Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the East Wall area

Options
  • 01-08-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi

I'm starting college in Trinity in September and just found a room in East Wall. Can anyone tell about the area? Is it nice and more importantly, safe?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enormous thread on East Wall here.
    Read it all and see how attitudes change over the years and depending on what is in the news.

It's an old lower income area with a lot of new apartments and people who bought in during the boom. Quite a high elderly population and a large number of houses rented in flats or house shares. Limited bus service, if you needed that. Not great for large supermarkets, but plenty of local shops. A short walk to North Strand gives you access to a large selection of buses going all over the place - Tallaght, Dundrum, Howth, Malahide etc..

It's on the northside, so there are some here think that it is next to Hades.

I don't consider anywhere in Dublin to be 'not safe', so I can't help you there really. Use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cat87

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

spurious wrote: »
    Enormous thread on East Wall here.
    Read it all and see how attitudes change over the years and depending on what is in the news.

It's an old lower income area with a lot of new apartments and people who bought in during the boom. Quite a high elderly population and a large number of houses rented in flats or house shares. Limited bus service, if you needed that. Not great for large supermarkets, but plenty of local shops. A short walk to North Strand gives you access to a large selection of buses going all over the place - Tallaght, Dundrum, Howth, Malahide etc..

It's on the northside, so there are some here think that it is next to Hades.

I don't consider anywhere in Dublin to be 'not safe', so I can't help you there really. Use common sense.

Pretty much a bang on description of the place.

I wouldn't live there again, but it's been about 8 years since I lived there, so any of my own experiences are pretty much out of date so I won't go into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Really depends on where exactly in East Wall you are looking at. The main roads (Church, East and West Roads) can be slightly hairy at times but the smaller roads and cul de sacs inside would have a nice settled vibe.

Shop wise you are slightly limited, bar a Gala and Centra that's about your lot, there is a butcher on Church Road. Your nearest supermarkets will be M&S in the IFSC or Tesco on Talbot Street.

Transport wise you have the Luas and 2 bus routes so slightly limited. The good news is that you're only a ten minute cycle to Trinity (cross the Liffey at the Becket, turn right, then left on Erne Street and then right down Pearse Street to Trinity).

Thanks guys! I think I'll pass on that place so, is Ringsend any better? or should I just stick to the city centre! It's tough looking for places when I don't really know Dublin :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

cat87 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I think I'll pass on that place so, is Ringsend any better? or should I just stick to the city centre! It's tough looking for places when I don't really know Dublin :confused:

For Trinity I'd look into Dublin 8 tbh, cheaper than Ringsend and a better selection.

Ah cheers I'll have a look now on Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ringsend and Irishtown are surprisingly pricy for rent
    Definitely more then East Wall across the river

I'd also recommend you look at Dublin 8
    Great bus service down to college green or an easy cycle if you're going to bike it

If you are happy to be on the Dart line and want reasonable rent I'd recommend Fairview or Killester. Get off at Pearse and you can walk into the Trinity grounds
    Ok fair enough, a bit away from Trinity but you have the Dart, bus or a cycle

Advertisement