Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Box Open

Options
  • 01-08-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

i came back from shopping today at 2.00pm to find the UPC Junction box outside my house completely open, the cover was standing 3 feet from it and several of the cables are exposed. I tried to keep the local children away from it.

I checked the neigbours and my next door neighbour said a UPC engineer was at her house sorting out On Demand.

I rang UPC 2 hours later and informed them of the situation, her manager told me he was emailing the engineering department and that they would be back today to sort it out as its a safety risk.

Its now 5.40pm and box is still open and no sign of an engineer.

Any ideas what I could do next, what are UPC's operating hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Try prop the cover back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i thought about that, had a look at cover, its needs some sorta special tool to be put back on.

Then again, if i tried that, and some child was to be injured, wouldn't i be liable for interfering with it.

Thought about contacting Live Chat, but there gone offline.

Typical UPC, wouldn't say there is any high voltage running through the box then again I could be wrong. Id just sit the cover over the front of it for the time being and wait till UPC sorts it out.

i put my garden bench across in front if it and put a cable tie across me gate to stop children from coming in.

Talk about health & safety though. :rolleyes:

lol make sure they don't send out the same installer :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i came back from shopping today at 2.00pm to find the UPC Junction box outside my house completely open, the cover was standing 3 feet from it and several of the cables are exposed. I tried to keep the local children away from it.

I checked the neigbours and my next door neighbour said a UPC engineer was at her house sorting out On Demand.

I rang UPC 2 hours later and informed them of the situation, her manager told me he was emailing the engineering department and that they would be back today to sort it out as its a safety risk.

Its now 5.40pm and box is still open and no sign of an engineer.

Any ideas what I could do next, what are UPC's operating hours?

Its nearly always open in Farmleigh. UPC open till 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Those junction boxes can have up to 100v running through them to power the local amps,I'd get on to UPC again if I were you.

update:

3 UPC vans, yeah your not seeing things, thats 3 have just showed up. They was standing at the gate for a minute or two, was wondering why, then it hit me the bloody cable ties. :D

Anyways they just said they'd sort it. No apology. There working on something past few minutes.

edit:
    they've just left, said it looked like someone was messing with it. I said yeah there was an UPC engineer there this morning as i told UPC support, just looked at each other and off they went.

Typical Irish takes three UPC vans to put a cover back on a box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

stevek93 wrote: »

that sounds very much like business as usual to me!

2yrs ago when I requested a call out they arranged for a crew from Dublin to come out until the crew rang me and were informed I was in Waterford.

They even managed to repeat this the 2nd time so glad I waived em goodbye:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

stevek93 wrote: »

If they were Irish .......could be polish ......why it took them so long to arrive

2yrs ago when I requested a call out they arranged for a crew from Dublin to come out until the crew rang me and were informed I was in Waterford.

Please give this Dublin **** a rest for once , im from Dublin but i live in Waterford and im fed up hearin bout this" ooohhh coz im from waterford the DUBLIN HETHANS wont service me" ...if ya want fuggin servicin get a prostitute ...everyones in the same fuc*kin boat ...yes even ME A DUB ...so ur just really startin to sound WELL stupid as u Waterfordonians like to say ....oh and yes ....THE BLAA IS JUST A BLEEDIN BAP ....now behave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

war_child wrote: »
    oh and yes ....THE BLAA IS JUST A BLEEDIN BAP ....now behave
    You do realise that you may be banned now or at least exiled to Kilkenny. :) I think that the phone support for UPC was moved to Limerick a few years ago. UPC's addressing system (on its website) is still a bit strange so with similar street names in various UPC nets, that might cause problems.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Please give this Dublin **** a rest for once , im from Dublin but i live in Waterford and im fed up hearin bout this" ooohhh coz im from waterford the DUBLIN HETHANS wont service me" ...if ya want fuggin servicin get a prostitute ...everyones in the same fuc*kin boat ...yes even ME A DUB ...so ur just really startin to sound WELL stupid as u Waterfordonians like to say ....oh and yes ....THE BLAA IS JUST A BLEEDIN BAP ....now behave

Believe it or not the world doesn't revolve around the dubs,
    I think the poster meant that UPC assigned a crew that was BASED in Dublin to service a contract in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Relax.

michellie wrote: »
    Relax.

Dya know what michellie i dont normally get in to banter back and forward on this but i have to be honest, ive lived in Waterford for a year now and i check Boards to find out stuff goin on here, but seems everytimei check the threads decend in to Dublin bashin.

Now on the whole most Waterfordonians ive met are reallynice and accomodatin but when i come on here and i see my home town bein slated for things just because its Dublin it really gets my goat up. In relation to the OP sayin she rang UPC and they sent a service team from Dublin highlighted , its not the end of the Universe its less than 2 hours on the motorway. So im askin please of everyone to leave the bashin out. Its really giving me a sour taste in my mouth about Waterford ...cheers all

Nypd wrote: »
    Believe it or not the world doesn't revolve around the dubs,
    I think the poster meant that UPC assigned a crew that was BASED in Dublin to service a contract in Waterford.

As i said its not the end of the universe , just 2 hours on the motorway, and i never thought the world revolve around dublin or the Dubs , if i thought that NYPD i would still be living there simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dya know what michellie i dont normally get in to banter back and forward on this but i have to be honest, ive lived in Waterford for a year now and i check Boards to find out stuff goin on here, but seems everytimei check the threads decend in to Dublin bashin.

Now on the whole most Waterfordonians ive met are reallynice and accomodatin but when i come on here and i see my home town bein slated for things just because its Dublin it really gets my goat up. In relation to the OP sayin she rang UPC and they sent a service team from Dublin highlighted , its not the end of the Universe its less than 2 hours on the motorway. So im askin please of everyone to leave the bashin out. Its really giving me a sour taste in my mouth about Waterford ...cheers all

Where was the Dublin bashin'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I've never seen any Dublin bashing on this forum. Ever.

I think war_child that you misunderstood a post by danjo-xx and have created an issue that doesn't exist.

Maybe read back over the thread and chill a little. Waterford people are not that parochial these days (except perhaps when it comes to Kilkenny folks, but that's mutual).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If anything, its Kilkenny bashing that goes on around here and makes moderation a headache for years now! Now unless the cats are also claiming to be in Dublin, there is no Dublin bashing going around. Yes I know Waterford people are unhappy with how the media treats Dublin and the rest of the country outside of the big city, but nobody is bashing Dublin specifically. They are complaining about the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

As i said its not the end of the universe , just 2 hours on the motorway, and i never thought the world revolve around dublin or the Dubs , if i thought that NYPD i would still be living there simple as that.

The point that NYPD was making is that UPC Centre in LIMERICK, often times forget to set the county / city setting on their CRM / Faults System to Waterford and the system in LIMERICK defaults to Dublin as that is their biggest area of coverage.

Did I mention their faults section is in Limerick, not Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

michellie wrote: »
    Relax.

I still fail to see where the Dublin bashing was there, sorry but your being a bit over sensitive here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Well a post like this just proves how wrong a person can get it!!

I'm actually a dub myself.

Re Prostitutes can you pm me a few numbers.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the dubs usually get a bashing over in the county forum for coming down to tramore during the summer on there hollydays and acting complete muppets!!! and also thinking that they own the bleeding place!!!!! other than thats i've never seen any other dub bashing on here either.

Advertisement