Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medela Swing pump?

Options
  • 01-08-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

My baby is now 9 weeks and after a tricky start with BF things are going well. I presume my supply is now established enough to start pumping? I'm thinking of getting the Medela Swing having looked into a few pumps. Has anyone used this and how did you get on? Would love to get expressing sorted to allow me a bit more freedom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's a great pump. Expressing was always quick and I never found it uncomfortable. I generally only pumped once a week so I could go to a Pilates class but as he got older I used it more especially if we were going out or on the rare ocassion getting away for a night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Junior is 5 days old now, got a swing yesterday, and have already managed 2 full feeds, its so so quick and easy. It was 130 in boots and included in the 3 for 2.
    I have to pump and its a godsend!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is a brilliant pump well worth buying.

If I remember correctly Tony Kealys was the cheapest place when I bought mine. They also stock spare parts. The pharmacy on the too level of Dundrum shopping centre were selling it for €165!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

How long do you express for? As In how long for the child's life...not how long in one sitting lol

If its just for a short while, you can hire the pumps instead of buying them...I hired one for my first and used it for the first few weeks.

If its somethin you're going to do for the first year obviously buying one is the better option...but just thought I'd mention the renting option just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I bought a nearly new one through adverts.ie. Very easy to use and clean. Also almost everything is available as a spare part if it somehow becomes damaged/worn, so the pump itself really is a one-off expense; everything else is reasonably priced.

One thing I would recommend is trying to set a couple of bottles aside in the freezer for emergencies. I had to get up in the middle of the night to do mine as it was the only time I could be sure I wouldn't have to feed it straight back to him. Sat unused in the cold for a couple of months, but I was so glad I had it when he ended up in hospital as they wanted to feed him more than I could pump in a day. Also v useful if you feel ill yourself and don't want to risk passing on something like food poisoning.

I used the lansinoh bags which I bought in mothercare. They were the cheapest and there were 100 in a box so they lasted for months. I'd label them by date and how much. I always stored less than 4oz at a time so it wasn't wasted. Squeeze all the air out before sealing and store them flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Just to say that Tesco have own brand storage bags....

They are a good bit cheaper than Lansinoh and I used both and can't say I noticed any difference in them.

Also, Avent have little tubs that work with their bottle teats, handy if you are using Avent bottles anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we got this one last time round. its a double pump. medicare also rent them out

http://www.medicare.ie/mother-baby/medela-breast-pumps-feeding-accessories/medela-freestyle-breast-pump.html

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Same consideration as posted before, if its for short time many uses, or long time fewer uses... I bought it, great pump, I had to pump 8 times daily at start because of problems BF, so as soon as that was sorted I couldn't stand even the sight of the thing :p I wish I had hired it then, because I tried using it with my second and it basically died after a couple of uses because I used it so much the first time. So if its just to have feeds in the freezer for a bit freedom now and again, I would hire it, if you intend to continue expressing for many months then defo worth buying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Decided to bite the bullet and buy it as I plan to BF until six months anyway, and longer depending on how things go. It's for sale in Tony Kealy's (nearest to me) for 135 at the moment if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I wish I had hired it then, because I tried using it with my second and it basically died after a couple of uses because I used it so much the first time.

Hope you checked the warranty etc - they're expensive bits of kit to be breaking down!

OP, I find it great. I asked for B00ts vouchers as presents and used them. It's a great wee machine, small and portable. B00ts also do the storage bags if you're looking and I use the bottles that my baby rejected for storage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

yep only 12 months warranty on them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just started using this and its brilliant. Really easy to use and I managed to express a good few ounces in 20 minutes. Would recommend to others, well worth the price.

Advertisement