Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordering from Rose - some tips, etc

• 01-08-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

I ordered up some wheels from Rose recently along with some other bits and pieces. Thought I'd type up a few notes to help others who may be thinking of ordering from them:
    • First, sign up for the newsletter. You will get an email after a few days with a €10 money-off voucher code (min spend €50) Link
    • Next, sign up for a “Rosecard”. This is a loyalty card where you earn 2 cent for every Euro you spend (2%). The card will also come “pre-loaded” with €3. Link
    • When setting up your account, the address format is very confusing - most especially if you want it delivered to your place of work. My address ended up with the 2nd and 3rd lines swapped and I had to email them.
    • Shipping costs €7.95 for most things, E.G. I got wheels delivered for this price. If you want a bike, it’ll cost €48 including the box.
    • Rose – and some of the other German suppliers – appear to be a lot cheaper than Wiggle and ChainreactionCycles. I don’t know if this is because of the Euro or just because Wiggle got less competitive when they were sold off recently (link) and CRC are just following suit.
    • You can get a ROSE catalogue delivered free at any time or get one send with your order. A must have!
    • Once you get your Rosecard and have the email with your €10-off voucher, order up your stuff. (I did neither and lost out on €13 + points for my purchases :( )
    • Although they take Paypal, this option doesn’t appear to be available if the item you want is not in stock (i.e. my wheels) :confused:
    • Once finalised, you get an email from DHL with a link for your delivery. Although it looks like a traditional, door-to-door, DHL delivery, its not; DHL hand the stuff over to Deutschepost who then deliver to the main postal service in your country (in my case, An Post).
    • The DHL page seems to get “stuck” for days and then, suddenly the stuff is delivered. At this point, the DHL page still might say “The shipment has arrived in the destination country” but stay at 60%, with 2 steps left.
    • You can enter the DHL Shipment number (12 digit) into the An Post site (link) - or the relevant postal delivery service in your country - and this will give you a status update. As above, this may be a bit “lazy” and might only be useful to tell you when they received it rather than when you can expect delivery. In my case, with one of thepackages received, the site still says it's "ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER"
    • It took 8 working days for the stuff to get to me from Germany to Dublin. Bespoke items (hand-made wheels, bikes, etc) will probably take longer (They split my order and I haven't got the wheels yet).
    • I got a free Rose Mug as a gift!
    So not as easy to order from as their dearer UK competition, but then again, its not that hard either. I'm very interested to see what the wheels will be like, but so far, so good.

Now if only I could click on the order button for this: link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

route66 wrote: »
    Now if only I could click on the order button for this: link

I clicked on it for you, and it's looking for your credit card details. I selected the women's version, and in a size suited for my wife, but those are just details and I'll worry about those you just sort out the paying bit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

My cc number is doozerie123, exp 1/99, ccv 123.
    Get one for me too? Save on the shipping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Had the same problem with the address lines getting reversed. Emailed them and they fixed it on my order and said their IT people were going to fix it on the web site permanently, but they didn't as next time I ordered the same thing happened.

Good tips about the loyalty card - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wowitskev

Cheers for that! Just ordering some stuff now and this was perfectly timed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thanks for that. That exact bike is on my short list, so your efforts here may come in handy for me soon

• Advertisement

MediaMan wrote: »
    Had the same problem with the address lines getting reversed. Emailed them and they fixed it on my order and said their IT people were going to fix it on the web site permanently, but they didn't as next time I ordered the same thing happened.

Good tips about the loyalty card - thanks!

It's actually a bit worse than just lines getting reversed. When entering the first address line, the German format appears to be "Main Street 27" instead of the more common "27 main Street". It also asks you for the Country first and puts this on the first rather than the last line :confused: When I got the order confirmation, the address shown was truncated. That's ok, but this is what this address looked like:
    Country
    Name
    Address Line 2

When I emailed Rose, they didn't seem to think it was a problem, so I emailed them back and gave them an example of their own address with the lines swapped to demonstrate they were getting it wrong. The response I got was that either format would be ok in Germany. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got the stuff in the end but I have to say - as somebody who first entered his address into an online system in 1999 and has been a regular user of EBay, Amazon, Paypal, etc ever since - I found the process a little irritating :( I was tempted to enter my address into the special comments field provided, but didn't when the system advised me that using this required manual intervention and would therefore delay my order my 2 days.

Wonder how they ever managed to find our Dept of Finance ? ;)

Wheels came in today.

Special update for the impatient "F5ers" who are considering a purchase from Rose: The An Post site still says "
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER" and DHL says "The shipment is being prepared for delivery in the delivery depot"

The wheels? They're round, look true and appear
    strong, - can't say much more than that yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have gotten wheels from Rose before and all have been superbly built. I had the same issue with An Post/DHL, have no idea why, they were still en route a couple of days after I recieved them.

Wish I had known about the 2% but no matter, I know now, got my 10euro voucher in an e-mail today, thanks for the tips.

I applied for the loyalty card on the day that I read this (thanks again route66!) but I'm not sure what happens next. I didn't receive anything by e-mail to advise of a loyalty card, or code, having been issued for me and my login account has a section for loyalty card which simply says that I haven't earned any loyalty points yet - I'm not sure if that section existed in my account before.

Does anyone know whether you just automatically accrue points for purchases after you've applied, or do they perhaps ship something by post that you need to use to accrue points? It would seem odd that they'd post something like an actual card to you, but then I've also been (pleasantly) surprised at them posting out their printed catalogue too.

doozerie wrote: »
    I applied for the loyalty card on the day that I read this (thanks again route66!) but I'm not sure what happens next. I didn't receive anything by e-mail to advise of a loyalty card, or code, having been issued for me and my login account has a section for loyalty card which simply says that I haven't earned any loyalty points yet - I'm not sure if that section existed in my account before.

Does anyone know whether you just automatically accrue points for purchases after you've applied, or do they perhaps ship something by post that you need to use to accrue points? It would seem odd that they'd post something like an actual card to you, but then I've also been (pleasantly) surprised at them posting out their printed catalogue too.

On their website, it does show a card, but I'm not too sure if you actually get this - I haven't and I applied about 2 weeks ago.

Do you have a Rose account? If I log in to mine and then click into the "Vip area" (link), I see the following:

Date..........transaction.......valid from....valid until........points.....redeemable
    24.07.2012..credit note.......13.08.2012..24.07.2015......300........300
    26.07.2012..credit note.......15.08.2012..26.07.2015......364........364

.......................................................total redeemable points......0

So I got my 300 (€3) as a sign on bonus and 364 (2 points per Euro spent on my recent order) giving me 664 (€6.64) off my next purchase. Well, maybe - if you look closely, you will see that these points only become valid about 3 weeks after you "earn" them. Makes sense I suppose if they are trying to make you order more stuff again rather than just exploiting the scheme to save a few Euros on your first order ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Rose have become my default online store simply because they're significantly cheaper than anywhere else I've looked (even with postage). One thing though: when I did my first order I was surprised to receive an email asking me to pay by credit transfer directly to their bank in Hamburg. I was a bit suspicious and concerned that my own bank would charge me for the transfer thereby obviating the saving. However, I went ahead and, as far as I can see, have not been charged for using the transfer facility.

rflynnr wrote: »
    Rose have become my default online store simply because they're significantly cheaper than anywhere else I've looked (even with postage). One thing though: when I did my first order I was surprised to receive an email asking me to pay by credit transfer directly to their bank in Hamburg. I was a bit suspicious and concerned that my own bank would charge me for the transfer thereby obviating the saving. However, I went ahead and, as far as I can see, have not been charged for using the transfer facility.

When I went to pay with Paypal, it brought me into the paypal system as normal, but when I was brought back to the Rose site, it appeared to switch the payment to credit transfer. I've no idea why - maybe because they only accept Paypal if the good are in stock ???

Anyway, I then changed the payment to credit card and that went through as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Apparently Germany doesn't do card transactions so much. Direct bank transfer seems to be the preferred method for remote sales.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Apparently Germany doesn't do card transactions so much. Direct bank transfer seems to be the preferred method for remote sales.

As above, I paid with normal Credit Card in the end.

route66 wrote:
    Do you have a Rose account? If I log in to mine and then click into the "Vip area" (link), I see the following:

Ah yes, I do see the 300 points in there. Thanks! Either it took a few days for that to appear or, probably more likely, I completely didn't see it when I stared at that page a couple of days back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

its a hard site to get around imho,:D
    i'm looking to get a new front wheel
    mavic cxp33
    shimano dynamo hub 32 or 36 hole
    sapin spokes.
    how do i go about ordering that .

its a hard site to get around imho,:D
    i'm looking to get a new front wheel
    mavic cxp33
    shimano dynamo hub 32 or 36 hole
    sapin spokes.
    how do i go about ordering that .

Maybe look at the online catalogue - link - on page 491

They have Mavic A 319 rims and various dynamo option available but no cxp33 rims. For spokes, they say: "All ATB wheels come with DT Champion 2.0 mm spokes in silver." If you see something you like, "hover over" the part number and it will bring you into the online ordering system, e.g. link

If you don't like what they have available in their handbuilt range, you could always order up the bits they have available elsewhere in the catalogue and do it yourself or get them built somewhere else.

Once you know what you want, read my 837-point plan for success above and it'll all just work like magic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Thanks for the money-saving tips route66! I hadn't heard of Rose but will def. consider using them in future.

I see their 'rose card' signup page mentions:
    you will receive 1,500 Rose points for every new Rose customer referred by you who spends at least € 75.00

If you know how their referral system works (I can't see a 'referrer' field on their 'new customer signup' page?) I'd be happy to mention you if/when I sign up, so you can get some extra credit for that initial helpful post :)

Mentioning it here in case others weren't aware of the referral option and might be similarly happy to give you the nod if it's just mentioning a name. (I hope offering to use someone as a referrer isn't against boards rules, but mods can slap my wrist if so!)

No problem & thanks for the offer.

PM me if you're putting an order in and I'll give you my details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

davenewt wrote: »
    Mentioning it here in case others weren't aware of the referral option and might be similarly happy to give you the nod if it's just mentioning a name. (I hope offering to use someone as a referrer isn't against boards rules, but mods can slap my wrist if so!)

MOD VOICE: Not at all, in fact, if theres options for more than one please PM me for my e-mail ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

How long should delivery take?

I ordered new gear shifters on Jan 31st, still not here :(

It's my first order with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I ordered new gloves and mudguards last Tuesday (5th Feb) and it all arrived yesterday (12th). Got a free cereal bowl too, which I nearly missed and threw in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I ordered new gloves and mudguards last Tuesday (5th Feb) and it all arrived yesterday (12th). Got a free cereal bowl too, which I nearly missed and threw in the bin.

Looks like I'll have to get onto them.

I originally ordered through the website but got an email to say the item was out of stock. They refunded me and then emailed me to say they got the parts for me. I had to pay with credit card and it was through direct emails with a girl in the office, so I never got a tracking number.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

funny, you order small things, you get a free mug or a cereal bowl

a 2500 bike and you get a free water bottle...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tonycon28

ozzy jr wrote: »
    How long should delivery take?

I ordered new gear shifters on Jan 31st, still not here :(

It's my first order with them.

I ordered some wheels and a few bits and bobs on the 29th Jan and they arrived on the 7th Feb.

I placed a second order with Rose for some bits in January this year and wanted to report some good customer service.

Amongst the stuff I ordered for my then-new Felt Z6, I got an aluminium chain deflector (link) to help to keep my new carbon frame nice. I fitted this and all was well until the bike fell over when "parked". I emailed Rose and explained the situation:
    My bike fell over recently and the deflector didn't stop the chain coming off. When I attempted to refit the chain, the deflector broke off. I can send you pictures if you wish.

I would like another one - is the failure covered under warranty? If not, I can buy another one but the cost is very high if I have to pay postage.
    I suspect my ham-fisted attempt to get the chain back on might have contributed to the failure. I am also aware that a deflector doesn't work when the pedals aren't turning. I was therefore very happy when they replied with:
    we´ll send a new one for free.
    And they did. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Very nice to hear that. They could have easily stood firm and made you buy a new one.

Advertisement