney rhyming slang, the proper phrase is either bubble bath or tin bath. Giraffe is Mockney! :D

And yes - Oop North, most of it is a khazi, but bits of Lancs, York and Cumbria are truly beautiful.
    ee by gum lad you got it,put wood in hole its drafty

Out of curiosity, what would be the slang for Bath? Right ole Laugh? :)

Out of curiosity, what would be the slang for Bath? Right ole Laugh? :)

Actually, you're correct. Slang for a bath is laugh!!

Actually, you're correct. Slang for a bath is laugh!!
    FFS ... lol
    How the hell did those people ever get an empire. :D

FFS ... lol

mate of mine reckons that the slang was started by paddies working on the docks, specifically the Millwall Docks

re ryming slang, the great thing about it, is like engerlish no rules.

It evolves

FFS ... lol

they had an army made up of paddies, run by paddies who did not follow their instructions

and you sir are having a turkish

• Advertisement

and you sir are having a turkish

Actually, I am MADAM to you! :D And I'm a bona fide Cockney.

Actually, I am MADAM to you! :D And I'm a bona fide Cockney.

Sorry for your troubles Mrs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

jamesbere wrote: »
    Well that was a waste of a few mins.

You must have a fairly stress free life if this is all that is bothering you.

First world problem :D
    Bobby Sands had First World Problems too, does that make his hunger strike groundless?

Chloris wrote: »
    Bobby Sands had First World Problems too, does that make his hunger strike groundless?[/QUOTEI

Technically, Bobby committed suicide by refusing medical assistance. It was HIS own choice.

I was just kidding, my argument makes no logical sense whatever way you look at it. You're absolutely right that he chose to kill himself.

On an side track, I reckon his campaign wasn't supposed to be about his death, but to highlight the right he was being denied; they wouldn't give him the right to be legally recognised as a Political Prisoner - they classed him and those who he fought with as Terrorists and belittled the movement behind them, ignoring their demands and refusing to enter into a peace process with them thus. His campaign and subsequent death drew attention to this massively important injustice and people all over the world began to look at colonisation in a different way as a result.

I'm not saying that the methods of the IRA are something I agree with, I'm just saying that it challenged people to look at the supposedly terrorist side and the law enforcement side on an equal footing.

I was just kidding, my argument makes no logical sense whatever way you look at it. You're absolutely right that he chose to kill himself.

On an side track, I reckon his campaign wasn't supposed to be about his death, but to highlight the right he was being denied; they wouldn't give him the right to be legally recognised as a Political Prisoner - they classed him and those who he fought with as Terrorists and belittled the movement behind them, ignoring their demands and refusing to enter into a peace process with them thus. His campaign and subsequent death drew attention to this massively important injustice and people all over the world began to look at colonisation in a different way as a result.

I'm not saying that the methods of the IRA are something I agree with, I'm just saying that it challenged people to look at the supposedly terrorist side and the law enforcement side on an equal footing.
    IRA committed terrorist activity in northern ireland,the republic,and england,also killed more fellow irishmen during the troubles than the english did, and their offshoots are still bombing shooting killing ironically only irish citizens mostly in republican and national areas in the north ,not british citizens, should they be classed as political prisoners also,

getz wrote: »
    IRA committed terrorist activity in northern ireland,the republic,and england,also killed more fellow irishmen during the troubles than the english did, and their offshoots are still bombing shooting killing ironically only irish citizens mostly in republican and national areas in the north ,not british citizens, should they be classed as political prisoners also,
    I absolutely don't agree with what the I.R.A. do, I'm just saying that to not grand the special status of Political Prisoner to people imprisoned for political actions and uprisings is disrespectful. You're denying a reality if you deny the fact that they're political prisoners!

I absolutely don't agree with what the I.R.A. do, I'm just saying that to not grand the special status of Political Prisoner to people imprisoned for political actions and uprisings is disrespectful. You're denying a reality if you deny the fact that they're political prisoners!
    yes in many cases i do and so does the rest of the world ,the definition of a political prisoner according to the UN is a person who has been imprisoned for holding or advocating dissenting political views, and amnesty international policy that it only applies to prisoners who have not committed or advocated violence,now tell me that the IRA was a church loving group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

you should go on to another cork forum with this wind up. you'd get the response your fragile ego requires!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

you should go on to another cork forum with this wind up. you'd get the response your fragile ego requires!
    Could not see it working as most of the posters would be to smart to fall for it.

Advertisement